kturner
kturner New Reader
11/10/08 4:41 p.m.

The grassroots forum has come through before so I'll give it a shot. My car got rolled at a recent event and I am in need of an "adjustment." I'm looking for a race car / grm friendly body shop in NJ (closer to somerset county the better). I basically need to get the thing close again before cutting into it and would like to try and find a shop before I attempt to tree and backhoe it straight. Here's a pict of the front, rear is in need of alignment as well.

This also gives me an idea for grm as well. Like Cartalk's mechanics listing a grm friendly shop listing by state or whatever would be cool (not sure if the sponsors would like it).

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
11/10/08 5:06 p.m.

I suggest going to Atlanta and picking up a Metalmantastic deal.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/10/08 6:11 p.m.

I grew up in Somerset Co, but I can't help. That was MANY years ago.

I just wanted to say, "I grew up in Somerset County".

Good luck!

Out of curiosity- What is it you are looking for? You want them to just pull it a bit straighter so you can cut it up? I don't understand what you are asking.

I would think you could bu hourly time on a frame rack at any body shop.

kturner
kturner New Reader
11/10/08 7:37 p.m.

I need the front "frame" rail and horn straightened out as well the rear drivers 1/4, c-pillar, strut tower and door jam. The picture really doesn't show the back. I need the support stuff pulled out before it gets new skin. Need a friendly place because it might be considered too much for a street car however the cage kept most of it straight. I can take care of the cosmetic stuff but my equipment isn't as exacting as a frame rack (never used one but I am sure I could figure it out). It'll be good at 25ft. and at speed again soon with a little work.

geowrx2
geowrx2 New Reader
11/10/08 9:32 p.m.

try Union county vo-tech for free or whatever. It is located on Terrill Road in Scotch Plains. I have taken auto body course there and they have frame machine...

Otherwise all I can offer is regular body shops.

Geo Clark, NJ

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
11/11/08 5:49 a.m.

Cage or not, that body looks toast. What kind of car is it? For the price of the pulls (I'm guessing between $1000 and $1500) could you find another donor for the body?

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
11/11/08 5:51 a.m.

IMHO you have a bent unibody. It may be straightened but it will never be right. The metal was weakened when it bent the first time. Then when straightened it bends again which further weakens it. Then to put it back on track and drive it under extreme conditions may be asking too much of the car. I just wrote off my race car and it wasn't as bent as yours. Sometimes it's better throw in the towel and start over than it is to beat a dead horse.

Safety comes first.

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
11/11/08 6:21 a.m.

Besides, if you buy a rolling tub... MORE SPARES!

kturner
kturner New Reader
11/11/08 7:02 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Cage or not, that body looks toast. What kind of car is it? For the price of the pulls (I'm guessing between $1000 and $1500) could you find another donor for the body?

It's a '93 Impreza. Shells are available. It is/was going to be a rally car which gets beat up pretty bad as is. Persuading it back into place and reinforcing is not uncommon. A reshell is still an option.

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
11/11/08 7:59 a.m.

I don't know why I thought it was a Miata...

Absolutely reshell it if it is a rally car.

Too many things rely upon the structural integrity of the unibody the most important being your skull.

There are enough beaten but not structurally Imprezas around, be safe.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
11/11/08 9:29 a.m.

Sorry...It looks like its toast to me.

kturner
kturner New Reader
11/11/08 10:11 a.m.
JmfnB wrote: I don't know why I thought it was a Miata... Absolutely reshell it if it is a rally car. Too many things rely upon the structural integrity of the unibody the most important being your skull. There are enough beaten but not structurally Imprezas around, be safe.

by reshell I mean cut out the cage and install in another shell.. so we are on the same page.

ChrisTaylor
ChrisTaylor New Reader
11/11/08 10:39 a.m.

If you're looking to compete in RallyAmerica remember they require cages be built to Article 253... if you've already got a logbook, I'd make sure you can swap over cages (I know that trick works in SCCA) but if you have to redo any tubes that might kick it, depending on how sticky they are about it.

The contrast between a fresh car and one built 5 years ago at these events, both of which have passed tech and have a logbook, is sometimes scary.

kturner
kturner New Reader
11/11/08 5:19 p.m.
ChrisTaylor wrote: If you're looking to compete in RallyAmerica remember they require cages be built to Article 253... if you've already got a logbook, I'd make sure you can swap over cages (I know that trick works in SCCA) but if you have to redo any tubes that might kick it, depending on how sticky they are about it. The contrast between a fresh car and one built 5 years ago at these events, both of which have passed tech and have a logbook, is sometimes scary.

no logbook yet, but cage is legal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mGKChyIZXf3A9fLccOk7aVguAf3Gc77KqfXB6mhqPC1x6CjUzssFIcdU8JOmh8x5