1 2 3
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
7/19/11 8:38 a.m.

In reply to FlightService:

I think you are probably right. But it still knocks off probably 10-20% of the car's value. I am sure the dealer recognized this fact when they bought it.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/19/11 10:23 a.m.

Thanks for the head's up on the negotiation point.

I'm sorry about the rant, rough day at work with people who were not speaking with data. These people are costing the company lots of money. Just touchy, once again I apologize. I respect most of this groups opinions.

Just for clarification, not for asking if anyone wants to buy me a 535xiT, just the rant.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/19/11 10:28 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: I am not saying you would fit in a 3, but tons of guys your height fit in them just fine. Then again, on this board lots of guys would claim that Manute Bol would fit in a Miata just fine if you just took some foam out of the seat.

I had a Miata with the foam flattened in the seat

and the rails mounting holes enlarged

and the armrest removed from the door

and my head still was above the windshield I could only operate the clutch in a certain motion, but it was fun when I only needed one seat, now I need 4.

Manute Bol would fit if you took the foam out, and cut him into pieces.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
7/19/11 10:36 a.m.

In reply to FlightService:

I didn't see it as a rant. In fact, I was reassessing my opinion on the whole thing. I'd personally still rather have a wagon, but then again, it is often a crime of opportunity for me. For example, there is an X3 with a 6-speed for sale in town but not a single manual wagon is to be found.

I sold my Miata last week. I was miserable trying to drive it with the top up. It was bearable for me with the top down but then again, I am two inches shorter than you.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
7/19/11 1:04 p.m.

I have no direct or indirect experience with BMWs, but looked at one of these with a manual trans in '08, a few weeks after the big economic meltdown. I had the money and was tempted, but don't have the knowledge/expertise and so I figured I was better off passing.

THAT said, the British magazine CAR rated the X3 in their GBU (Good, Bad, and Ugly section of the mag) as UGLY....calling it THE WORSE car built by BMW. They didn't change their rating until the 2nd gen. model came out.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/19/11 3:36 p.m.

Which is strange, treat it like a tall wagon or sedan and it is more than capable, hell it is more capable as an SUV impersonating a car than alot of cars.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/19/11 4:34 p.m.

Sounds like you need a Honda Fit. It pretty much matches up with the head room and leg room numbers you posted on the previous page. What can an X3 do that a Fit can't?

wagonfanatic
wagonfanatic New Reader
7/19/11 4:45 p.m.

Don't get an X3- go with an AWD wagon instead. An AWD E46 325iT is always a good buy- and could can find them in 5-speed. Cheaper and better.

Some good info here: http://velocityresource.com/E46Touring.aspx

The only reason to get an SUV is off road capability. It can't do that. Thus, get a wagon!!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/19/11 4:50 p.m.
wagonfanatic wrote: Don't get an X3- go with an AWD wagon instead. An AWD E46 325iT is always a good buy- and could can find them in 5-speed. Cheaper and better. Some good info here: http://velocityresource.com/E46Touring.aspx The only reason to get an SUV is off road capability. It can't do that. Thus, get a wagon!!

Do you guys not actually read before posting? After going through all of the responses in this thread, there are people I wouldn't mind punching in the face for the OP due to the responses

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/19/11 8:54 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Tow 3750 with a hitch height equal to my boat with AWD for the ramp

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/19/11 9:03 p.m.

wagonfanatic: This ones for you!

FlightService wrote: My height and tall children are what rule out the wagons. By the time I am comfortable my 4 seater just turned into a 3. In a 3 series my head brushes the roof. Towing is another issue, due to hitch height the X3, for what I need to move, is a better tow setup than the 3 or 5.
FlightService wrote: GPS, Otto and TJ Let's look at some at some facts here, Best in group in bold Front Head Room (in), Front Leg Room (in), Second Head Room (in), Second Leg Room (in), Wheelbase (in) 2004 BMW X3 4dr AWD 3.0i 39.3, 40.2, 39.4, 35.8, 110.8 2004 BMW 325xi 4dr Sports Wgn AWD 37.0, 41.4, 37.6, 34.4, 107.3 2007 BMW 4dr Sports Wgn 328xi AWD 38.5, 41.1, 38.0, 34.6, 108.7 2007 BMW 4dr Sports Wgn 530xiT AWD 37.6, 41.5, 37.6, 36.0, 113.6 In no circumstances, in anyway does the 3 series from any year have as much headroom as an X3. They have a little more leg room in the most recent model, but thanks to Bimmers being generous in that category I really don't have to worry about that either. The different seating position makes up for it, also. If I could get a sedan I am comfortable in, and can still use the backseat, I am looking at a newer 5, which I can't afford, previous gen I cramp the backseat. Most importantly I have been in many a 3, either my head hits the ceiling or I am in the back seat. Guys I am 6'4" with a 34 inch inseam, I won't fit in the 3. I understand the anti-SUV mentality on here, and most of the time I agree but, the X3 has more headroom and rear seat space than the 3 can be had with a stick, as a usable storage area (unlike the X5). The increased ride height allows me use on the dirt trails I use, as well as foul weather conditions (don't ask, I know the 80/20 rule here but it isn't worth the fight at the house, just like the xi's it does well in snow, let's leave it there.) A near 30 mpg hwy and 18 in town is respectable (owner reports). And I fit. So no, GPS, Otto and TJ are wrong, the X3 has more room, other than that it is a choice on function and it seems it does what I need and can afford now. Did I mention I don't fit in 3's because I am 6'4"?

I am tall!!!

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/19/11 9:07 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
wagonfanatic wrote: Don't get an X3- go with an AWD wagon instead. An AWD E46 325iT is always a good buy- and could can find them in 5-speed. Cheaper and better. Some good info here: http://velocityresource.com/E46Touring.aspx The only reason to get an SUV is off road capability. It can't do that. Thus, get a wagon!!
Do you guys not actually read before posting? After going through all of the responses in this thread, there are people I wouldn't mind punching in the face for the OP due to the responses

Can I send you a list?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/19/11 9:35 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Can I send you a list?

I have a lot of pent up anger, fire away!

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
7/20/11 8:12 a.m.

Why are you guys so angry? In response to the original poster, how about a wagon?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
7/20/11 8:29 a.m.

The X1 is also really nice. You should check it out if you live in Europe. Or perhaps a wagon?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/20/11 8:37 a.m.

Nah, since you're short in stature, you should by a wagon instead. I particularly recommend one with a sunroof. Besides, SUVs are only driven by sexually repressed soccer moms and those filthy Norwegians.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/20/11 11:10 a.m.

Miata with the top down has plenty of headroom. I'd get one of those.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/20/11 11:11 a.m.
FlightService wrote: In reply to T.J.: Tow 3750 with a hitch height equal to my boat with AWD for the ramp

fit is not a go. Sounds like you need a smallish SUV. Have you considered the BMW X3?

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/20/11 4:47 p.m.

I was actually think of a smart...

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/21/11 5:23 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Nah, since you're short in stature, you should by a wagon instead. I particularly recommend one with a sunroof. Besides, SUVs are only driven by sexually repressed soccer moms and those filthy Norwegians.

I am a sexually repressed man (married) and born in Germany does that count?

Vigo
Vigo Dork
7/21/11 11:49 a.m.

X3 seems to fit your wants and needs.

It is probably the sports car of small suvs and the engine/trans combo will earn some smiles.

The comment about small suvs being overly compromised vehicles is ridiculous to me. It's basically taking a small wagon and giving it MORE utility. Some small suv's have a LOT of space. The back (middle) seat in a rav-4 is VERY roomy and comfortable and with the 3.5/auto it WILL go faster than this bmw. I know that doesnt make you want one, but they can be impressive vehicles when viewed in certain ways.

The Rav4 and Kia Sportage now run 14s stock. LOL

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
7/21/11 1:22 p.m.

We have an '06 RAV4 with the V6 and it's pretty quick. I'm not crazy about the transmission shift points, but it has good torque down low, and an amazing midrange. It's been a good car for us, we get about 23-24 MPG in mixed driving and have gotten around 29 MPG (fully loaded) on a trip. Not too many vehicles can match decent size, decent power, good fuel economy, and AWD. It's a pretty ideal commuting appliance up here in the North East.

The sliding second row is a big plus! The biggest downside that I'll point out is that because of the seat belt configuration and space, it would be really tough to get 3 car seats across in the back.

It's no X3, but I think it's a pretty good bargain for what you get.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/23/11 7:55 a.m.

Well it's done,

I got her on Thursday, $15,021.81 plus TN taxes for $16250 out the door. That's better than everyone else I can find anywhere.

She's nice, I can find 4 flaws on the whole car. BMW symbol on the hood has paint coming off, Bolt cover on driver's side door pull is missing, small surface scuff on the leather of the center console, and the jerk driving it

After looking at and driving it for about 1K miles, I really don't understand why everyone was knocking it. It isn't nearly as top heavy as the other cross overs, it rides like a 3 with the sport pack. Has more head room and interior capacity.

I think of it as a BMW Forester. When it is time for tires, it will also be time for some Eibach springs. Then there will be less difference between it and the 330xiT,

Oh wait they didn't build that in 2004. only the 325xiT.

Poor little engine wagon people.

It got 28.3 mpg from Chattanooga to Morristown, doing the speed limit the whole way.

I can live with that.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am slightly relieved, very happy and a little sad. I bought a grown up car for grown up reasons. I'm not sure about that.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/23/11 12:43 p.m.

I forgot something, I fit

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/23/11 1:26 p.m.

Nice! That hood symbol is a "roundel" and they're cheap and easy to replace. Lots of online parts dealers have it for $20 or so, get the 2 plastic grommets that go into the hood to hold it in. Check at the slave cylinder for the infamous CDV and remove it if it's there. You can look up parts at realoem.com so you can replace that bolt cover. Enjoy your new bimmer!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
egqcBXAIwBLBgUAxa4Rl6xegobjiweN4KZffTBYBKybRDE8ePuQHmgB6F18ZlhgU