1 2 3
tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
4/13/13 9:37 a.m.

So I'm off to the auto parts store this morning. I get off the highway and I see this monstrous Dodge diesel truck come up in back of my F350. I can see his front bumper above my tailgate. We both turn left and head back under the highway. He lays back and guns it as we head under the highway. Black smoke and lots of noise emanate from behind me. I turn left into the parking lot as does he, except he has to wait for traffic to clear. I'm out of my truck and into the store before he comes to a stop. Inside the store, the Dodge driver is talking loud, making stupid jokes, and looking around to make sure everybody is looking at him. Chick behind the counter looks at me and rolls her eyes and generally tries her best to ignore the guy. I head back out to my truck 15 minutes or so later. There's his truck running with nobody in it. Thing is about 9 feet tall, 6" exhaust pipes sticking straight up behind the cab, wheels that look like some kind of gothic weapon, giant double shocks at all four corners, and every conceivable bolt on truck accessory you can think of. How did this guy escape one of the southern states?

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine New Reader
4/13/13 9:58 a.m.

No, they build them to run here. Its u damn yanks that make the stupid ones:-P Shoulda hopped in his truck and drove away ifthe keys were in it. Cops round here would laughed at him and let you off for teaching a lesson.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
4/13/13 9:59 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: wheels that look like some kind of gothic weapon

Nice.
Only a true baller can afford to leave his giant truckasaurus idling these days.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/13/13 10:19 a.m.
Jaxmadine wrote: No, they build them to run here. Its u damn yanks that make the stupid ones:-P Shoulda hopped in his truck and drove away ifthe keys were in it. Cops round here would laughed at him and let you off for teaching a lesson.

The cops here would have let you park it behind the station and given you a ride back to your truck, just to teach this knuckledragger a lesson.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/13/13 10:23 a.m.

I hate these trucks. I was hoping this fad would die several years ago, but it didn't. With the cost of gas, I'm surprised anyone drives those.

They really are compensation.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
4/13/13 10:23 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote:
Jaxmadine wrote: No, they build them to run here. Its u damn yanks that make the stupid ones:-P Shoulda hopped in his truck and drove away ifthe keys were in it. Cops round here would laughed at him and let you off for teaching a lesson.
The cops here would have let you park it behind the station and given you a ride back to your truck, just to teach this knuckledragger a lesson.

Around here, they would give the truck owner two tickets. One for letting it idle for more then 5 minutes, and the other for letting it unlocked. That one they call it "Incitement to crime". I'm serious, that really is a law around here.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
4/13/13 11:15 a.m.

One thing that I never understood is that, if Diesel engines are so tough and awesome, why do you have to leave them idling all the time?

The explanation I get is that most wear happens on startup. Gasoline engines run 200, 300 thousand miles no problem, hybrid engines even auto-stop when not needed and the engines never have problems... so my only conclusion is that Diesels are delicate flowers that need to be handled with dainty little gloves.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/13/13 11:19 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote:

Actually, they would arrest you for Grand Theft Auto and then take turns telling the guy how awesome his truck is and show him pictures of their Harley parked in front of a bar. Get your stereotypes right, will ya?

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
4/13/13 12:10 p.m.

Loosen the valve cores on all 4 tires....just enough for a slow leak.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
4/13/13 12:14 p.m.

Lifted diesels, mall crawlers, flatbiller transport devices, coal rollers....whatever they are called are becoming an epidemic. I have decided that they are to the 2010's what "ricers" were to the late 90's-2000's.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/13/13 12:21 p.m.

There is a similarly lifted F350 that I see driving around the New Castle DE area frequently. Its so tall that I can't see how its street legal.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/13/13 12:26 p.m.

There was one at my apartment complex. F350, extended cab, long box, lifted, big chrome wheels, chrome grille, etc... This is in Boston, where parking spaces are honda civic sized. There's also this jeep wrangler, newish, with HUGE gothic weapon-y looking wheels, complete with ultra knobby mudding tires. There's even a complete spare on the back. a couple weeks ago I drive past it and the whole thing is armor-all shiny, including the tread on the 4 tires that are touching the ground. Not just the sidewalls, the tread. The thing has never been less shiny than that. I keep thinking how those times I drove my E150 through the woods to get to my friend's cabin (on a fairly well maintained dirt road) was more 'mudding' than this jeep will ever experience. I never got the 'all for looks' off road vehicle. Then again I think SUV's are stupid and everybody should just drive vans. Maybe i'm weird.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/13/13 12:41 p.m.

The obnoxious in-store behavior didnt surprise me one bit. You just know this "bro" got picked on in high-school.

I've seen a related phenomenon up here: the kinda nerdy kid ( nothing wrong with that btw) who buys a Harley then proceeds to jump head first into the clothes, the jacket with the club affiliation, the sleeve tattoos, you name it. All HD all the time.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
4/13/13 1:12 p.m.

Since OP didn't take a picture of this monstrosity, I'll share what's running around my town.

This guy pulled into the spots (yes, he hogged more than one) next to a group of friends and me when we were out riding. He hopped out and sure as E36 M3, he had the gold chain around his neck, barbed wire tattoo around his arm, spiky hair, etc.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
4/13/13 1:18 p.m.

Since we've had a massive hail storm two weeks ago, I've seen dozens of roof repair companies out and about, and about half of them have lifted trucks with 19.5 or larger wheels on them. They do end up towing trailers with a pallet of roofing stuff, so I let that slide. Haven't seen too many of the Diesel Ricers around here, and I live in the south.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/13/13 1:25 p.m.

I'll speak for a lot of guys here (I hope, if not ignore and ridicule me)...

Purpose-built vehicles are often the coolest looking rides out there. A car built for a specific motorsport is almost always pretty awesome.

These things serve no purpose but to garner attention and ego-stroking which to me is kind of sad actually. As I get older, now 42, I feel nothing but sorry for these guys.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
4/13/13 1:57 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Since we've had a massive hail storm two weeks ago, I've seen dozens of roof repair companies out and about, and about half of them have lifted trucks with 19.5 or larger wheels on them. They do end up towing trailers with a pallet of roofing stuff, so I let that slide.

How does a lift help them tow trailers or haul heavy loads?

It seems every contractor here in the Oregon Willamette valley has a lifted truck. Usually 6" blocks so no increase in spring rate to increase load capacity. It makes loading/unloading the beds more difficult and requires a silly extended stinger to allow the trailer to sit level.

It is just fashion, nothing more.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/13/13 2:42 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Lifted diesels, mall crawlers, flatbiller transport devices, coal rollers....whatever they are called are becoming an epidemic. I have decided that they are to the 2010's what "ricers" were to the late 90's-2000's.

Don't forget "Bro-dozers", that's what I call them at work.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
4/13/13 3:19 p.m.

Bro mobiles

Bro trucks

And bro fists

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/13/13 3:43 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Derick Freese wrote:
Actually, they would arrest you for Grand Theft Auto and then take turns telling the guy how awesome his truck is and show him pictures of their Harley parked in front of a bar. Get your stereotypes right, will ya?

In my area, the truck would be owned by a drug dealer, and they'd be happy to arrest them on that outstanding warrant when they came in to pick it up

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
4/13/13 3:49 p.m.

A girl I go to school with and used to work with gets real excited by those trucks. She loves them so I assume that the owners' quest for attention isn't completely in vain. And pretty much the majority of FSAE team at my school think they are the E36 M3, they also wore matching team camo shirts at the latest competition...Also they love taking 2 or 3 spots per car in the parking lot in front of the shop.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
4/13/13 3:50 p.m.

In the South, they would look more like this just about every weekend.

If there is one thing a true Redneck loves to do, it's get dirty.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/13/13 3:55 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: If there is one thing a true Redneck loves to do, it's get dirty.

The mud even hides the meth face!

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
4/13/13 3:59 p.m.

Rednecks do Budweiser, it's the city girls that do meth.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
4/13/13 4:06 p.m.

nevermind...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
05cSOZ7iHuj0UQkQg8O6lkzudDrw1XbohbB72ultGxX0LmHCVdYm0oVf7j2S4aZY