1 2 3 4
Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
5/29/09 10:30 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Type Q wrote: The interior is wearing a lot faster.
What the heck are you doing to it? My interior (tan leather) still looks like new after a bit of cleaning... and I'm not exactly a neat-freak...

We are not doing anything to besides using the car. Ours has the base (no leather) interior. We keep our cars pretty clean. It's just low grade materials. I suppose if we spent the $$$ for more bling it might be different.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB New Reader
5/29/09 11:32 a.m.

What about a 99+ cabrio w/fat 14's? Four wheel disc, drop top for the Florida sun..drop in a nuespeed supercharger.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/29/09 11:33 a.m.

Another vote for the Caddy. I dig 'em! Even tougher to find in good shape (for a reasonable price) than the Rabbits, unfortunately. Probably even further from the marketing demographic, too, since a hell of a lot more people like Rabbits than Caddys.

Bryce

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/29/09 11:45 a.m.
GTwannaB wrote: What about a 99+ cabrio w/fat 14's? Four wheel disc, drop top for the Florida sun..drop in a nuespeed supercharger.

like this?

RossD
RossD Reader
5/29/09 12:02 p.m.

What about the early '90s Jetta GLI?

Here's a pic of the '91 that I owned. It had the 2.0 16v with a close ratio 5 speed and Recaros seats, bbs rims. Oh those were interference engines, too. Ask me how I know.

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
5/29/09 12:20 p.m.

mk3 jetta 2.0l aba

Install 16v head with a low pressure turbo setup and megasquirt.

o2a swap with a peloquin diff.

Great amounts of affordable fun.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/29/09 12:51 p.m.

Yea, I like Mk2 16v Jetta, as well as the Mk3 LE, Sport or 8v GTi. If I had to choose today, that would be the list. maybe a 2.0 16v GTi if I could find one.

Per

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/29/09 12:53 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, I like Mk2 16v Jetta, as well as the Mk3 LE, Sport or 8v GTi. If I had to choose today, that would be the list. maybe a 2.0 16v GTi if I could find one. Per

my lil brother has a Mk2 16valve Jetta GTX he wants to get rid of...

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
5/29/09 12:59 p.m.
Type Q wrote: We are not doing anything to besides using the car. Ours has the base (no leather) interior. We keep our cars pretty clean. It's just low grade materials. I suppose if we spent the $$$ for more bling it might be different.

Yeah... I guess the leather option was one of the better choices I made when ordering that car... and that was one reason - durability... the ESP (traction control) option was the worst... apparently there's no way to permanently disable it...

Per Schroeder
5/29/09 1:08 p.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: my lil brother has a Mk2 16valve Jetta GTX he wants to get rid of...

GTX? tell me more?

Per Schroeder
5/29/09 1:19 p.m.

these project cars don't build themselves

alfadriver wrote: Enough of the being nice... Per has car ADD just as bad as Mr Brown has project ADD.... Have fun per- it will be fun to learn more about another car. Eric
John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/29/09 1:20 p.m.

I thought that is why they made Tommy/

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/29/09 1:21 p.m.

canadian model, same as a GLI, round headlights, tokico blues with h&r springs, try and get some pics up later. Hes scared girls wont like it, wants an e36 (highschool kid), but its a clean lookin car

Per Schroeder
5/29/09 1:24 p.m.

Where is it?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/29/09 1:25 p.m.

Remind him that chicks really dig SOHC Neons and Yugos

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/29/09 1:31 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Where is it?

at my house, in the garage, ready to go. think it had the belt done, needs shift bushings

Per Schroeder
5/29/09 1:36 p.m.

Ga? Please send pictures and approx. price to me. thanks!

per@grassrootsmotorsports.com

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/29/09 1:40 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Ga? Please send pictures and approx. price to me. thanks! per@grassrootsmotorsports.com

yup out of georgia, north of atlanta. Hes going to email some pics and a price to you in a bit.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/29/09 3:38 p.m.

great...and i was thinking about tossing out the idea of something truly out in left feild for a build....

80's b- body gm....big , loud and funny though....

ProgressTechnology
ProgressTechnology New Reader
5/29/09 3:47 p.m.

I still hate myself for selling my first car. 1986 VW Jetta GLI. Damn thing had 297,000 miles on the original motor and it was still running strong! I sold it for $500 and the only problem was a broken window. iFail.

Good luck with the project!

kreb
kreb Dork
5/29/09 5:21 p.m.

I know that this isn't the focus, but what about old school rear-engine air cooled? I'd love to see a Karmanghia, or how about a buggy or squareback? Better yet, throw a 1.8 turbo engine in one of those!

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
5/29/09 5:57 p.m.

In Huntsville we used to have a guy come out in one of the rare early 90's 2 door jettas, and wipe the floor with the rest of us. That car was amazingly quick.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
5/29/09 7:10 p.m.

What about a Scirocco , add forced induction ...

oh, looky... http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1166452325.html

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/1147973179.html

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/29/09 7:22 p.m.

the only Mk II I like are those rare 2 door jettas... especially with the rally golf headlights

Dorsai
Dorsai New Reader
5/29/09 7:26 p.m.

Here you go, Per. It's been restored and everything, even has a cool high performance muffler system already installed.

http://bham.craigslist.org/ctd/1195632093.html

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aV8I5IM6B6GeDfYfT5IrlWo19fOAwcncAToEzNu3XIOnCWoIlUJZT18gkH6a1lBU