1 2
ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
11/3/13 8:45 p.m.

What about the Dodge Intrepid V6/auto? You have a north/south fwd engine and paddle shifters.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/4/13 6:56 a.m.

anyone have any infor on getting the intrpid engine/trans into an older car, electrically speaking? what all moduels, computers, sensors the thing is looking for? id probably buy an entire car and transfer over the stuff that's needed. crush the rest. I think that megasquirt, for a computer illiterate like me, would be way too large an undertaking with everything else that would be going on. and if my googling is right, were looking at 200+hp from that thing already, so I see no immediate need to go with more. I think the intrepid swap, assuming its electrically feasible, would be the winner due to packaging, auto, availability, and the fact that im really a mopar guy. (despite the fact that I currently own only 2 mopars, one chevy, one Subaru, one mazda, and maybe a Porsche.

we will find out next week if the deal actually goes through.

Michael

RossD
RossD PowerDork
11/4/13 7:06 a.m.

RE: LH

There is a guy on here that swapped one into a van. Even had a build thread, IIRC.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
11/4/13 9:30 a.m.

Here was my 2011 Challenge car. Subaru EJ20TT and transmission.

914 Challenge Car

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
11/4/13 9:31 a.m.

Take a look at this

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7995

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
11/4/13 11:17 a.m.
jpnovak wrote: Here was my 2011 Challenge car. Subaru EJ20TT and transmission. 914 Challenge Car

Hmmm... Link is dead

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/4/13 11:51 a.m.
jpnovak wrote: Here was my 2011 Challenge car. Subaru EJ20TT and transmission. 914 Challenge Car

Link got messed up (combined with the GRM URL for some reason)

Try this: 914 build

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
11/5/13 10:00 a.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
11/15/13 4:47 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

That was my buddy Ken. Had a 2.3 turbo ford in it. I had the green 914 the year before with the V8 in it

jstand
jstand Reader
11/15/13 5:08 p.m.

Will an Olds 455 FWD from a Toronado fit?

Big and heavy, but would sound nice

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/15/13 7:20 p.m.
jstand wrote: Will an Olds 455 FWD from a Toronado fit? Big and heavy, but would sound nice

Been shoved in a VW, should fit a 914

kreb
kreb SuperDork
11/16/13 11:17 a.m.

On a related note, is there such thing as a reasonably priced 6 cylinder Porsche motor? I'm thinking that the first rear-engined water-cooled motors weren't so popular. Nor was the first Boxter motor. The reason that I ask is it'd be nice to stay with the Porsche theme on a 914 build, and would certainly help resale value. Also, PCA hosts some of the best events. Do they allow Porsches with American or Japanese motors in their events?

asoduk
asoduk New Reader
11/16/13 2:59 p.m.

There are no cheap Porsche engines, and even less with 6 cylinders. The M96 engines that came in Boxsters and 996s are still huge money and had issues with the IMS bearing and some actual block problems.

If you didn't mind staying manual, I would say just build up a 2.0l aircool VW engine. Parts are really easy to come by and the installation would require minimal or no changes from what is in there now.

On the weird/difficult side of the discussion: a Harley VRSC engine would get nods from the Porsche people, require minimal clutch use, and be pretty unique.

It should also be noted that even the factory 914-6s had quite a bit of extra reinforcement parts for the extra power, so factor that into your build too if you're going big.

The biggest issue in going to a water cooled engine is finding a sufficient way of cooling it, which is really just a matter of having a radiator and lines for it. There have been LOTS of V8 and Subaru swaps done over the years.

In the end, its just a question of how big of a money pit do you want the project to be?

Suggested reading: The Gold Plated Porsche by Stephan Wilkinson

jstand
jstand Reader
11/17/13 8:40 a.m.

I don't have any experience with them, but would a VW autostick be an option?

That would allow you to keep a stock style air cooled engine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CglEocMQMVCQVqUsSnvdfLwtgGd4FfvTvUq6peaWfSKmZpjhYdRW9RslK0jHX8mn