1 2 3 4 5
alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/28/11 2:26 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I hope they sell a bazillion, and the rest of the auto world sits up and takes notice - THIS IS THE KIND OF CAR THAT CAR PEOPLE WANT!

The real question is if there are enough car people out there for a new 4 cyl RWD coupe by two companies so that they can make any money.

currently, the market says they'll be somewhere between 10-20k total. For what sounds to be a pretty unique engine, that's going to be interesting to see the cost vs. sales, compared to profit and how long the car can be produced....

For sure, it will have to share a production line to sell anywhere near $30k.

Hope it does well, as I like that kind of car, too.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/28/11 2:30 p.m.

OH YEAH!!

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/28/11 2:33 p.m.

Did I read strut front and double wishbone rear? Weird!?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/28/11 2:38 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Did I read strut front and double wishbone rear? Weird!?

BMW has been doing something similar for decades.

No idea why more don't complain about the struts....

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/28/11 2:48 p.m.

Because both Subaru and Toyota fans consider them completely normal

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/28/11 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

And Porsche fans.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/28/11 4:52 p.m.

Struts are perfectly fine when designed properly, just ask any M3 driver if you can catch him.

Damn I want one!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/28/11 5:25 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to Keith: And Porsche fans.

And a whole bunch of others! I singled out Toyota and Subaru for obvious reasons. I'm trying to think of a Toyota or Subaru with double-wishbone front suspension other than my old Tundra.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
11/28/11 5:34 p.m.

besides Subies lean toward 16" and 17" tires, I prefer the full red tail lamps in the Subaru.

Maybe a few of the Toyota parts departments will stock 86 emblems to re-badge your car

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/28/11 5:49 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Official curb weight is 2601 lbs, according to the full press release. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

For a modern car, it's downright amazing. This is the first thing (other than the MINI) I'd consider buying new in years. Especially if I could get a Scion "strip-down" model with cloth seats & manual windows at that $22K figure. Toyoda-san says it's a car for the enthusiasts? Enthusiasts aren't fooled by badge engineering.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
11/28/11 5:53 p.m.

I am considering the FR-S to replace my Mazdaspeed3 (along with 2013 Mustang V-6 and 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T). One of my criteria is that I don't want to give up too much cargo space. I rather like this quote:

Dino Dalle Carbonare of Speedhunters said: During the presentation yesterday, they told us that engineers attended grassroots drift and grip track days across the country in an attempt to understand what true enthusiasts and purists want. This is why the car is a four seater, you can carry four people when using it as a daily driver, but when you need to hit the track you can fold the rear seats flat so that the trunk can swallow up four spare wheels/tires, a jack and a few other bits of equipment. This alone makes me stand up and take my hat off to the development team, the engineers, Akio Toyoda and Toyota as a whole.

The FR-S is staring to hit all of the buttons I want in a 3-season daily driver and occasional autocrosser. Like Keith said it sounds like a 240SX or RX-7 in execution, which makes me very happy seeing as I love and own/have owned those cars. I like my MS3's "newness" (sorry GRM), power, and utility but mileage isn't the greatest and I find myself pining for a RWD version of it.

That being said, I am, at most, cautiously optimistic. Even if the car is built by Subaru it IS still developed by Toyota after all, who haven't built an affordable sporty car since they axed the Celica and MR2. I'm also on the fence about Toyota selling it as a Scion. The starting MSRP should be low and fixed, but I'm concerned that Toyota will Scion-ify it with stupid crap like mood lighting or a 2000 jiggawatt stereo. Plus, I don't want to be lumped in with the typical ricer douchebags Scion attracts, since I am in the exact demographic Scion sells to (25 y.o.).

CarRamRod
CarRamRod New Reader
11/28/11 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

Mk3 Supras are the only ones that I know of.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/28/11 11:24 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Did I read strut front and double wishbone rear? Weird!?
BMW has been doing something similar for decades. No idea why more don't complain about the struts....

I didn't know that, I thought those were all struts.

The0retical
The0retical New Reader
11/28/11 11:57 p.m.

Shamelessly stolen in the GRM fashion

22" shorter than Mustang GT. Yea the rear seats aren't only for insurance purposes or anything.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
11/29/11 12:36 a.m.

This the exact car that I would buy new. I like cars that are small and minimalistic. I don't care for mega-horsepower numbers, and I don't care for modifyications. Give me something that's good in its own right, not something that takes a ton of fiddling to get "right." That is what makes me happy.

I have no desire to horse trade used cars; the hassle doesn't seem worth the time. I still drive my "first car" that I got six years ago. I want to buy a car when it's new and minty fresh and keep it until it's worth basically nothing. The 86 is calling to me.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/29/11 7:01 a.m.
The0retical wrote: Shamelessly stolen in the GRM fashion 22" shorter than Mustang GT. Yea the rear seats aren't only for insurance purposes or anything.

Nevermind the fact that at least a foot of that 22" is in the hood alone.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/29/11 7:39 a.m.

The 86 is something I can see myself buying fresh out of school if I can swing the payments.

rotard
rotard Reader
11/29/11 9:06 a.m.
Taiden wrote: The 86 is something I can see myself buying fresh out of school if I can swing the PAYMENTS.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
11/29/11 9:12 a.m.
rotard wrote:
Taiden wrote: PAYMENTS.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Agreed.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/29/11 9:14 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: ...I am, at most, cautiously optimistic. ...but I'm concerned that Toyota will Scion-ify it with stupid crap like mood lighting or a 2000 jiggawatt stereo....

As long as the one on the right goes fast, and driving it requires both feet, and my wallet isnt totally dry as I park it in my driveway, I dont care about the rest

RexSeven wrote: Plus, I don't want to be lumped in with the typical ricer douchebags Scion attracts, since I am in the exact demographic Scion sells to (25 y.o.).

This is my big complaint - WHO CARES?!?!? what it makes you look like to other people, or misconceived impressions are moot - hearing them in a factual discussion about measurable details are frustrating to say the least. Do we want our car to be cool? Sure - but how many boosted Volvo bricks or patina'd 60s wagons do we drool over every day? Im sure theres plenty of people out there (Im married to one) who shake their heads in disbelief when they see what we call cool.

For me its a simple equation: Performance divided by price multiplied by fun factor, all over mechanical quality = value...connotation and pretense mean nothing. If thats how you get no sunroof, a manual, crank windows and cloth seats, then who the hell cares what make it is? All that "Hey Bro, Im not a ricer" business is crap. Who cares if you catch a label? It doesnt define you unless you let it.

/rant..sorry for all that...

The0retical
The0retical New Reader
11/29/11 9:15 a.m.
rotard wrote:
Taiden wrote: The 86 is something I can see myself buying fresh out of school if I can swing the PAYMENTS.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Seriously.

I'm thinking I'll be waiting until (if) the aftermarket gets going for them rather than buying a launch car. That and I want a turbo the size of my face under that hood.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
11/29/11 9:20 a.m.

Production Subaru BRZ was just revealed. Subaru says 2,689lbs for their version. http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/28/subaru-debuts-production-brz-sport-coupe/

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/29/11 10:00 a.m.

Looks promising as long as the weight figure is accurate. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by this little car.

It will be interesting how they market it. Hopefully they don't pull a Fiat.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
11/29/11 10:16 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: It will be interesting how they market it. Hopefully they don't pull a Fiat.

Oooooooh sick burn...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/29/11 10:20 a.m.

Alright, now what's the lug-pattern... and the MSRP.

REALLY glad to see 17s as the wheel size.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ywzuvZLExzEUPGB3hGqLYDsUwToFgCo5VjedOe5VuMTSSkdPtPdVfhr9yeQXmna8