2 3 4 5 6
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/30/23 9:12 a.m.
Patrick said:

Whoever is going whiny with the downvotes is getting a bit over zealous, no?

I sold a car with cashapp and paid for a car with paypal friends and family. I also paid for a $20k+ car with a sandwich bag of cash. There are plenty of safe reliable ways to handle bigger transactions nowadays, and if someone has the ability to pay you with a method that shows up instantly in your account and can't be reversed, it's sellers who won't accept that who are cutting their prospective buyer pool down. 

you all need to calm the berkeley down, acting like a goon squad as someone expresses their frustration because you happen to also not trust modern payment methods

BUT YOUR OPINION IS DIFFERENT THAN MINE THEREFORE ITS WRONG AND MUST BE HIDDEN FROM THE WORLD

Mndsm said:
Patrick said:

Whoever is going whiny with the downvotes is getting a bit over zealous, no?

I sold a car with cashapp and paid for a car with paypal friends and family. I also paid for a $20k+ car with a sandwich bag of cash. There are plenty of safe reliable ways to handle bigger transactions nowadays, and if someone has the ability to pay you with a method that shows up instantly in your account and can't be reversed, it's sellers who won't accept that who are cutting their prospective buyer pool down. 

you all need to calm the berkeley down, acting like a goon squad as someone expresses their frustration because you happen to also not trust modern payment methods

BUT YOUR OPINION IS DIFFERENT THAN MINE THEREFORE ITS WRONG AND MUST BE HIDDEN FROM THE WORLD

90BuickCentury said:

Also, how the heck are the cops or anyone besides the seller gonna know you have 10K on you? We still have 4th Amendment protections that prohibit police from searching you or your vehicle without probable cause or a warrant and 2nd Amendment rights to prohibit non-police from searching you or your vehicle.

A recent personal experience showed me that your rights are abridged first, then processes play out.

"Oh it's not going to happen that way" takes but a moment or a phone call, and then good luck.

It may not happen with great frequency, which means it may not be you most of the time, but when it is, it's awful.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
11/30/23 9:32 a.m.
docwyte said:

Cash or money wire for me only whenever I've sold a car.  Cashiers checks/bank checks are too easily faked, I won't accept them. 

A cashier's check can be confirmed with a call to the issuing bank.  How can that be faked?  The money is no longer in the person's account and they can't cancel it.  It's even FDIC insured if the bank were to fail.  As I mentioned up-thread, it's actually quite a process to get the money back in your account if you lose one.  It can take 90 days.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
11/30/23 9:36 a.m.
mfennell said:
docwyte said:

Cash or money wire for me only whenever I've sold a car.  Cashiers checks/bank checks are too easily faked, I won't accept them. 

A cashier's check can be confirmed with a call to the issuing bank.  How can that be faked?  The money is no longer in the person's account and they can't cancel it.  It's even FDIC insured if the bank were to fail.  As I mentioned up-thread, it's actually quite a process to get the money back in your account if you lose one.  It can take 90 days.

A word document and a second cell phone/second person with a phone makes them just another piece of paper unless you're physically at the bank watching it get printed out, and at that point you might as well just use cash. 

There's also the backend of it. My mom gave me money in the form of a cashier's check. My bank, with their own policies, took 14 days to get me the full amount of money. That's...pathetic In this day and age. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/30/23 9:37 a.m.

In reply to mfennell :

having friends have their car stolen with one I'll pass. Then again I'm not selling anything worth much so its not an issue for most people.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I think it is that he got somewhat belligerent about it. Posted a rant, and got mad at anyone that had the gall to disagree with him. 

But that's just my take looking at it from after the fact. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/30/23 9:51 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Patrick :

I think it is that he got somewhat belligerent about it. Posted a rant, and got mad at anyone that had the gall to disagree with him. 

But that's just my take looking at it from after the fact. 

seems pretty much spot on to me. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
11/30/23 9:57 a.m.

cash is king, anything to slow down the digital currency. 10k or not 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/30/23 9:58 a.m.
mfennell said:
docwyte said:

A cashier's check can be confirmed with a call to the issuing bank.  How can that be faked? 

Good luck with that. The banks around here won't tell you ANYTHING over the phone, because privacy

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 10:19 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

This thread is an example of why the downvote system is dumb.

I haven't been around much (a lot because I'm not capable of avoiding this kind of nonsense) since it started, but I sorta think it works, since a person can open to look, if they care to. 
If I post something ugly, and it gets there, that's one more thing for me to consider if others think I crossed a line. I may still not agree with all of them, but it a thing to consider. 

But as I say, I haven't seen a lot of it, so donno. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/30/23 10:19 a.m.

May be a dumb suggestion- but ask your bank?  They should be able to come up with a good solution to transfer the money the safest way.  From a $1500 cash transaction to a multi $10k wire transfer.  If they are not willing to help, seems that their customer service is bad enough to shop for a better way to store your money.

Having run may events where I had a few thousand dollars in cash, challenge kind of money in cash isn't a big deal to me- over 100 people knew that we were carrying the cash proceeds from an autocross, and not once did we have an issue with it.  We deposited it, and then gave a personal check to our club treasurer, and done.

Doing the $28k was odd, but since I essentially live next to my bank, it was as if we were doing the transaction at the bank.

There are risks with every transaction, as far as I can tell.  The key is to find the balance that you and the other party are comfortable with.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/30/23 10:22 a.m.
03Panther said:
ProDarwin said:

This thread is an example of why the downvote system is dumb.

I haven't been around much (a lot because I'm not capable of avoiding this kind of nonsense) since it started, but I sorta think it works, since a person can open to look, if they care to. 
If I post something ugly, and it gets there, that's one more thing for me to consider if others think I crossed a line. I may still not agree with all of them, but it a thing to consider. 

But as I say, I haven't seen a lot of it, so donno. 

I think people treat a downvote as disagreement, when in fact it is a vote to censor.

I'm not against censorship on a private forum, but in this case the posts censored are very much on topic.  They are not a threat, political rant, batE36 M3 crazy conspiracy theory, or against any forum rules, its just simply an opinion that is in the minority.  OP is just expressing his frustration with payment methods, a pretty fair position to hold.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Good point. Good food for thought. Hard for me, since I'll never be able to afford his problem! 
His reaction after folks disagreed was worthy, (I think)  but you are correct, his original post definitely was not. 
If I'm not mistaken, (and this is also just discussing, not pointing) would it have been better received in the rant section?

Also props to the OP; he said "I'm out" and has stayed out. Most don't , afterwards.  
Thanks. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/30/23 10:50 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I think people treat a downvote as disagreement, when in fact it is a vote to censor.

I don't think you could be more wrong.

I rarely down vote something, but when I do it's because I think it's either incorrect, stupid, or just plain ridiculous.

And if you think that the way a post is hidden after so many down votes is censoring it, I think you've not thought this through.

What's the first thing somebody does when they see a post hidden? They click on it to see what it is, so it virtually guarantees that people see it. So I suggest it's rather the opposite of censorship

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

The choice to view is one of the things I like about it. 
I think the OPs rant, though I don't agree at all, should not have the downvote used, but that's a minor thing

over all I think I'm still leaning to the "good thing" side, since ya can view it. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/23 11:14 a.m.

Just checking in on the thread. Everyone playing nicely? 

Thanks. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
11/30/23 11:23 a.m.

I might have missed this in the churn. How old was the seller?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/30/23 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Don't think it was mentioned, unless I too, missed it. Only that seller had never sold a car before. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/30/23 11:29 a.m.
Trent said:

So what should we be doing other than cash? I have a dozen interested parties on the mini. I hope to sell it in the next week.

In person at a bank/credit union?

Bank transfer/ E transfer seems easy enough. Even on a Sunday evening.

Should I have gone for the Venmo/Cashapp option? 

Paypal goods and services will allow them to get the money back without any recourse from the seller so that is right out. Is Friends and family any safer?

Cash with an ultraviolet lamp or verification pen handy?

Escrow. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/30/23 12:49 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Escrow. 

Be really careful with that, a lot of "escrow companies" that have shown up associated with online sales are scams.  Unless it's a company that both the buyer and seller have used before and trust, it's worthless.

I dunno if the title/escrow companies that handle house sales would do a car purchase or not, but I suspect the transactions costs of it would be unacceptably expensive to most people selling $10K cars.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
11/30/23 12:52 p.m.
RevRico said:
mfennell said:

A word document and a second cell phone/second person with a phone makes them just another piece of paper unless you're physically at the bank watching it get printed out, and at that point you might as well just use cash. 

Anyone who falls for that deserves to be fleeced.  You look up the bank yourself and call that number.   To Peabody's point, confirming a valid check is not a privacy issue.  They don't even have information about the buyer on them.  "I'm looking at check xxx from your bank with me as payee.  Is it valid?"

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/30/23 12:52 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Escrow. 

Be really careful with that, a lot of "escrow companies" that have shown up associated with online sales are scams.  Unless it's a company that both the buyer and seller have used before and trust, it's worthless.

I dunno if the title/escrow companies that handle house sales would do a car purchase or not, but I suspect the transactions costs of it would be unacceptably expensive to most people selling $10K cars.

I've used Escrow a couple of times. One time with my bank, one time with the bank of the seller. 

So essentially a wire transfer but with some extra protections. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/30/23 12:56 p.m.
mfennell said:
RevRico said:
mfennell said:

Anyone who falls for that deserves to be fleeced.  You look up the bank yourself and call that number.  

See: 

Peabody said:

mfennell said:
docwyte said:

A cashier's check can be confirmed with a call to the issuing bank.  How can that be faked? 

Good luck with that. The banks around here won't tell you ANYTHING over the phone, because privacy

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
11/30/23 12:58 p.m.
ГУЛАГ мальчик УР следующий said:
90BuickCentury said:

Also, how the heck are the cops or anyone besides the seller gonna know you have 10K on you? We still have 4th Amendment protections that prohibit police from searching you or your vehicle without probable cause or a warrant and 2nd Amendment rights to prohibit non-police from searching you or your vehicle.

A recent personal experience showed me that your rights are abridged first, then processes play out.

"Oh it's not going to happen that way" takes but a moment or a phone call, and then good luck.

It may not happen with great frequency, which means it may not be you most of the time, but when it is, it's awful.

It sure is. It's less cash than is being discussed here, but it happened to my pops about 15 years back when he sold his 4th Gen Camaro, in one of the safest and most affluent suburbs in Wisconsin. The lines were a little blurry between "CAF" and "dirty young cops" but my father was detained while walking home from the sale (it was to a family friend no more than a mile away), threatened, relieved of four grand in cash, and released. It scared the bejesus out of the entire family and certainly eroded trust in local law enforcement, to say the least.

At least for me, that was probably the moment where I became hesitant to carry around big piles of cash. I'm a little more conscious of my rights and present myself more professionally than my dad, but I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that I'm good to go if I got stopped by the lawman with 10 large in my jacket pocket.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NTw29AJVcLVl6CXelzQvMPJkonsK3eFu9NnTvfRRz5reqNKKBm5Mh0yBdOhwBPAo