1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/1/13 1:08 p.m.

I want to put a VVT engine in my NA6.

I ran across a post the other day saying the JDM VVT engines are 10.5:1 vs 10:1 and of course already come with the square top manifold.

Any good sources? Idea what I should have to pay?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/1/13 1:41 p.m.

www.nagasakijdmmotors.com

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 2:39 p.m.

http://www.zerolift.com/

nvm, they don't have any miata engines.......wouldn't hurt to ask them though

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/1/13 3:48 p.m.

Checked a bunch of different places I've found on google and the two sites mentioned.

Would be GREAT if I wanted a 13B, ugh.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/2/13 4:27 p.m.

BUMP for weekend crew.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/2/13 4:29 p.m.

Nagasaki is where i would go.

NAD in Georgia is pretty good as well, too.... but i'm not sure if they're still around.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/2/13 4:42 p.m.

I am also looking for a JDM motor and those both look like promising sites. I just wish they would list the prices so you don't have to call.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/2/13 6:07 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: www.nagasakijdmmotors.com

holy E36 M3 they have JDM Manuel transmission!

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/2/13 8:34 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Nagasaki is where i would go. NAD in Georgia is pretty good as well, too.... but i'm not sure if they're still around.

Of around 12 places I've looked so far, I've found one 1.8 Miata engine and it was a '99. I really want the VVT engine, and I want JDM for the increased compression over the US version and the squaretop manifold.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/2/13 9:37 p.m.

FYI, our dyno testing didn't back up the enthusiasm for the square top manifold. It made more peak power above 6500 or so, but lost below that. I know this doesn't match up with what some others have reported though, I only know what we actually tested.

peter
peter HalfDork
2/2/13 10:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: FYI, our dyno testing didn't back up the enthusiasm for the square top manifold. It made more peak power above 6500 or so, but lost below that. I know this doesn't match up with what some others have reported though, I only know what we actually tested.

Keith - the FM intake manifold tests I saw were for either turbo or a high-compression stroker. Did I miss a stock-engine test?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/2/13 10:29 p.m.

No, you're right about the engines that were used. We were seeing no reason to continue to spend money on testing, so we stopped after two series. The owner of the flat-top needed it back as well.

Our testing has also shown the "hollow VICS" setup to be ineffective as well. Amazingly ineffective, actually. It was almost impossible to discern a difference.

crankwalk
crankwalk New Reader
2/3/13 11:20 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Nagasaki is where i would go. NAD in Georgia is pretty good as well, too.... but i'm not sure if they're still around.

nadauto in Norcross GA has been great for me in the past. I got my STi front clip there last summer. I could hear it run before I bought it.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
2/3/13 12:29 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Nagasaki is where i would go.

Sites that list everything as "CALL FOR PRICE" and invent their own engine codes rub me the wrong way. Smells scammy.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/3/13 12:56 p.m.

I did NOT need to see those websites!!

LOVE that steering wheel!

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
2/3/13 2:11 p.m.

'04 Corolla steering wheel?

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
2/3/13 3:15 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I did NOT need to see those websites!! LOVE that steering wheel!

earlyish GC8 WRX STI wheel?

crankwalk
crankwalk New Reader
2/3/13 5:30 p.m.

^It's a Nardi.

My clip came with a Personal that I sold for good money.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/3/13 5:59 p.m.
NAD in Georgia is pretty good as well, too.... but i'm not sure if they're still around.

+1. I've had really good luck with NAD.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/4/13 12:14 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: I did NOT need to see those websites!! LOVE that steering wheel!

Check out an NB Miata, it's awfully similar. And easy to find.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/4/13 6:49 a.m.

Oh. Didn't know this was a hotlink thread.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/4/13 9:24 a.m.

Every thread is a hotlink thread!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/4/13 9:28 a.m.

And that guy above Jed is looking for a new matching chassis. Hint hint nudge nudge. (S13)

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/14/13 8:15 a.m.

Bumping this for anymore ideas.

My 1.6 needs the crank fix and I've discovered our attempt to fix the leaking oil pan didn't work. And I've gathered to change to the gasket I've either got to pull the engine, or drop the subframe.

Neither of which I'm keen to do on an engine that needs a fix that may or may not work.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/14/13 8:38 a.m.

A non-JDM engine would work as well. I don't mind paying shipping.

I just don't know of a Mazda equivalent for Vines Automotive (they deal with BMWs) who I've had great experience with.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hncqx7QLkpgIMiWSbfY0AvCTB1HHgytAPDcwUEKq9JLQ1nw2BHmjc7j7zmnbArt9