1 2
ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/14/13 8:54 a.m.

Sort of idle thought but do any places sell motors for those Kei class trucks? Seems like a neat Locost sort of engine. Might go nicely in my little Vauxhall too.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/14/13 11:26 a.m.

Z31, my friend and instructor Sean did his own 1.8 swap with a NB1 motor and with a DIY MS tune, JDM MSM cam and exhaust makes 140 at the wheels.

Is it worth the extra trouble for the VVT?

He also said he did it for about 800 bucks?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
5/14/13 11:43 a.m.

Local to the SF Bay Area: http://attarco.com/

craigslist is a good source too.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/14/13 11:54 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: Z31, my friend and instructor Sean did his own 1.8 swap with a NB1 motor and with a DIY MS tune, JDM MSM cam and exhaust makes 140 at the wheels. Is it worth the extra trouble for the VVT? He also said he did it for about 800 bucks?

VVT isn't any more trouble if you're swapping engines and ECU's. Run cam and crank sensors to factory CAS wiring, run two wires for VVT.

The problem is finding a local engine that doesn't have an astronomical price attached. The cheapest engine I've found they want $1500 for a '99 with 150k miles. That's insane. I paid less than that for an S52 out of a '99 M3!

I'd take a 99-00 or 01-05, doesn't matter. Condition/price is more important.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
5/14/13 12:59 p.m.

some carefully spent $ on machine work, and porting might be as, or more effective.....

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/14/13 1:16 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: some carefully spent $ on machine work, and porting might be as, or more effective.....

Then what?

Do the same thing to the VVT head and you still gain the ability to advance the cam and increase the midrange torque. The only real reason to not use VVT is if you want monster cams and want to rev the engine to 8500rpm all the time.

Not my goal.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/14/13 1:38 p.m.

On a somewhat related subject, this is quite possibly one of the only good threads on ClubRoadster.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/59-irtb-individual-runner-throttle-bodies/81194-my-172whp-n-engine-stock-bottom-end-no-porting.html

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/14/13 1:44 p.m.

then running what may be a poorly maintained "JDM" imported engine.

Meticulous machining, and careful porting is not exclusive of the 8000+ club, it helps throughout the entire rpm band, and can improve the performance of a VVT engine just as easily as a non VVT engine

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/14/13 3:31 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: then running what may be a poorly maintained "JDM" imported engine. Meticulous machining, and careful porting is not exclusive of the 8000+ club, it helps throughout the entire rpm band, and can improve the performance of a VVT engine just as easily as a non VVT engine

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to get at.

If I wanted to rebuild an engine, I'd try to find one that popped a headgasket, or something. In fact, if I want, I know where I can buy a '99 that smoked a rod bearing. But doing a rebuild will be dramatically more expensive than finding a good condition used engine and swapping it in.

Also, on the last page, I said I would take a USDM engine, if anyone had a suggestion for a good source.

Prices seem to be all over the map and I have no idea who is, and isn't to be trusted, in the Asian salvage market, whereas I knew who to deal with in the European salvage market.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
5/17/13 1:30 p.m.

"I'd take a 99-00 or 01-05, doesn't matter. Condition/price is more important."

Isn't there a HP difference between these years?

Also I found a 2002 with 40k for 1250.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/17/13 1:35 p.m.

A slight difference, not big enough to worry about if you're doing I/H/E and a standalone ECU.

You can also pop an MSM cam in the 99-00 engine for not much and add another 7-10whp (assuming you have the I/H/E + good tune)

The main advantage of the VVT is a bigger area under the peak since you can play with the advance on the cam in the midrange.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
5/17/13 3:00 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Also, on the last page, I said I would take a USDM engine, if anyone had a suggestion for a good source. Prices seem to be all over the map and I have no idea who is, and isn't to be trusted, in the Asian salvage market, whereas I knew who to deal with in the European salvage market.

When I shopping for used Miata engine last year. This place, http://www.lkqcorp.com, was recommended to me by the shop who does most of the work on my cars. They had getting good service from the Sacramento CA branch.

I didn't use them ultimately, I went with a "deal" off Craigslist. I probably would been time/money ahead to buy from them. My Craigslist engine had oil leaks out the wazoo the were a pain to seal up.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/17/13 3:11 p.m.

I'm hoping to be able to buy a wrecked runner '99 off one my co-workers cousins.

I'll have to see how low I can get her on price.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
5/17/13 3:38 p.m.

Wow thanks. For some reason I thought the VVT had much HP and Torque. A 99-00 will save time and money.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/1/16 6:02 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Nagasaki is where i would go. NAD in Georgia is pretty good as well, too.... but i'm not sure if they're still around.

Old bump but is that site just not updated in the past ten years or are their prices really that low? 13BT for $750 with trans? 13B-REW for $1800 with trans? 20B for $3500??? BPT with trans for $950???

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/4/16 6:35 a.m.

Deleted a couple of canoes. They were pimping this company, which looks pretty sketchy. Caveat emptor.

https://www.bbb.org/houston/business-reviews/engines-supplies-equipment-and-parts/engine-world-usa-in-houston-tx-22010196/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/engine-world-usa-houston

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/4/16 7:10 a.m.

But they were two different new accounts posting within a couple minutes of each other! How could it be a canoe?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/4/16 9:19 a.m.

So, outside of the canoe (man, that Yelp is horrifying), what is (today) a good source for JDM (y0) motors?

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/4/16 10:26 a.m.

I've had some good luck getting engine parts (not whole engines, though) by bidding on Yahoo! Auctions Japan through BidJDM.com, which is a proxy bidding service. They offer shipping on engines, transmissions, and the like, and they have a tool that helps estimate fees and shipping. Yahoo! Auctions is basically Japan's version of eBay so you should take the same cautions when browsing and bidding. I haven't had any problems with the company or the folks I've bought from.

There are other YAJ proxy bidding companies too, but the only other one I know of that might ship engines is Nengun. I've never used them but I've hear good stuff about them.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/4/16 10:32 a.m.

I've never used them, but I think that Japanese Classics (the company that imports awesome cars) also has a parts service. Their car import business seems to have a pretty good rep.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/4/16 10:41 a.m.

How about JDM New York? Anyone hear anything about them?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/4/16 2:24 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: www.nagasakijdmmotors.com
holy E36 M3 they have JDM Manuel transmission!

They have a 20B for only $3500 with the trans. .. . . . Oh man I can think think of a bunch of things i would like to stuff that in to.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
3/4/16 5:17 p.m.

Foreign engines in Washington. They've been importing jdm motors for twenty years. They even do free shipping to businesses in the Pacific Northwest (too bad you don't live here!) they are bunch of cranky old timers, but know their job well and prices are fair. I've bought three engines from them: 2 d16zc, and 1 20v 4age. Beautiful engines, no problems. http://foreignengines.com You're welcome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xlz87o5wcaKxhA9SfuL51z2qjarvraKWOGmjzgsRW8nspZ88WDPIw6ziYvU1jm4t