1 2
Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/15/16 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Stan:

Are you just hypothesizing, or have you actually found one that's for sale?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
12/15/16 10:05 p.m.
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
12/16/16 12:34 a.m.

I almost bought one once, but there was a Spitfire on the same used car lot and I had to have it. I remember great seats and an awesome exhaust note.

stan
stan UltraDork
12/16/16 7:25 a.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: Could be this one: http://m.ebay.com/itm/291972378083?_mwBanner=1

That's the one. A couple/three hours away.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
12/16/16 7:32 a.m.

Have you ever said "I really like the styling of an amc pacer, but I wish it were less reliable and more French."

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/16 7:40 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: While the 17 was a pretty wild looking car back in the day, it does look pretty tame compared to today's plethora of over styled cars.

And that is why I don't like most modern cars.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/16 7:42 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: Have you ever said "I really like the styling of an amc pacer, but I wish it were less reliable and more French."

You do know where you are posting right?

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
12/16/16 8:12 a.m.
stan wrote:
pointofdeparture wrote: Could be this one: http://m.ebay.com/itm/291972378083?_mwBanner=1

You're nuts. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Restoring a rust-eaten French car that isn't something really special like a Traction Avant is the automotive equivalent of dating a really sketchy barfly because you're pretty sure that the Penicillin did its job.

APEowner
APEowner New Reader
12/16/16 9:37 a.m.

In my experience French cars, Renaults in particular, make British automobiles seem Miata like.

stan
stan UltraDork
12/16/16 1:07 p.m.
Kreb wrote:
stan wrote:
You're nuts. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Restoring a rust-eaten French car that isn't something really special like a Traction Avant is the automotive equivalent of dating a really sketchy barfly because you're pretty sure that the Penicillin did its job.

I am nuts.

...but not that nuts...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/16/16 1:12 p.m.

Never seen one of these before, or heard of it. Looks like the bastard love child of a Jensen Interceptor, Sirocco, and a Gremlin. I like it.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/16/16 2:13 p.m.

I have heard of the 17 before, never knew it made it to our shores.

Honestly, seeing the condition of that one, you are better off buying one in France and shipping it over. It would be cheaper and cause less gnashing of teeth and wails of anguish in the night

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
12/16/16 6:35 p.m.

Holy crap. I know that car. Or more accurately, I worked for several years with the owner of that car, and he told me some about the car. He's a good guy and a gearhead, into cars and bikes.

I started off thinking what are the odds, but based on the rarity, I'd say since I know an owner of a Gordini 17 in the US, the odds are probably like 1 in 2.

Pretty sure he bought it new and daily drove it for a while, and it had already been off the road for a few years when we worked together back in late 90's. He kept it in his garage or under a cover in his driveway depending on the season.

He's one of the salesmen at the listing dealership, which is a part time gig for him, or at least it was when we worked together.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
12/16/16 8:57 p.m.

That looks like a terrible idea. You should buy it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gcyp8cn4FonGGDksb0muUv9L02aGJXorCuF1l95E0dlRTFRrnpDBogBnHaFJwkqK