bosco
bosco New Reader
7/15/11 1:19 p.m.

We started the conversion of our Monte CarloGTA type chassis into a 2011 Camaro utilizing the HOWE racing Camaro body. Car is about 2500 # minus driver.

Powered by a carb LS1 making about 480 fwhp. Jerico 4 speed and quick change rear end. Car holds the current SCCA SPO record at Daytona. (At least for a couple more weeks till Henry Gilbert brings out his Daytona Prototype to run SPO)

Hope to debut at Daytona SCCA/V8StockCar races Aug 6 & 7

bosco
bosco New Reader
7/15/11 1:25 p.m.

Will look somethin' like this except in flat black and orange.

Below is the old look

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
7/15/11 2:53 p.m.

Cool! I assume your fuel filler isn't going to stay pinched like that? ;-)

Good luck, be sure to share photos once it's done!!

failboat
failboat Reader
7/15/11 2:56 p.m.

is this what we can hope nascar starts to look like?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
7/15/11 2:58 p.m.

Very cool.

What's the advantage of the new body over the old one? Better aero, better marketability to sponsors?

bosco
bosco New Reader
7/15/11 3:06 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Very cool. What's the advantage of the new body over the old one? Better aero, better marketability to sponsors?

Nothin' but the cool. The old M/C body looks like a brick, but it is a very slippery brick.

Really it was just time to update and we just like the look of the Camaro.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
7/15/11 3:44 p.m.

This . . . I approve!!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
7/16/11 3:14 p.m.

I went and looked at a GT1( maybe GT2) 240z once that came with a 350Z nISMO body. Every after I have loved the idea of body swaps like this.

It is going too lOok bitchin'!

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/16/11 3:53 p.m.
failboat wrote: is this what we can hope nascar starts to look like?

If Nascar went to camaro/mustang/firebird/challenger bodies (that weren't identical profiles) and added a few more road courses I might actually watch it.

bosco
bosco New Reader
7/16/11 5:23 p.m.
fastEddie wrote:
failboat wrote: is this what we can hope nascar starts to look like?
If Nascar went to camaro/mustang/firebird/challenger bodies (that weren't identical profiles) and added a few more road courses I might actually watch it.

me too!

mtownneon
mtownneon New Reader
7/16/11 7:02 p.m.

They do! It's called the Rolex Grand Am Series and the Continental Tires Sports Car Challenge Series

racerfink
racerfink HalfDork
7/17/11 1:48 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Cool! I assume your fuel filler isn't going to stay pinched like that? ;-) Good luck, be sure to share photos once it's done!!

The fuel filler hose is normally located on the left rear qtr. panel. That one is folded over just to keep it out of the way while hanging the body work, I would imagine.

bosco
bosco New Reader
7/17/11 7:53 a.m.
racerfink wrote:
dculberson wrote: Cool! I assume your fuel filler isn't going to stay pinched like that? ;-) Good luck, be sure to share photos once it's done!!
The fuel filler hose is normally located on the left rear qtr. panel. That one is folded over just to keep it out of the way while hanging the body work, I would imagine.

exactly, will probably remove the dry break on their and use regular cap. The car won't be an endurance racer.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/17/11 9:23 a.m.

I got to play around with one of these last night. I'm going to be driving Butch's car at the November trials @ Roebling. Dropped by Road Atlanta last night just to try it on. Fit like a glove. Fired it up while I was in there and had an involuntary giggle reaction.

bosco
bosco New Reader
7/17/11 3:15 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I got to play around with one of these last night. I'm going to be driving Butch's car at the November trials @ Roebling. Dropped by Road Atlanta last night just to try it on. Fit like a glove. Fired it up while I was in there and had an involuntary giggle reaction.

You must be a pretty big fella if that seat fit like a glove!

For those that don't know Butch, he is only about 6'8" and 275.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/17/11 3:33 p.m.

I ain't small.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lEWjS1UfegBrBF7JnfQ8yQWFXjGKi1UdTA4tOUyriZjfQmnJYY1qTfRAtjf6Fcwy