1 2
clshore
clshore Reader
3/18/20 9:40 a.m.

After researching the Kmiata approach, I've acquired a BMW 323i Getrag 5 speed box, I think a flat adaptor plate can be done.

The BMW box is both smaller and lighter than the Spitfire box.

The L15 is attractive due to the space & weight constraints in Little British Cars, a K motor is difficult to shoehorn in.

There is a quite talented fellow 'down under' that I've corresponded with on this subject.

He is doing an L15A7 (I think) into a Spitfire, using a Suzuki Sierra (like a Trakker I think) gearbox, with a plate.

So it's possible !!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/18/20 10:42 a.m.

If the L15 has an adaptor for a Hewland gearbox check on a Ford type 9 gearbox, they maybe the exact same bolt pattern.

clshore
clshore Reader
3/18/20 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Great idea Tom, never occurred to me.

I have a couple of 'spare' type 9 from USDM Merkur, wonder if they have the same bellhousing as European Type 9.

Of course, the Honda L15 to Hewland adaptors are not likely available 'off the shelf', but perhaps I could borrow one to

reverse engineer it. Gotta love the capabilities of CMM Laser Scanners.

That said, there are actually two L15 blocks, earlier ones for the SOHC motors, and later ones for the DOHC motors.

Starters are on opposite sides, no idea if the bellhousing bolt patterns are the same.or compatible.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/18/20 11:48 a.m.

In reply to clshore :

I think the Formula Fords used a Kent engine, which has a different bellhousing from the 2.3 used in XR4Tis.

Actually, come to think of it, the 2.3 Lima block has two bellhousing patterns on it for some reason all the way up to the end of the 2.5s, the tall one that everything in the US used, and the smaller one that European "Pinto" engines used.  I don't know if the Type 9 in the Merkur used the "American" bolt pattern or if it used the smaller bell housing like the CVH and Pinto commoner Sierras and Pinto-based Cosworth engines did.

So depending on if they make special XR4Ti bells or not, that's a yes or a no.  I wouldn't put it past Ford to make special bellhousings even if the engines did have the other pattern already on it, because the XR4Ti was just that weird...

clshore
clshore Reader
3/18/20 12:59 p.m.

Added to that, the T-9 used in USDM Merkur were different, longer input shaft, and a beefed up layshaft bearing with seperate cover.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/18/20 1:54 p.m.

Somewhere in the recessed of my mind I remember that one particular Hewland box (LG200?) accepts a type 9 bellhousing.  So that's where I got the idea that the L15 adapter may bolt to a type 9 gearbox.

clshore
clshore Reader
4/7/20 4:25 p.m.

The Spitfire engine bay, like everything else on the car, is no larger than it has to be, everything fits together like a jigsaw.

You can stuff bigger motors in, but it requires surgery; to the chassis, to the hood, to the tub, to the suspension, etc.

The L15 was designed from the start to be lighter and more compact than the D16 series, making it an attractive swap candidate.

You could even fit an L15B2 into a GT6, get double the stock HP, and yet achieve 50/50 weight distribution and handling.

After researching the KMiata site, I acquired a BMW Getrag 323i 5 speed.

It's light, compact, and could possibly be mated to an L15 using an adaptor plate.

T.J. (Forum Supporter)
T.J. (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 5:30 p.m.

I've seen a classic Mini with a K20, but it was where the backseat was supposed to be and powered the rear wheels, but that doesn't really answer the question. B and D series Honda engines can be made to fit where BMC A series were made to be in a Mini, so maybe the same would apply to Spridgets. Not sure of the size difference between D, B and K engines though.

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
4/8/20 8:02 a.m.

As far as I know the XR4Ti 2.3 Lima bellhousing pattern is the same as the Pinto and X-flow bar the two top bolts.

So if there is an adapter to the X-flow pattern, it should work on a XR4Ti type 9 if you don't use the top bolts. I would be confident using just the 4 that do match.

Gustaf

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/20 8:59 a.m.

IF I worked at Ford UK, I would figure out some way to make the new 1.5L from the Fiesta ST into RWD. 197 hp, 214 lb-ft available from 1600 to 4000 rpm. If you could keep the 6-speed, man would that thing be ideal for 7 replicas, formula cars, Miata swaps...

clshore
clshore Reader
4/10/20 3:55 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Another potential RWD candidate is the Toyota 1NZ-FE/FXE 1.5L Engine. Used in a vast array of Toyota cars since 1997. Echo, Yaris, Prius, Scion, etc.

Forged internals, VVT, etc. Plentiful in salvage yards. Turbo- and super- charged versions deliver up to 150 HP. More pedestrian versions yield 110 HP. Go-fast parts available from Pacific Rim.

Big question is whether any Toyota RWD transmissions will bolt up, T-50 would be perfect.

Anyone know about these motors and transmissions?

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/10/20 6:13 p.m.

I can't find evidence of the NZ being used in a longitudinal mount and it doesn't share bellhousing pattern with anything that is.

clshore
clshore Reader
4/17/20 5:29 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Yah, I've looked too without success.

Shiver
Shiver New Reader
7/6/24 12:28 p.m.

I've been considering the gm/ford focus 1.0 or 1.5 the compost turbo engine along with Honda's 1.5 turbo.  They all have the same issue of finding a rwd transmission to bolt on to.  It's driving me crazy.  I have a 1973 Opel gt that would really benefit from any super light engine that can make over 170hp and 170 ft/lbs torque.  Weight and distribution of it is the key to making the car a true sporty go kart feel

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/6/24 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Shiver :

This company makes adaptor plates for all sorts of engines to mate to the RX-8 transmission.  The RX-8 uses practically the same bolt up as all Mazda rotaries from 1974 on.

It's not a complete kit, it's not even the biggest hurdle, but it's one hurdle down.

One of the hurdles is that most transverse engines' intake manifolds stick the throttle body out over the transmission, which would place it in the firewall in most rear drive cars.

Oddly this probably isn't a bad thing for some LBCs that had the battery on the scuttle, if I have my terminology correct.

Shiver
Shiver New Reader
7/17/24 7:48 a.m.

I would think the throttle bodies sticking out on the right side on th engine when mounting longitudinally for rear wheel drive transmission conversion would be fine. Is that what LBC stands for?

Th ford 1.5 dragon has more power then the Honda and the Nissan rogue beats everyone at 231 HP and 215ft/lbs of torque.

Funny thing is, most car manufacturers are using the same engines then tweaking them after.  That's why they all have the same failure spots.

I've gotten interested in the kie cars, specifically the Suzuki cappuccino can be built up for higher powet with the 660 turbo making 150-200 up but torque is still low, even if using the 1.0, or 1.2 turbo.  They can be bolted to the red transmission.

I'm curious if the transmission can be adapted easilier to be used with one of th new EcoBoost motors

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wWHqOm9arcHbqSDi7P18XawHVmxU8NNVDFqbMwWr3MVJzKEaWhHDBtCsKkUNfMSS