1 2 3 4
unevolved
unevolved Dork
8/19/13 8:19 a.m.

Ok, now make a 4-door (call it, I don't know, maybe the "Falcon?") and you'll have forced me into the new car market.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/19/13 9:27 a.m.
noddaz wrote: Looks a little chunky to me...

You've heard of 'murdered out', this is 'ninja-ed out'!

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/19/13 9:31 a.m.
RossD wrote:
noddaz wrote: Looks a little chunky to me...
You've heard of 'murdered out', this is 'ninja-ed out'!

Once again, I sure hope they don't get paid for pictures like that. It show exactly nothing except that it's a prototype, and with 2 doors, you can narrow it down to a Mustang or Camaro.

I remember the shocking video that had it moving. Think of that, a prototype with an engine that moves the car. Amazing.

(and no, I don't know any details of the Mustang. None)

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
8/20/13 12:02 a.m.

I'll have to see it to believe it; we were told the Vette would be lighter too. I'm happy that the crappy stick axle will be gone though, and by the sounds of it they're stepping up their game and appealing to a larger and possibly younger audience. There better not be an Aston Martin clone grill on it like the rest of their lineup!

-Hamid

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
8/20/13 5:47 a.m.
AverageH wrote: There better not be an Aston Martin clone grill on it like the rest of their lineup! -Hamid

Well if it's like this it wouldn't be too bad.

photo 76V8011_zpse80a43f4.jpg

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
8/20/13 7:53 a.m.

Aston Martin clone with 450 hp for under 40k? Yeah, I wouldn't kick that out of bed. And I'm not sure that you could make a new Mustang appeal to a broader audience than it currently does unless you gave them away for free. They're everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the 'crappy stick axle' hasn't been holding the recent ones back very much either.

Having said all that, a smaller, lighter, 450hp mustang would be of interest to me. I might consider trading in my 05 for a 150hp bump and a 200lb loss in weight, especially if they can improve the base-line handling. But I'll believe it when they hit the lots in that configuration.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
8/20/13 9:06 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
AverageH wrote: There better not be an Aston Martin clone grill on it like the rest of their lineup! -Hamid
Well if it's like this it wouldn't be too bad.  photo 76V8011_zpse80a43f4.jpg

Haven't they been down that road before?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/20/13 9:41 a.m.

uh, no.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/20/13 10:38 a.m.
nocones wrote:
petegossett wrote:
Well if it's like this it wouldn't be too bad.  photo 76V8011_zpse80a43f4.jpg
Haven't they been down that road before?

FWIW, I always considered that Vantage V8 to be styled a bit like the mustang, not the other way around

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/20/13 10:57 a.m.

6.5" narrower?,so who's doing the market research-rednecks tend to be wider than most so...

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
8/20/13 12:51 p.m.
AverageH wrote: There better not be an Aston Martin clone grill on it like the rest of their lineup!

notsureifserious.jpg

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/20/13 12:58 p.m.

I would post the link to the updated spy shots, but it came from Jalopnik, and I know the vitriol toward that site.

ransom
ransom UberDork
8/20/13 12:59 p.m.

While I think the Aston Martin clone-nose thing actually looks pretty good, I can't get past the transparent attempt to co-opt cachet the cars don't deserve. It always reminds me of this, regardless of how much better-looking they are:

I honestly don't know what to hope for with the Mustang. Both another take on the retro thing, or a clean sheet of paper could both be done well or poorly.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
8/20/13 1:18 p.m.

Ugh.

So Aston Martin makes a car that looks like the Mustang, both companies keep maintaining the general look for nostalgia/historical reasons, and now people get the order of who copied who confused?

This is like the FD wankers who think the C5 was intended to look like an RX-7, forgetting what the original RX-7 was designed to look like.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/20/13 2:15 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I'm pretty sure the 'crappy stick axle' hasn't been holding the recent ones back very much either.

friend of mine has a 10 or an 11 (I forget which) and he says that the stick axle on his new Mustang is a lot more of a handful than the ones on his previous. He is a serial Musang buyer, so I tend to believe him

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/20/13 2:24 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: I'm pretty sure the 'crappy stick axle' hasn't been holding the recent ones back very much either.
friend of mine has a 10 or an 11 (I forget which) and he says that the stick axle on his new Mustang is a lot more of a handful than the ones on his previous. He is a serial Musang buyer, so I tend to believe him

I dare anyone who speaks things like this to isolate the rear axle articulation method above all other variables. It's almost as if people forget there are things like tire compounds, spring rates, damper valving, anti squat amongst hundreds of others, and people always just say [whatever undesirable behavior] is because of the stick axle. right.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/20/13 2:35 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
I dare anyone who speaks things like this to isolate the rear axle articulation method above all other variables. It's almost as if people forget there are things like tire compounds, spring rates, damper valving, anti squat amongst hundreds of others, and people always just say [whatever undesirable behavior] is because of the stick axle. right.

+1. Herb Adams talks about when Trans Am was running both IRS or stick axle there was no real difference in lap times between the two.

Although the extra unsprung weight doesn't help on surfaces that aren't smooth.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
8/20/13 2:41 p.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/20/13 2:43 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:

Cool, so his experience goes against 99.9% of what everyone else is saying.

Lulz at the quadra-bind being better than the new gen 3 link.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
8/20/13 2:52 p.m.
Knurled wrote: So Aston Martin makes a car that looks like the Mustang, both companies keep maintaining the general look for nostalgia/historical reasons, and now people get the order of who copied who confused?

Maybe you would care to enlighten the uninformed masses rather than beating around the bush with vague implications.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/20/13 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Driven5:

Its already been covered previously in this thread.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
8/20/13 3:13 p.m.

I've also heard about a possible 'SVO' type Mustang with a turbo 4.

Would be interesting to see an EcoBoost variant as well.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/20/13 3:30 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: <+1. Herb Adams talks about when Trans Am was running both IRS or stick axle there was no real difference in lap times between the two. Although the extra unsprung weight doesn't help on surfaces that aren't smooth.

That is the issue he is talking about. He does not strip his stang, it is a driver. The roads around here are quite rough and the stiffness needed to control the axle has meant that the rear does step out of place at times

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
8/20/13 3:41 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Right. That this isn't the first time Ford has copied Aston Martin...Although now they've essentially stolen one of the most characteristic and iconic Aston Martin styling cues and are shamelessly trying to pass it off as their own brand identity.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/20/13 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Driven5:

At least Ford did it before Kia could......which is fitting since ford bankrolled AM for awhile.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Im5V1NadFsUMtIZYj4WoBJonvmgep7NaQmJOHyJy6dWznPKTTpOPn3sOMgtBaEA8