1 2
SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
7/6/18 2:59 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

that said.......from the original post it seems you're likely ahead of the curve of many of the novices I've seen at the many track nights I've been to.   Watch your mirrors and do point by's when they're called for.   Just drive and have fun, that's the whole point.   no stress, no awards, just drive.  

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/25/18 10:16 a.m.

Well, I survived and so did my car. I need to install the bigger radiator since I was seeing 230+ water temps. Still running the 2.3 radiator with the 302 in there. Have a new dual pass one but need to find the time to install it.

Far from the fastest person out there but taking this as education.

Only issue beside the water temp was my fans continue to run till the engine cools off so we had to jump start the car for one session but was fine after that.

Also where do these 20 something kids get the money for new Porsches, Vipers, Corvettes, etc etc???? Yes, I'm jealous!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/25/18 10:25 a.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

What run group? Learn anything? One thing everyone struggles with is looking ahead purposefully, not at the apex or brake points. Further your eyes go down the track the slower everything is. 

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/25/18 10:33 a.m.

I was in the Novice group, I've raced motorcycles for years and have done alot of laps around the track so I know it like the back of my hand but first time in a car.

So looking ahead and such is second nature. I need to learn to use the car lines though over the bike lines.

Will probably sign up for the August round at Blackhawk and my buddy is probably going to sign up his son too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/25/18 10:33 a.m.

Awesome, glad to hear that you had fun. I'm signed up for the August TNiA at Palm Beach. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/25/18 1:03 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

How'd the two compare? (tracking the bike vs tracking the car?)

The line in a full bodied (non-aero) car isn't usually the geometric line, it's a compromise between surface, incline/angle, and car power. Probably preaching to the choir obvy, just thinking aloud (Thinking online?). I'd assume (and be wrong?) that bikes lines are similar to crazy HP cars. Get through the corner, get it roughly straightened out, roll on the power? The lateral grip and cornering speed in a bike is (generally) much lower even if the times are faster.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/25/18 1:42 p.m.

Tracking a car vs bike is alot less physical, if I had gone to my first track day on a bike, I generally have charlie horses that night.

I was racing bikes about 10 years ago or so and they didn't have the giant HP bikes back then, I sprint raced a RC51 (130hp) and endurance raced a SV650 (90hp modified) so you had to keep the corner speed up especially on the SV.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
7/25/18 1:48 p.m.

Glad you enjoyed it and the car survived :)  The only way to go now is further down the spiral!

Psssst, hey man, ya got some track time buddy?  Just one session man...  I just need some g-force and brake smell to take the edge off for a little while...

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/25/18 2:03 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

Oof, charlie horses are a pretty steep price IMO (one of my biggest hates)! Any pictures of the car on track!? I'm back and forth if I'm going to TNiA @ Road Atlanta this weekend, just got back from two days @ RA this past weekend and I'm still recovering .... but track time is track time....

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/25/18 6:47 p.m.

I'm waiting for some pics from one of my buddies that went with me.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/29/18 6:42 p.m.

Here’s a shot I took at the track. My buddies shots where thru a chain link fence.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/29/18 7:55 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

Well .... that's perfect

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
7/29/18 8:06 p.m.

I'm planning on going to the MVP event at Road Atlanta in Nov. My buddy down there has another V8 swapped XR4Ti like mine but even more extreme.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jq55LflCsfnBSas62A8JBGQzUk3Z5F8xZAEZFq0hwmGwmYB9pA5PsAerJjgrgola