1 2 3 4
andrave
andrave Reader
9/11/09 1:26 p.m.

wow...

part of me wants to give them mad ups for being the chaparral of their time.

the other half of me wants to vomit.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
9/11/09 4:29 p.m.

I owned a TC for a short time and for some reason my engine blew at 14K miles.....I don't think it had anything to do with being on the rev limiter sliding the car on a twisty uphill road........you know maybe it was the sunroof...........hard to tell...

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
9/11/09 5:00 p.m.
jcanracer wrote: as with 95% of all scions, their owners are more interested in "show" rather than "go"

Yeah, still kinda NEWISH cars so your not picking them up super cheap... and they are sold as some kinda "Make it your own tyte whip" car.

Marketed well to the crowd who wants a sports car with out all that performance.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
9/11/09 5:29 p.m.

The weight distribution is not a legitimate excuse. Mini's, Honda's etc have the same and they handle pretty well. Even Neons.

mr2peak
mr2peak New Reader
9/11/09 6:22 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: In reply to andrave: apparently it set some kind of record at a time trial a couple months ago

Yup, fastest lap time in the front wheel drive class at the Redline Time Attack series at Willow Springs.

http://www.hrsprings.com/press/chris-rados-front-winged-scion-tc-breaks-lap-record-at-willow-springs

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
9/11/09 6:59 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The weight distribution is not a legitimate excuse. Mini's, Honda's etc have the same and they handle pretty well. Even Neons.

It's not a legit excuse if it's the only excuse.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
9/12/09 1:38 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Simple reason: I don't know that many females that auto-x. No lie, 90% of the tC's I see here are driven by late teens early 20's females.

Haha its the same deal in my area, most of the TCs are driven by females. In fact my good friends girlfriend drives one!

SCIONTCTUNER
SCIONTCTUNER None
9/29/09 11:10 a.m.

I Auto X my Tc for years! Never a problem. Be non- imagitive like every other sheep and buy a EVO or STI!

Carson
Carson Dork
9/29/09 11:42 a.m.

Yeah, you're talking to a bunch of guys (and gals) that autocross rarities including Hyundais, Volvos, Yugos, P71s, full size Ford wagons and whatever else we can pick up for $500.

You might be talking to the least non-imaginative sheep collection in motorsports.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/29/09 11:43 a.m.
SCIONTCTUNER wrote: I Auto X my Tc for years! Never a problem. Be non- imagitive like every other sheep and buy a EVO or STI!

One quick lesson, we buy Miatas

SCIONTCTUNER
SCIONTCTUNER New Reader
9/29/09 12:37 p.m.

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL QUESTION!

"Scion TC-Why is this car so seldom seen at autocrosses and Road Racing events?"

Don't follow these sheep,I see the same cars at every event,VW GTI, Mini's and so on. I'm speaking of your daily driver, not some purpose built weekend race car. How can they or anyone comment on a vehicle that they haven't Auto x. the Tc does just fine in STS class.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
9/29/09 2:01 p.m.

Too bad the tC can't compete in STS. It would be an ST car. And it goes back to the high curb weight and the low power with small tires.

Calling me a "sheeple" is hilarity at it's finest. I spent my first two years in a lighter than the TC Elantra with 140hp in ST. Got smoked for 2 years by the realyl fast guys. Did ok against the non-EF's. Spent this last year in a 1994 Suzuki Swift GT. That's about as far off the grid as you can get.

Get a grip and stop being a troll.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
9/29/09 3:44 p.m.

Looking at the specs on paper, I would expect the TC to be very close competition for the 2.3 Mazda 3.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
9/29/09 3:58 p.m.

And then reality hits.

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/29/09 4:13 p.m.

We lost the Celica All-Trac, MR2 and the Turbo Supra... And THAT is what Toyota calls a performance car?

SCIONTCTUNER
SCIONTCTUNER New Reader
9/29/09 4:19 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

SCIONTCTUNER
SCIONTCTUNER New Reader
9/29/09 7:02 p.m.

In reply to 1966stang:

Here is a direct quote from SSC. "Numberwise, the upgrades appear to have paid off. On the skidpad, the stock tC circled at a very Camry-like .82g. After the suspension mods and a set of 17x7-inch, 48mm offset, 5Zigen FN01R-C wheels and 225/45-17 Kumho ECSTA MX tires, the tC produced an impressive .91g. Slalom numbers also improved dramatically. The stock tC only mustered 66.1 mph but improved to 71.9 mph post-bolt-ons, which makes it only .4 mph slower through the slalom than the last EVO MR we tested. Not bad, considering the cost." Let me see a Elantra do these numbers.I have the same setup on my Tc and I'm very happy. There is a lot of haters out there! You just need to find the truth.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/29/09 7:25 p.m.
SCIONTCTUNER said: There is a lot of haters out there! You just need to find the truth.

I realize you have probably spent your entire internet life over at tuner forums, however, people here are anything but "haters"...except P71...

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
9/29/09 7:48 p.m.

A tC won the Performance Touring C title at NASA Nationals this year:

link

Apparently it's one of their project cars too. They're slowly backfilling articles so we can see what they did.

Just realized that they also were first at Nationals last year as well.

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
9/29/09 8:36 p.m.

I'm sure they handle well. I mean most modern small cars with decent suspension will handle pretty well given enough rubber.

It's everything else that detracts from the experience.

My step-father has a TC, and while he is happy with it, he admits that he'd rather have a Miata or something more sporty and RWD.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
9/29/09 9:07 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Looking at the specs on paper, I would expect the TC to be very close competition for the 2.3 Mazda 3.

Having driven a friend's TC several times (when my car was in the shop), and having owned a 2.3 Mazda3 (my wife's for 2 years), I can honestly say that the 3 is superior to the TC in virtually everything, especially handling balance......

Whether that is because of suspension geometry, tires, weight distro, or whatever I can't say...I never looked into it further. But the 3 was clearly a superior handler, and there are always a few 3's (2.3 and 2.0s) at local autocrosses around here, and rarely a TC.

On a side note, two women I work with who own TCs have been in significant accidents in them, and neither one is an aggressive driver by any means. Both lost the rear end....one on the highway in the rain...going straight! The other in the dry...

irish44j
irish44j Reader
9/29/09 9:11 p.m.

I'll also note that in this area, TCs are driven mostly by 20-something girls and teenage guys (equal amounts, from what I can tell). I think of them as the "new civic" in terms of being the trendy car for high school guys to get because 1. they "look" relatively fast 2. they are inexpensive compared with the other trendy teenager car around here, the GTI.... 3. parents like that they're toyotas, so reliable 4. alot of TRD/Toyota aftermarket parts covered under warranty = mom and dad let you mod it since warranty is still good 5. apparently the civic isn't really trendy for the teens anymore like it used to be...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
9/29/09 11:03 p.m.

Near as I can tell, Toyota is just badging what would be the coupe and wagon versions of the Corolla as the tC and the Matrix.

While I wouldn't mind one of the 1.8L (2ZZ-FE) Corolla XRSs, Corollas haven't been exciting in any way shape or form since the AE92.

steverife
steverife New Reader
9/30/09 8:46 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
MCarp22 wrote: Looking at the specs on paper, I would expect the TC to be very close competition for the 2.3 Mazda 3.
Having driven a friend's TC several times (when my car was in the shop), and having owned a 2.3 Mazda3 (my wife's for 2 years), I can honestly say that the 3 is superior to the TC in virtually everything, especially handling balance...... Whether that is because of suspension geometry, tires, weight distro, or whatever I can't say...I never looked into it further. But the 3 was clearly a superior handler, and there are always a few 3's (2.3 and 2.0s) at local autocrosses around here, and rarely a TC. On a side note, two women I work with who own TCs have been in significant accidents in them, and neither one is an aggressive driver by any means. Both lost the rear end....one on the highway in the rain...going straight! The other in the dry...

I don't agree. I hope that I continue to not see TC's in H Stock.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
9/30/09 1:02 p.m.
SCIONTCTUNER wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Wow That is riveting! Buttzilla!

Really? Are you twelve? I call Spam on this one.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VJGBP2pgHN1BTBPlhbypZP9DmH8xUF6TFDmhgZRgsqNLDvIDIiylDcIWjsMine5l