5 6 7 8 9
Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:00 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bahIzwH5FXo&feature=youtu.be

Start at 3:10. The Yellow (lapped) 458 is in front, followed by the leader (red) 458. Hand in the M3 passes the red 458.

Official results:

1. (36) Dirk Mueller; Jonathon Summerton; Joey Hand, Sacramento, CA; BMW E92 M3 (1, GT), 307.
  2. (33) Jan Magnussen; Antonio Garcia; Jordan Taylor, Apopka, FL; Corvette C6-ZR1 (2, GT), 307.
  3. (35) Olivier Beretta; Marco Cioci; Andrea Bertolini; Ferrari F458 Italia (3, GT), 307.
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
3/19/12 11:02 a.m.

The Ferrari spun trying not to hit the BMW allowing one of the Vetts to sneak past. I missed it the first time but then saw the Vette pass the Ferrari on a replay.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

Watch the link in the post above. There's no Vette in the shot. There's a yellow 458 that's lapped.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
3/19/12 11:12 a.m.

I would if I could but the tube is blocked at work.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
3/19/12 11:15 a.m.

Besides you are not the only one who was confused:

From here: http://www.corvetteracing.com/

"I really don't know what happened, but apparently the BMW and Ferrari got together," Magnussen said. "I didn't even know that I had passed the Ferrari in the darkness. We were struggling at the end of the race with the track conditions, so second is a huge bonus and a fantastic foundation to build on. Sebring is such a difficult race, and I'm very happy with a podium finish."

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/19/12 11:23 a.m.

The announcer was off on which car was which. He was thinking that the car that passed the BMW with the sign on the car was the 71, which it was not. The car that was fighting the BMW was the team mate of the 71 and not on the same lap. The 71 was about 10 or so car lengths back from the other Ferrari that hit the BMW at turn 5. The BMW recovered and got back on track but the 71(not involved with hitting the BMW) went 4 off in a spin IN THE SAME SPOT trying to check up, and the Corvette passed the 71. The announcer was calling that Ferrari the 71 which was even confusing me as I watched, but I was right there at 3 and watched the whole thing unfold at turn 5. Maroon92 was there with me and he even said "I wonder if the other Ferrari(he knew the number) is going to block the BMW for his team mate(the 71)". We were shocked to see them collect at 5. I think Hand in the BMW thought that Ferrari was the 71 as well and tried to close the door on him.

Everyone seemed to be confused. lol

I don't think they showed the 71(second place) spin or the Corvette(third place) pass him as they were concentrating on the BMW and the not-on-the-same lap Ferrari.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:34 a.m.

So the 458 passed in the above link is not the leader, as stated by the announcers?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
3/19/12 11:36 a.m.

Correct, that was a team mate of the 71.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:36 a.m.

Oh, I got it now. The hard to understand guy got all excited as he thought it was the leading Ferrari, then corrected as they crossed the line. Some 5-ish seconds later he says the Corvette passed the leading Ferrari as well, with no camera shot.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/19/12 11:39 a.m.
Javelin wrote: So the 458 passed in the above link is *not* the leader, as stated by the announcers?

Correct. That was the 51 the teammate of 71 that Berretta was driving. I watched the link again. They didn't show the 71 spin but it was in the SAME spot that the BMW went off but he went completely around and the 71 passed him. The 71 was WAAAY behind at the finish. They even had the scroller on the top wrong. I promise you, I watched the whole thing happen infront of me.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:40 a.m.

Alright, I got the end down now (#51 458, not the leading #71), but where the heck did the BMW pass the 71 and the ZR1?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/19/12 11:43 a.m.

The 71 wasnt infront of the BMW since the last round of pit stops. The only place he came close was when he tried to out brake the 56 at the hairpin. So he was infront of Hand for about 2 seconds as he did the Forza skid straight towards the hotel. lol

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:44 a.m.

I got you now. It has 56 (M3), 71(458), and 03?(ZR1) running 1-2-3 on the 2nd to last lap. The M3 gets checked by the 71's teammate, #51 and loses the lead right before the white flag. Somewhere in the next lap, #71 spins out. 56 goes by and wins, with the finishing drama provided by passing the (lapped) #51 that caused the original off right at the finish. After the announcers sort it out they announce the ZR1 has also snuck by the now way behind #71 for 2nd.

Whew!

Thanks fellas!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/19/12 11:50 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I got you now. It has 56 (M3), 71(458), and 03?(ZR1) running 1-2-3 on the 2nd to last lap. The M3 gets checked by the 71's teammate, #51 and loses the lead right before the white flag. Somewhere in the next lap, #71 spins out. 56 goes by and wins, with the finishing drama provided by passing the (lapped) #51 that caused the original off right at the finish. After the announcers sort it out they announce the ZR1 has also snuck by the now way behind #71 for 2nd. Whew! Thanks fellas!

Almost right. The 71 spun on the same lap at the same spot as the 56 but was about 10 car lengths back. He was checking up because there was a few cars checking up with the tangle of the 51 and the 56. When the 71 spun the Vette snuck by so then it was the 51(not on the same lap) then the 56, then the Corvette, then the 71 once everyone was back on the track after the incident.

Hell, I am having to recheck it as I type it. lol

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/19/12 11:56 a.m.

Who knew night finishes would be so crazy?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/19/12 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I have gotten to see a few wild GT2 finishes in the last few years. Ferrari running out of gas going into 10A on the last lap and one of the Vettes went by and won at Petit a couple of years ago. I was sitting right there as well.

2010 Petit

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/19/12 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

Saw that one, saw the 2007 Risi vs Frying Gizzard battle, this year's awesome battle.

It was insane seeing GT cars getting the torque off the corner and pulling close to the LMP cars. Especially when that GT car hit the Dyson!

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
3/19/12 2:36 p.m.

I was beside myself at the finish of the race. Largely because the Justin.TV stream died on the last 3 laps. Luckily I was chatting with some friends who gave me the blow by blow. Incredible stuff.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/19/12 3:00 p.m.

Thanks for the clip. I'd read about it, but missed it. Neighbor was trying to steal cable, disconnected my hi-speed internet with about 2hrs. left in the race. I think I know where the dog poo's going when I clean up the yard tomorrow..

Keith
Keith MegaDork
3/19/12 3:06 p.m.

I was the one that started this thread with "what do I need to know?", so I'll finish it with what I learned.

The big one: bring an AM radio. FM will be useless. Otherwise, you will have absolutely no idea what's going on. The ALMS website with the live scoring will tell you what cars are on the same lap, but not the gap between them. So it can be tough to follow the race. You'll end up sitting in a tent watching TV a few hundred feet from the track.

It was very cool to see, especially the chance to wander around the pits on Friday night and see what cars were being thrashed upon and which ones were being polished. And those Audis were in a different league than the rest of the pack.

Hillbilly party indeed. Extricating all of those vehicles is going to be one massive cluster that's going to last until Wednesday.

It won't be an annual pilgrimage for us, but I'm glad we went.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
3/19/12 3:17 p.m.

Keith:

Were you using the mobile site for T + S? I had it up on the main site on my laptop and it showed both gap between next in class and between next overall.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
3/19/12 3:55 p.m.

Yes, the mobile site. We didn't have a laptop or WiFi, so we had to go with the phone.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/19/12 4:00 p.m.

Hopefully a few of you got to hang with Rennie Bryant--- AKA-- King of Sebring.

Sorry to have missed you guys. I was running around for most of the weekend. I did see a couple of GRM guys on a golfcart (Steve maybe?) but didn't get a chance to talk.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/19/12 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Isn't Rennie one of the oldest friends the magazine has? I have a dim memory of Tim mentioning him in an article about building a BMW 2002 for SCCA IT..back when the mag was still named "Auto-X".

kabel
kabel Dork
3/19/12 8:14 p.m.

I was grateful for the participation at the Mazda car corral this year. Every year I meet a lot of new friends & this year was no exception. Thanks to everyone that attended and helped out.

There were major problems with the wifi (again) this year, all of the apps and the website that should have been feeding us live T&S were not working most of the time at the track. It was so bad I heard a few resourceful media/press people had to pirate the wec European feed just to be able to follow what was going on.

The Sebring experience is one of my favorite event of the year, always have a great time! Keith did you get a chance to visit the corral?

Here is a link to my full set of photos from all three day I was at the Track: 2012 - 12 hours of Sebring - All

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lPWdpntPbJq2gRgw9ozfSW32cfCh14fRHLTDAgkxqYmnNcRijbF64j4SgQuVl4ZP