1 2 3
lnlds
lnlds New Reader
11/29/12 3:07 p.m.

If you're considering the SVT focus, you can also consider the 2.3 duratec variant. SVT suspension goodies are cheap and the engine responds well to bolt-ons. Also better gas mileage and no timing belt IIRC.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/29/12 3:08 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: I'm iffy on the Tiburon since timing belts on that V6 seem like a PITA. Prelude is worth considering if the right car comes along, I suppose, but I still worry...

A once every, what? 50k mile job is scaring you off a car? Factor it into the buying price if you don't have time. Pay the dealer to do it then forget about it for a couple of years until you graduate collage. I bought my Miata while living out of the country, I wanted to drive it when I got back not start off working on it so that's exactly what I did. I got my girlfriend to drop it at the dealer. Once timing belt later I never thought about it for my entire time owning it.

But don't let me put you off the SVT Focus, stupid amount of fun.

Also, I'd strongly consider an SVT Contour. TOm Spangler and I both miss ours. The stories of them being hard to wrench on are blown way out of proportion. Internet lore indicates an alternator change is an all day or longer job with tool and a lift. B.S. 4.5 hours with jack stands and hand tools. Also HEGO sensors are supposed to try the patience of a saint and need spider like double jointed fingers. Again B.S. from the top in less than 30 mins.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/29/12 3:23 p.m.

944 turbo....my first one was my DD back in the day and saw plenty of snow.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/29/12 3:26 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: EG or EK Civic. Reliable as gravity, good gas mileage, huge aftermarket, fun to drive, easy to work on. I went thru a similar thing in my junior year in college and the Civic just made sense.

This would be stolen the instant you stepped away from it if you made it something other than a stock Civic.

If left stock it would be stolen a few minutes after you stepped away.

Adrian_Thompson
11/29/12 3:27 p.m.
Cotton wrote: 944 turbo....my first one was my DD back in the day and saw plenty of snow.

Wouldn't an S2 or even an 89 2.7 be a better reliable DD with cheaper running costs if time and money are an issue?

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/29/12 3:27 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I like the late 6spd Celica GTS option.

I like this idea as well. I had the chance to get one many moons ago, but got a Dodge Stealth Turbo instead.

That was a mistake.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
11/29/12 3:31 p.m.

A $5000 E36 M3 is going to be whipped hard and put away wet. They're durable cars but it's worth spending more to get a well maintained example.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
11/29/12 3:32 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Cotton wrote: 944 turbo....my first one was my DD back in the day and saw plenty of snow.
Wouldn't an S2 or even an 89 2.7 be a better reliable DD with cheaper running costs if time and money are an issue?

You guys are insane

The eye-watering cost of clutch and timing belt jobs make me never want a 944.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
11/29/12 3:44 p.m.

A $5k E36 M3 makes me nervous just seeing the idea put into print. A $5k 318ti seems much more non-horrible.

Adrian_Thompson
11/29/12 3:54 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
You guys are insane The eye-watering cost of clutch and timing belt jobs make me never want a 944.

Timing belts are easy DIY. Clutch, find one with it done recently and you pay a premium, but easily in the $5k limit.

I still vote SVT product or a Tib

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/12 3:59 p.m.
e_pie wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: EG or EK Civic. Reliable as gravity, good gas mileage, huge aftermarket, fun to drive, easy to work on. I went thru a similar thing in my junior year in college and the Civic just made sense.
This would be stolen the instant you stepped away from it if you made it something other than a stock Civic. If left stock it would be stolen a few minutes after you stepped away.

I have never been worried about either of mine being stolen but whatever,

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/29/12 4:02 p.m.

BMW, but newer than an E30, even though I love them.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/29/12 4:17 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
e_pie wrote:
This would be stolen the instant you stepped away from it if you made it something other than a stock Civic. If left stock it would be stolen a few minutes after you stepped away.
I have never been worried about either of mine being stolen but whatever,

Found the reason: Madison, AL

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/29/12 5:35 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:

probably but not as fun. When I used mine as a DD I was just out of school and broke ($$ wise) most of the time, but was still able to keep it going. They aren't nearly as scary as the (there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche) guys make them out to be. If I went off internet knowledge on auto purchases I'd be scared to buy anything but shoes for transport.

bgkast
bgkast New Reader
11/29/12 5:45 p.m.

Good luck finding a Matrix/Vibe in that price range. Around here the regular ones go for $6,000 plus, and most seem to have salvage titles.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/29/12 5:53 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
You guys are insane The eye-watering cost of clutch and timing belt jobs make me never want a 944.

I did my tb, balance belts, rollers, waterpump etc for around $500 in parts. Neither of mine needed a clutch, but when the time comes I'll tackle that one too.

slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
11/29/12 5:56 p.m.

97-00 v70r

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
11/29/12 5:57 p.m.

I would still rather have something newer. I've done the 80's RWD sports car deal to death, the only two I haven't had are the Starion and 944 and neither of those are on my radar for a year-round daily driver. Besides, it's not the money as much as the time - I can do a timing belt myself, but as my only vehicle and with no more than 4 hours of breathing room at any given time, I'd be paying a shop to do it anyways...

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
11/29/12 5:58 p.m.
slopecarver wrote: 97-00 v70r

Yowza, are they really that cheap now? They made 5-speeds, right?

bengro
bengro New Reader
11/29/12 7:02 p.m.

7 series bmw. V12 power, civic prices

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
11/29/12 7:17 p.m.
bengro wrote: 7 series bmw. V12 power, civic prices

Um, no. Never sold as manual in any generation I'd actually want, and I'm not looking for a technoluxobarge as my city driver. If you mean that every part costs as much as a Civic, you're absolutely correct...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/30/12 12:20 a.m.

A 5k M3 can quickly become a 7 or 8K M3 if you need to catch up on differed maintinance. I initially was looking for ones in the same same price range but ended up spending more after I looked at a few rats and started mentally calculating what it would take to get them where I would reliably drive it everyday.

I love the car and would probably keep it forever if I didn't all of the sudden get the urge to buy a 911....

As far as the TT is concerned go sit in one. I drove one for a few days and the fancy silver things on the side of the center console dug into my leg horribly. I was so uncomfortable I refused to drive it after that. My leg is cramping just thinking about that stupid center console.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/30/12 7:53 a.m.

Regular MINI Cooper? They are getting down to around $5k from what I have seen.

Volvo 960 Turbo?

Accent GT (2nd generation) or Accent SE (3rd generation)? I know the GT was compared to the original Rabbit GTI and SE was the replacement for that one. Very underrated cars IMHO.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
11/30/12 10:38 a.m.

E36 325 or 328. spare rims with snows. update cooling system.

it's easy for me to say this as a 45-year-old, and it's easy for me to look back and see myself ignoring it as a 25-year-old, but i'll say it anyway because it is right:

stop spending money on autocross and other hobby stuff until you're finished with school and have a job that you love / like enough to see as a long-term proposition.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
11/30/12 10:51 a.m.

I see nothing wrong with your 9-3SS idea... our 2004 is north of 125k now and is a hoot to drive, even with the autotragic my wife wanted. I've done a track day with it and it did not in any way embarass itself. Wonderful highway car, we just saw 32mpg on a trip to my parents place for Thanksgiving. Personally I'd look for an Arc instead of an Aero just for the turbo 4, though you do miss out on the cool 2-tone leather. You can always swap interiors!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ocO1Lu08r4BDKM7CKLGY9UFvhsey3dx0bWlGvHr1ndbatxsZtaAyPcF53cJo6yxC