aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/7/22 6:33 p.m.

Went to SevenStock (where many are not 7's and few are stock!) last weekend in Fontana CA.  I am not sure there are any other large rotary gatherings in the country, but this one used to be at the Mazda design center in Irvine, but got too big.  Apparently Mazda is now backing off supporting it.  They did supply factory race cars, but would not get drivers for them (so they were static).

Our chariot (RXRevin's car) (lower right).  An interesting parking lot.  Unaffiliated AutoX in the background.

The FD's in the show.  There were LOTs of them (must have been a good percentage of those on the road!)

One on the course (soon to be downsized to a short track.... argh):

You might recognize this car

The 4 rotor motor on the 787 (787B was slightly different)

Saw this car and though "wow, how did he restore the plastic like that"?  Well.... it only has 2900 miles on it!  (I heard he payed $60,000 for it).

This guy is just asking for it.  A turbo 13b in a 66 911!!  (He said the car was trash when he got it)

Where it started (Cosmo motor)

Someone built a turbo 6 rotor in an FD (apparently just came from Sema)

Some old stuff

Some 8's

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/7/22 6:37 p.m.

Sadly I can only give one thumbs up.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/7/22 6:39 p.m.
aircooled said:

Some old stuff

Heh.  I found it amusing that this comment came after 5 or 6 photos in which the newest car was 28 years old :)

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
11/7/22 6:56 p.m.

Glad to hear SevenStock is still going strong! I always wanted to make it out for that, even though my rotary days are behind me :(

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/7/22 9:00 p.m.

Still love rotaries. I have an 86 RX7 GXL  (FC) the first year of the second gen. Would love to make it to SevenStock some year.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
11/8/22 12:24 a.m.

Not a 6 rotor, that is Rob Dahms 4 rotor. The tube frame portion of the chassis is based on the Hoonicorn. His youtube channel is great. AWD 4 rotor FD, lots of content.

7 stock is the US Mecca for rotary owners. Lots of guys driving across the country to attend. I hope to go one day.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/8/22 8:37 a.m.

Love me some old skool rotary.

I guess they all are now since the newest one is 10 years old.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/8/22 10:21 a.m.

Never thought about putting a rotary into a Porsche.

I wonder how much would that impact weight and balance?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/8/22 10:39 a.m.

That's awesome about the rotary event. I've always been tempted to get one.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/9/22 10:24 a.m.

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to make the trip one year in the FD.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
11/9/22 11:20 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

A few 914 swaps running about...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/9/22 12:16 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Pretty sure the motor is lighter (and/or at least shorter), and the radiator is in the front, so I would guess a fair amount.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/9/22 1:36 p.m.
aircooled said:

Went to SevenStock (where many are not 7's and few are stock!) last weekend in Fontana CA. 

While the "Seven" is surely a reference to the RX-7, I'm pretty sure the "Stock" is a reference to that crescendo of 1960's culture, good taste, and restraint--Woodstock.

https://dancingastronaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/travel-woodstock-1969.jpg

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
11/10/22 10:58 a.m.

this has been on my bucket list but the tow bill from MI to CA without going to any race isn't appealing . I could try to ship it out and fly out possibly one year. 

Any plans for Deals Gap Rotary Rally in the spring? 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/10/22 2:07 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

this has been on my bucket list but the tow bill from MI to CA without going to any race isn't appealing . I could try to ship it out and fly out possibly one year. 

Are you looking attend a pro race as a spectator, or to race yourself?

If you're looking to race, there are plenty of SCCA and NASA events in November here in California (both NorCal and SoCal chapters of each).  Odds are there will probably be one the weekend before or after (I'm heading up to Thunderhill for NASA this weekend, for example).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/10/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

They need to hold DGRR later in the year, there's usually salt still on the road in the spring when they hold it.  Hard nope.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Rpaauze2NjdJrLuaXwfBV9UXwVSbANJ35LRewreSufdZyjsw8AAcolL5ux3tbSR