1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/13/20 1:48 p.m.

I built what my son lovingly calls the rickety racks. Used 2x8s and 10s and built two racks above two others cars. I try to keep engine-less cars above to keep the weight down, but still so sketchy and unsafe, I can't show you pictures. Still, I built them about five years ago in my pole barn and they are still there and have been through three hurricanes. But, we don't sit below them for any long periods of time.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/13/20 3:49 p.m.
Tim Suddard said:

I built what my son lovingly calls the rickety racks. Used 2x8s and 10s and built two racks above two others cars. I try to keep engine-less cars above to keep the weight down, but still so sketchy and unsafe, I can't show you pictures. Still, I built them about five years ago in my pole barn and they are still there and have been through three hurricanes. But, we don't sit below them for any long periods of time.

Yeah i can confirm all of this. I've had to go under those racks for stuff before, and I can say that I approach with exactly the same feeling that you;d get when you were 7 and had to walk home past the house with the mean dog.

xflowgolf (Forum Supporter)
xflowgolf (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/13/20 5:08 p.m.

what do you want to put over the car?  Not exactly what you're asking for... but I suspended a shelf from the ceiling along a back wall in my garage and parked a dead car shell under it (sideways).  It's not carrying super heavy parts, mainly a bunch of big storage tupperware storage bins with household stuff.  Built a frame out of 2x4's for the shelf and secured to the wall studs, and used 3/8 threaded rod on the front side of the shelf attached with fender washers through 2x6's laid over the truss bottom chord to spread the carrying load.  It's not going to completely cover a car the full width, but in a low ceiling garage, the added shelf space with a clear floor is beneficial.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Lec4s4m6NTdQmkJfo4GkTHmkbw0lIu1EmA2OB44NxfeerKgYkSWRUgoFzMk4IOV