1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/16/09 7:16 p.m.

So far, so good. A few updates since there seemed to be a lot of interest in the car:

Got it registered today. This plate seemed appropriate: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/environmental/protect_florida_whales.html

a/c still seems better than expected.

I'm amazed at how many compliments the car receives.

My commute is only about 10 minutes each way, but I'd do a longer daily drive.

The Porsche, Miata and Civic fit into our supposedly two-car garage.

Still haven't turn on the radio.

So far I haven't spun out of control.

And some more photos, too:

Lunch stop somewhere south of Atlanta.

The view that matters. (And don't try this at home, kids.)

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/16/09 7:28 p.m.

How many miles are on it and has it ever been repainted?

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/16/09 7:32 p.m.

Damn you people, damn you all to hell, I want a porsche so bad right now I can taste it. Looks really nice by the way and I love the choice of plates I think I'm going to hold out for a 993, I may have to ditch the Fiesta/project car idea and just get a porsche, did I mention that I hate you people

David S. Wallens
6/16/09 7:37 p.m.
Woody wrote: How many miles are on it and has it ever been repainted?

130k by the time I got to Florida, and it's wearing original paint. While there's no paperwork, all signs point to the heads being done at some point. The compression check numbers were impressive.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
6/16/09 7:39 p.m.

too late, but a Porsche of a different flavor...

No pedestrians were harmed during the making of the above picture, but I definitely killed bugs fast!

sweet 911... just remember, the world only spins around you when you get off the gas..no lift!

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/16/09 7:47 p.m.

David,

I know that this was Andy's car, but had you been actively looking for a 911 or did you just happen to come across this one?

Luke
Luke Dork
6/16/09 7:57 p.m.

924guy, that 924 is maxed, but only turning at 3500RPM?

Awesome Porsche, David. I love the '80s-ness of the later 911's just as much as the clean lines of the early '70s models.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/16/09 8:11 p.m.

Very appropriate plate. Congrats again!

Winston
Winston New Reader
6/16/09 8:16 p.m.

Love the plate, and that's some good news about the A/C for me (since I live in south TX). I've mostly heard about how ineffective it is.

David S. Wallens
6/16/09 8:18 p.m.
Woody wrote: David, I know that this was Andy's car, but had you been actively looking for a 911 or did you just happen to come across this one?

I had been looking and researching for a while--since late last year--and this one was just too good to pass up: the right year, right condition, right price and right seller. I actually started looking at 996s before moving to 964s and 993s before settling on an SC or Carrera. Strengths and weaknesses, looks and features guided me toward the SC/Carrera. The prices are also good as they have to be fully depreciated by now. On the plus side, all of that research will turn into a nice article.

David S. Wallens
6/16/09 8:18 p.m.
Rangeball wrote: Very appropriate plate. Congrats again!

And credit where it is due: That plate was JG's idea.

Winston
Winston New Reader
6/16/09 8:21 p.m.
Luke wrote: I love the '80s-ness of the later 911's just as much as the clean lines of the early '70s models.

I was thinking the same thing. I think I love the look of the late-70's/80's 911 more than the 964 because it has that oh-so-right look. Now, if we're talking about the 993 vs. the rest of the field, all bets are off. Those cars are just flat gorgeous.

David S. Wallens wrote: all of that research will turn into a nice article.

Woohoo!

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/16/09 8:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Woody wrote: David, I know that this was Andy's car, but had you been actively looking for a 911 or did you just happen to come across this one?
I had been looking and researching for a while--since late last year--and this one was just too good to pass up: the right year, right condition, right price and right seller. I actually started looking at 996s before moving to 964s and 993s before settling on an SC or Carrera. It wasn't price as much as generation, look and features. On the plus side, all of that research will turn into a nice article.

I started at the SC and now have moved to the 964. You get the 3.6L with the 'similar' body style. I don't think I am alone in saying, I look forward to the article!

David S. Wallens
6/16/09 8:27 p.m.

964s supposedly have some cylinder sealing problems as the early 964s don't have head gaskets. However, I'm assuming that most cars have been fixed by now. The early looks of the SC/Carrera were also factors. (Don't forget, we produce Classic Motorsports, too.)

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/16/09 8:49 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I had been looking and researching for a while--since late last year--and this one was just too good to pass up: the right year, right condition, right price and right seller. I actually started looking at 996s before moving to 964s and 993s before settling on an SC or Carrera. Strengths and weaknesses, looks and features guided me toward the SC/Carrera. The prices are also good as they have to be fully depreciated by now. On the plus side, all of that research will turn into a nice article.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. Allowing you to live vicariously through others since 1984.

Nah, not really. There's a lot of stuff I never would have tried for m'self if I hadn't seen y'all do it for a fraction of the price I thought it would take. I'm just jealous, David...but you already knew that from my post on the other thread.

EDIT: oh, yeah..almost forgot. Show us the Whale Tail! Whaddaya watin' for!

David S. Wallens
6/16/09 9:28 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: EDIT: oh, yeah..almost forgot. Show us the Whale Tail! Whaddaya watin' for!

Whale Tale:

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/16/09 9:56 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: EDIT: oh, yeah..almost forgot. Show us the Whale Tail! Whaddaya watin' for!
Whale Tale:

Now that's what I'm talking about! Looks like you got a good one, David. Two thumbs up to JG for reccommending the specialty plate.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
6/16/09 10:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The view that matters. (And don't try this at home, kids.)

ZOMG, I just had a vivid "Accolade Test Drive" flashback! Maybe I need one of these too.

Luke
Luke Dork
6/16/09 10:17 p.m.

I'm curious to know what the gearbox is like. Not being a G50, does that make it a 4-speed? People talk about the shift as being tricky/inferior to the G50. Nothing double de clutching can't fix? Or is there an inherent difference in the overall feel/action?

David S. Wallens
6/16/09 10:24 p.m.

The 915 gearbox was used from like 1972 through 1986, first with four speeds and then five. Mine just got new shifter bushings (thanks, Andy) and it shifts pretty well. It's not like my CRX, but I'm not hating it, either. I figure it's part of the charm. Good or bad, the 915 also uses a cable clutch where the G50 has a hydro assembly. Someone can correct me, but I believe that the G50 box is also heavier.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
6/17/09 4:29 a.m.
Luke wrote: 924guy, that 924 is maxed, but only turning at 3500RPM? Awesome Porsche, David. I love the '80s-ness of the later 911's just as much as the clean lines of the early '70s models.

the early 80's govt reg 85 mph speedo bouncing off its limiting pin, was the only part that was maxed out. 5th gear is pretty tall and even 3500 rev can easily exceed the mechanical limits of the speedo. itll spin to 6k (130ish mph ) before you have to start to worry about going to boomville. ive got a 160mph speedo for it when it all goes back together so i wont have to hear that annoying tick,tick, tick of a speedo about to implode.

Why cant i stop thinking "those fuchs would look great on my challenge car?? " sorry david...

I wonder if I can get a tag with a minnow on it for my 924?

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/17/09 7:26 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The 915 gearbox was used from like 1972 through 1986, first with four speeds and then five. Mine just got new shifter bushings (thanks, Andy) and it shifts pretty well. It's not like my CRX, but I'm not hating it, either. I figure it's part of the charm. Good or bad, the 915 also uses a cable clutch where the G50 has a hydro assembly. Someone can correct me, but I believe that the G50 box is also heavier.

Nope your right. The G50 is heavier because it is a much more capable (hp wise) transmission. The 915 they say is good to 300(ish) hp. The 930 (turbo) uses a derivative of the 915 which has four gears instead of five. Basically they beefed up the internals using the 915 casing.

Not an expert but I have been researching these things for at least two months now.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
6/17/09 7:45 a.m.

Congrats Dave she is beautiful......

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/17/09 8:30 a.m.

You know what I would change about that car? Nothing.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/17/09 8:37 a.m.

Here's what you need to know about the 915 transmission: The clutch is heavier because it's cable actuated and you can't rush the shifts.

Think of shifting as a two step process (into neutral, then into gear) and you'll be fine.

I think they get a bum rap because, by the early 80's cheaper cars were starting to come with some pretty smooth shifters.

And, once again, that color combo is damn near perfect. If I were buying a new one back in 84, that might have been my first choice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KXpbJlMOQmnPJJKcqEIbEY8xNUFbNOFIR6F79USEAuBUkX6FlPfVVV55pTXFLOH5