3 4 5 6
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/16/23 8:24 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Sort of.  Lower mileage = higher asking price in general.  Just because a car with 100k miles has a good maintenance history won't make it worth as much as one with 30k miles but a more spotty history

That may be true in general.  But I'd rather have a 100K mile 996 with exhaustive history, IMS done, coolant hoses not from 20 years ago etc. than a 30K that's spent time sitting with the bare minimum of maintinance done.  This may not apply to other cars.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/16/23 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Well, technically I'd prefer a 30k mile 996 with an exhaustive history and all the stuff done to it.  Haha.  I was a little worried when I got my 996 with 29k miles as it'd only seen 3000 miles of use in 6 years but thankfully there weren't any issues with that.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/16/23 12:08 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
mr2peak said:

I would never pay that much for a 996. I was offered one as a straight swap for my FD, I'd rather have the FD than egglights

I might be in that camp too, honestly. I even made a post in the nostalgia thread....as much as I want a lot of the old stuff I can't pay the nostalgia tax because I've got plenty of other things going on in life. Here's to hoping they don't rise anymore! I mean, I have a well sorted NB1 Miata and I may get my hands on a mint E90 3 Series so I don't really know if I can justify a 996 if the prices go up. At this point I might as well try to justify owning another P-Crest vehicle (like an old-ish Panamera) because it has practical use.

Me three. 12K project car, maybe. 30-40k aged IMS engined 996 generation car? Noper. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/16/23 2:56 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
mr2peak said:

I would never pay that much for a 996. I was offered one as a straight swap for my FD, I'd rather have the FD than egglights

I might be in that camp too, honestly. I even made a post in the nostalgia thread....as much as I want a lot of the old stuff I can't pay the nostalgia tax because I've got plenty of other things going on in life. Here's to hoping they don't rise anymore! I mean, I have a well sorted NB1 Miata and I may get my hands on a mint E90 3 Series so I don't really know if I can justify a 996 if the prices go up. At this point I might as well try to justify owning another P-Crest vehicle (like an old-ish Panamera) because it has practical use.

Me three. 12K project car, maybe. 30-40k aged IMS engined 996 generation car? Noper. 

Yup, you said it best. Paying 30-40k to have a minefield of a car is not really ideal. I even checked classic car insurance rates...insane! You really gotta love the 911 to want this thing. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/16/23 3:27 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Fortunately, you can purchase a car that's 3/4 of a 996 for 1/4 of the price. It's called a 986! laugh

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
3/15/23 4:12 p.m.

Prices have started to come down on 996s, but they'll probably never fall to where they were 5-6 years ago. Recently I saw a nice guards red 6MT 996 in sale in I think Tampa for $26K. IMS had already been done, came with a pile of receipts. Very reasonable miles for a 20-year-old car. 

Related, i've seen that the price of 944s is still high. It wasn't that long ago that you could get one in pretty solid shape for $4-5 grand, but those days are long gone. I'm still seeing non-turbo 944s in good shape go for $10K and up. Also first gen Boxsters have settled around the low teens, sometimes lower. Those are still a solid option for a fun car. I'll revisit this in a year when I'm ready to upgrade my car.

3/15/23 6:20 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

Prices have started to come down on 996s, but they'll probably never fall to where they were 5-6 years ago. Recently I saw a nice guards red 6MT 996 in sale in I think Tampa for $26K. IMS had already been done, came with a pile of receipts. Very reasonable miles for a 20-year-old car. 

Related, i've seen that the price of 944s is still high. It wasn't that long ago that you could get one in pretty solid shape for $4-5 grand, but those days are long gone. I'm still seeing non-turbo 944s in good shape go for $10K and up. Also first gen Boxsters have settled around the low teens, sometimes lower. Those are still a solid option for a fun car. I'll revisit this in a year when I'm ready to upgrade my car.

I think a 996 in good condition for 25k would be sweet. I'll regret the days I didn't get one for under 20k....but hey, that's life.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/16/23 8:47 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

I'd buy a 996 or 986 in a heart beat over a 944 and I've owned two 944 turbos

3/16/23 12:17 p.m.
docwyte said:

I was even looking at 944 Turbos as well. Got any reasons why you didn't like them as much as the others?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/16/23 12:27 p.m.
docwyte said:

I was even looking at 944 Turbos as well. Got any reasons why you didn't like them as much as the others?

I've had both. The 986/996 is a much more modern car. The 944 dates back to the 70s, and you can tell. The only reason to chose a 944 over a 986/996 is nostalgia. Which can be enough, of course. Personal preference.

3/16/23 12:43 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
docwyte said:

I've had both. The 986/996 is a much more modern car. The 944 dates back to the 70s, and you can tell. The only reason to chose a 944 over a 986/996 is nostalgia. Which can be enough, of course. Personal preference.

Yeah, getting a bit older now (33 years old) I do have a bit of nostalgia miss my first car which was a 1987 Supra. I guess I'll never know if I'd love it as much as I did if I ride in it now, knowing what I know and having driven many different cars. Are you referring to the suspension/chassis setup or just the interior (in reference to your 70s comment)

spandak
spandak Dork
3/16/23 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

And looks! The 944 is a great looking car

No 996 experience because poor but the ROI on my 986 has been incredible. I paid $7300 and put some more (not a lot) into it. Name a better canyon car that also is a DD for less. I can't think of one. 

I don't fit in Miatas. 

3/16/23 1:48 p.m.
spandak said:

And looks! The 944 is a great looking car

No doubt about it. Looks-wise, the 944 is in my top 10 all-time cars. It's why I've owned two of them. smiley

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/16/23 2:21 p.m.

Well, 944 turbo's aren't cheap now.  For many years $10k would buy you a really good one, even if it was a Turbo S.  In fact, that's what I paid for both of mine.  Now that's basically tripled for a Turbo S.  As others have pointed out, they're old now and they kinda drive like it.  They have inter-galactic turbo lag, I mean, it's really, really, really bad.  Even with a 3" exhaust and a MAF conversion they're really, really bad lag wise.

They can be very mechanically needy if they weren't maintained impeccably.  Some of the repairs are eye wateringly expensive.  The rear hatch likes to debond and nobody, and I mean, nobody, glass shop wise wants to touch that job.  Then clutch, torque tube, oil pan, timing belts, fuel lines, on and on.

The 996/986 platform is so much newer, they drive so much better and yeah, they've got their issues but I'd take a 996/986 in average condition over any 944/951 in the same shape anyday of the week.

3/17/23 5:39 a.m.
docwyte said:

Well, 944 turbo's aren't cheap now.  For many years $10k would buy you a really good one, even if it was a Turbo S.  In fact, that's what I paid for both of mine.  Now that's basically tripled for a Turbo S.  As others have pointed out, they're old now and they kinda drive like it.  They have inter-galactic turbo lag, I mean, it's really, really, really bad.  Even with a 3" exhaust and a MAF conversion they're really, really bad lag wise.

They can be very mechanically needy if they weren't maintained impeccably.  Some of the repairs are eye wateringly expensive.  The rear hatch likes to debond and nobody, and I mean, nobody, glass shop wise wants to touch that job.  Then clutch, torque tube, oil pan, timing belts, fuel lines, on and on.

The 996/986 platform is so much newer, they drive so much better and yeah, they've got their issues but I'd take a 996/986 in average condition over any 944/951 in the same shape anyday of the week.

All very good stuff to know. I totally forgot how bad old school turbo lag was.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/17/23 6:45 a.m.

Having owned 944s and a 986 and a 996, I'd get a Cayman if I ever got another Porsche, a 986 S or 987 S version.

3/17/23 8:39 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Having owned 944s and a 986 and a 996, I'd get a Cayman if I ever got another Porsche, a 986 S or 987 S version.

Interesting. What made you sell them in the first place? Just trying to figure out if it'll live up to my internal hype or it'll just be another car eventually.

3/17/23 8:50 a.m.

Yeah, I've kind of leaned that way myself. The only reason I got a 986 is that I couldn't afford a Cayman. I'm not a convertible guy. But, I think if I ever do return to the world of Porsche, it will be for a 911 of some variety or another. That's the remaining itch I haven't scratched yet.

The 944T does have some truly epic, measure-it-with-a-calendar turbo lag. But that can be kind of entertaining, too. You put your foot down, and it's nothing, nothing, nothing, WHOOSH! It always made me giggle.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/17/23 9:37 a.m.

Except when you've pulled out and are trying to cross the street without getting hit.  Then your foot goes deeper and deeper into the gas, the boost finally hits and the car peels out across the intersection. 

These just don't have *any* real power off boost.  It's a low compression, old school turbo motor.

3/17/23 10:37 a.m.
docwyte said:

Except when you've pulled out and are trying to cross the street without getting hit.  Then your foot goes deeper and deeper into the gas, the boost finally hits and the car peels out across the intersection. 

These just don't have *any* real power off boost.  It's a low compression, old school turbo motor.

No doubt. You have to plan ahead, for sure. I tried autocrossing mine once. The power delivery was so non-linear I could hardly control it. Still, I'll always remember the first time I hit a freeway on-ramp with mine.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
3/17/23 1:50 p.m.

I've driven a few 996s before and found them to be wonderful cars. I would absolutely love one, in fact I plan on buying one once I get a house and some money saved.

The location also affects the price. Here in Cleveland, Porsches aren't as common and the prices tend to be higher. I was just looking in the Tampa, FL area and found several boxsters in good shape below 10K and a nice red 996 6MT with records for under $30K. So the prices have come down on a lot of Porsches. But yeah, 944 Turbos will never be cheap again. Cool cars and drop-dead gorgeous with BBS wheels but pricey.

3/17/23 2:38 p.m.

Interesting. What made you sell them in the first place? Just trying to figure out if it'll live up to my internal hype or it'll just be another car eventually.

Rallycross and not having a job for about a year.  I'd rather drive something that I can blow up and afford to replace the engine inexpensively.  I would never drive my Porsches like I do other cars.  I could probably turn faster lap times in a stock Miata than I would a 996 because no fear of anything breaking.  

3/17/23 3:15 p.m.

Rallycross and not having a job for about a year.  I'd rather drive something that I can blow up and afford to replace the engine inexpensively.  I would never drive my Porsches like I do other cars.  I could probably turn faster lap times in a stock Miata than I would a 996 because no fear of anything breaking.  

Makes sense. That's why I have a Miata right now. 996 motors seem to be 20-30k, along with the fact that they are also 25-30k to buy....

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/17/23 3:25 p.m.

That's kind of funny because I bought a 986 primarily for rallycross a few years ago. My justification was that the 986 2.5L was the one porsche engine I *could* afford to replace. Of course that was back when those were ~$5k cars.

3/17/23 11:10 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

You can find used 2.5 and 2.7s for reasonable prices.  The 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6s are a totally different story.  The insane part is that no matter which one you rebuild you can figure on $20k or so. 

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W0I68fJzWHB1YXRMNk5PpVDUqhg4atB7oQSq81U28Y8nVbAHACzJKUAmeKuJCAkc