1 2 3
Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/2/09 2:08 p.m.

And you had a month to buy a car to drive, and $3k to spend on it (including any required mantaince/spare parts) what would you get? (again, like the thing I posted yesterday, not a serious question, just curious). I think on this one id pick either a Subaru Legacy or Mercedes w123 diesel.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/2/09 2:16 p.m.

A 1966 Cadillac. I've got about $3k in this one. Nothing cruises better. 75 mph is comfortable, but feels fast. Everybody loves it, and you can fit 3-4 bodies in the trunk.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
1/2/09 2:30 p.m.

im not kidding when I tell you that I'd do it in a Miata. While it's not going to be quite as comfortable as keiths caddy, I'd have to love the rag top and sun on my face. And the trunk is big enough for two dead bodies. Even more if they're clowns.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
1/2/09 2:40 p.m.

Datsun 1200 sedan.

*EDIT.....or, any pre-'76 Volkswagon Bug

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
1/2/09 3:03 p.m.

I did it on a Honda 150. Not recommended.

dean1484
dean1484 HalfDork
1/2/09 3:20 p.m.

Having done it several times I will now fly and rent a nice car when I get there. But that is just me.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
1/2/09 3:21 p.m.

Chevy Lumina.

You know you're going to be able to find parts for it anywhere in the country, and they're inexpensive anvils.

This is assuming you need the car for longer than the trip. I know someone who, when faced with a long-ish driving trip, rents a car. If it goes tits-up, a phone call and a minor wait and they deliver him another one, and he's on his way.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/2/09 3:22 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: I did it on a Honda 150. Not recommended.

I have a CT 90 in the garage. Maybe I could take the off road route.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/2/09 3:26 p.m.

Either a 90-99 Celica GT (comfy enough, handles well enough to be fun through the mountains you'll eventually find, air conditioning that will freeze your face if you need it, and a willing, if not spectacularly fast drivetrain.)

Or a mid to late 90s V6 Camry. (Comfy Comfy Cruiser, PLENTY of power, and a smooth ride. Add in a 5-speed for hilarious Mustang/Camaro stomping action.)

Good gas mileage for both.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
1/2/09 3:33 p.m.

Another vote for an old Cadillac. They're seriously undervalued in my opinion and nothing will ride nicer out on the freeway.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
1/2/09 3:35 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Having done it several times I will now fly and rent a nice car when I get there. But that is just me.

me too

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/2/09 3:44 p.m.

I'd buy another 80's buick century for $500. With the 2.5 it'll run forever, there really aren't any common mechanical failures, and they're comfortable as hell. Any junkyard or autoparts store will have any part you would need and those cars were stupid easy to work on. Also, since they shared parts with pretty much every other GM car, anything you do need is dirt cheap. Even the tires are in a super common size.

Really, any common american sedan would be ok for such a journey.

I wouldn't think twice about driving my 220k mile 2001 voyager cross country. Although if it broke I'd be real tempted to just leave it where it fell and get another one at the next town.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/2/09 3:47 p.m.

My sister is driving from Mass. to L.A. in a ZX2 this month.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
1/2/09 3:48 p.m.

Legacy sounds good, either that or an AE101 sedan...they're a dime a dozen and have parts in common with many other Toyotas.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
1/2/09 3:51 p.m.
Keith wrote: A 1966 Cadillac. ... and you can fit 3-4 bodies in the trunk.

If you're only getting 3-4 bodies in that trunk, you're not trying.

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
1/2/09 3:55 p.m.

The best highway car i can imagine is a turbod 4, but I don't know which car is something like that that is reliable.

Another option might be a turbodiesel.

The only issue with a caddy is the gas mileage, you'll save money on the initial investment, but spend it with expensive gas. I'm sure parts wouldn't be too bad of an issue, you could probably carry a spare everything in the trunk.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
1/2/09 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K: It would have to be something older, unique and reliable like this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1559940

A great read if you have the time ...

sachilles
sachilles Reader
1/2/09 4:02 p.m.

Pick up an audi a4. There values are in the crapper. They are comfy, and have plenty of power. Their problem areas won't strand you or kill you. Not the best, not the worst on gas. All wheel drive for when the weather goes south.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/2/09 4:04 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:

I'm talking about corn-fed American bodies in rigor. Not the Japanese ones that have been through a woodchipper that you can fit two into a Miata trunk.

I get 14 mpg highway on the Cadillac, and gas is $1.60 for high test around here. And your super-low insurance cost makes up for the higher gas cost anyhow. But gas cost was not given as parameter.

Some of you guys are trying to plan a trip. I'm suggesting an adventure.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/2/09 4:10 p.m.

The link to VW vortex is the type of trip I was thinking of when I posted this. I have always liked those old Cadillacs, I could see one being fun to drive on a long trip. Probably any 60s/early 70s american car, or 80s euro car would be the most fun, although I could imagine some of them could give you a bit more of an adventure than you were looking for. lol

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/2/09 4:25 p.m.

buick century. Cheap.. reliable with 3.8 and super road worthy...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
1/2/09 4:27 p.m.

1963 Ford Ranchero.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/2/09 4:32 p.m.
Keith wrote:
slantvaliant wrote:
I'm talking about corn-fed American bodies in rigor. Not the Japanese ones that have been through a woodchipper that you can fit two into a Miata trunk. I get 14 mpg highway on the Cadillac, and gas is $1.60 for high test around here. And your super-low insurance cost makes up for the higher gas cost anyhow. But gas cost was not given as parameter. Some of you guys are trying to plan a trip. I'm suggesting an adventure.

An adventure would be something British, with a trunkload of spare parts, tools and duct tape.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/2/09 4:35 p.m.
JohnW wrote: In reply to Travis_K: It would have to be something older, unique and reliable like this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1559940 A great read if you have the time ...

Hey wait a minute! I just bought one of these last weekend for $300.

11110000 New Reader
1/2/09 4:41 p.m.

I'd go with a slightly newer, '94 Cadillac DeVille Concours, which seems to show up for around $3k in places. The Northstar V8 and the electronically-controlled suspension make the car feel much smaller than it is, while still giving you that cruise-ship ride quality on the highway.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LU5sRLi2LioOQxjf1swxyuDJUkRhept0X0mkmrW8RRrMgnuF8ATGnG0bOQjI063I