6/5/08 6:07 p.m.

I wonder if can add any type of car?

sound to electric cars

Scott

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/5/08 6:55 p.m.

That a mean sounding Prius!
The whole bill is stupid though, I bet a Prius with its 5k Hz switching frequency is louder on the electric motor than the average new caddy.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
6/5/08 7:33 p.m.

Add a formula one soundtrack that rises and falls with the throttle, would be pretty cool.

cwh
cwh New Reader
6/5/08 8:27 p.m.

Ahht come on,if we cant have the real thing, at least let it sound like a badass!!, come on, give us a small block with a big cam!!

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
6/5/08 9:03 p.m.

Yeah, right... that sound they're using reminds me of baseball cards on a bike. It should really be programmable with different sound settings, maybe some downloadable content...

Dial it to number 4: 2 stroke dirt bike.

Now for the commute to work, I think number 59 works: Old fashioned steam engine.

Now if we could get one of these set up with those modified power wheels...

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/6/08 8:19 a.m.

Number 32: Harley Davidson

Number 46: Ghost Busters Siren

Number 12: Electric Motor!

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
6/6/08 8:45 a.m.

37: Top Fuel Dragster

amaff
amaff Reader
6/6/08 9:25 a.m.

18: SpeedSource 3 Rotor RX8

128: F500

129: F125

toyokogyo12aturbo
toyokogyo12aturbo New Reader
6/6/08 9:56 a.m.

If this is anything like speed dial, 18 should be 1.

Also FWIW, I saw some 4cyl fiat several years ago on beyond 2000 that had a noise canceling system. State of the art at the time, but the did have the option to dub over a V8 or an F1 V12. Only worked inside the car.

amaff
amaff Reader
6/6/08 11:09 a.m.
toyokogyo12aturbo wrote: If this is anything like speed dial, 18 should be 1.

Man, I thought 1 was already taken so I just picked a somewhat random low number. Good call though!

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
6/6/08 11:15 a.m.

You know as stupid as that law sounds and as much as i would not like the see that happen i can understand what they are talking about.

I was walking out of a movie theater a while back minding my own when suddenly their was a hybrid two feet behind me with an old couple grinning at me. It was a shock that something that size could move that quietly and sneak up on me like that.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/6/08 11:26 a.m.

22: Evinrude Outboard 42: Turbocharged Miata 1.8 79: Sherman tank 121: Rolls Royce Merlin 133: Apache Turbine

Although, I really want one that will play Ride of the Valkyries!

Carson
Carson Reader
6/6/08 12:22 p.m.

Why don't they just install massive stereo systems with 30" subs that shake everything near by? That's what seems to be popular with a few folks around here.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
6/6/08 2:10 p.m.

Didn't they have laws like that when cars first came out? Something like, have someone walk in front with a lantern and a bell, to avoid scaring the horses?

How about Hemi noises and a smoke generator in the rear wheelwells for fake burnouts?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/6/08 3:35 p.m.

I had one of those on my bicycle when I was a kid. It was made by Mattel.

kellym
kellym New Reader
6/6/08 3:46 p.m.

As an avid cyclists, I would like to see some sort of sound added to electric cars, when riding in traffic I rely on engine noise etc to let me know how close the car is to me. The damn prius sneaks up on you and since the stereotypical volvo driver now owns a prius, watch out bikers because they are saving the world

RidgeRunner
RidgeRunner Dork
6/6/08 5:09 p.m.

Oooh... sound file #20: EMD 20-645 turbodiesel! (that's 20 cylinders, 645ci per cyl)

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
6/6/08 5:33 p.m.

noooo! don't add noise to the prius. it would interfere with its best use yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJX_HZ5S4g

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
6/6/08 7:09 p.m.

I was next to a Prius at the gas station a while back. When the owner started it and drove away, the silence was notable. It was the first time that I thought a Prius was cool.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/6/08 7:51 p.m.

sound number 21. ducati testastrata

1967cutlass
1967cutlass New Reader
6/6/08 8:44 p.m.

Driving an electric car would sure be weird.

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
6/6/08 11:19 p.m.

I was at my Dads house and we were working on one of his cars. My Mom came out and asked him to go pick up some stuff at the grocery store and I kept working on the car, my back was to the driveway. About 20 minutes later my Dad calls my name and makes me jump 10 feet in the air, I turn around and he's about six feet behind me in the Prius and asks me to help him carry the groceries into my Mom. I didn't hear that damn car come in the driveway!

Very good stealth factor...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
6/6/08 11:42 p.m.

I would like priuses to make a sound like the Jetsons car! And honda hybrids should sound like the Tardus from Dr Who! (which I think was actuly a not so healthy DC pump motor that was recorded for that sound effect, I've heard quite a few old elictric forklifts that sounded just like that)

egnorant
egnorant Dork
6/7/08 1:33 a.m.

http://www.funny-funny-pictures.com/insanity/

My vote!

Bruce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PtVHDr0fNGYMn3G6AhNOeZygveCMCgeFa3b581TLEXZs1qxJMitkYz2ZZuRWhHf9