element6
element6 New Reader
7/19/12 1:01 a.m.

Hey everyone. Since my car (2003 Mazdaspeed Protege) has seen the track it always has this issue with the steering.

Let me explain:

Entering a tight corner I increase steering input, this is fine but as I exit said corner my steering will be mis aligned. It will eventually get better on its own as the lap progresses and I dont do any hard cornering. The steering doesn't tighten up or anything. Maybe over stressing the rack?

Just a note it has been aligned, corner balanced recently with no problems.

I'm thinking a good fluid flush and synthetic fluids may help?

ransom
ransom SuperDork
7/19/12 1:13 a.m.

Wait, the steering wheel is actually off-center for a while post-corner?

Something very important is deforming and returning. Steering rack mount bushings, perhaps? I don't know the Protege at all well...

What I do know is that I'd be hesitant to drive the thing more than around the block 'til I find out what part of the steering or suspension is so loose or flaccid that it's getting bent/pushed out of shape by a hard corner.

I'd be really surprised if this had anything to do with fluids.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/19/12 6:38 a.m.

if it is deforming and returning.. I am going to say steering rack bushings.. metal does not generally "Eventually get better"

Argo1
Argo1 Reader
7/19/12 7:07 a.m.

I'm not familiar with that particular car but is there some type of subframe up there that holds the engine/ suspension package? That may be shifting on it's mounts. At any rate, I second the advice not to track the car until you find out what is moving!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
7/19/12 8:38 a.m.

had a P5 which did the same thing. replaced the rack bushings with corksport pieces, and all the suspension bushings with energy suspensions stuff. it went away.

id also check for bad rack, tie rod ends, worn ball joints, and structural cracks.

get a second set of eyes on it ASAP.

element6
element6 New Reader
7/19/12 8:48 a.m.

thanks for the input guys, I will definitely be doing a lot of inspecting and changing for new parts before going out again. Dusterbd13, valuable stuff, thanks I will start there.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
7/19/12 9:59 a.m.

Yep sounds like what my AE92 did when the rack bushings went bad. It wouldn't shift in every corner but I'd notice a difference after an event. If it's changing in every corner it's really bad.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/19/12 5:17 p.m.

Are you sure it is not FWD understeer. 3's are noted. for it. Just a thought

Keith
Keith MegaDork
7/19/12 5:22 p.m.

I had the exact same thing happen. One of the steering rack mounts had broken off the frame and the rack was sliding in the remaining bushing. Depending on the design of the rack mounting, it might just be bushings.

It also felt like understeer - which is exactly what it was, really.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bWSqu1629motfOm9KL0ydc1jZgMUnOKm3bHJL9OrvhO3hYjNK4RtLUWp9JH8DU0T