1 2 3
JBasham
JBasham Reader
7/13/16 8:21 a.m.

I don't like buying chests on-line because they always seem to get dented in shipment.

Over the years, I have picked up a couple of Craftsman ball-bearing units and a couple of Husky ball-bearing units. Very budget-friendly prices, and they are holding up just fine.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/13/16 8:27 a.m.

Do the Harbor Freight tool boxes smell like everything else from Harbor Freight? Because that would drive me crazy in my garage.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
7/13/16 8:59 a.m.
Woody wrote: Do the Harbor Freight tool boxes smell like everything else from Harbor Freight? Because that would drive me crazy in my garage.

I find Ode de Harbor Freight to be an enchanting musk. But no, mine doesn't.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
7/13/16 9:02 a.m.

The harbor fright odor is cheap Chinese rubber. The hose on the sandblaster nozzle I bought from there basically rotted away in a couple years.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/13/16 9:30 a.m.

What about the Costco boxes? Anyone have them?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/13/16 9:38 a.m.

Costco boxes look durable and chunky. Heavy gauge that HF or low end Craftsman.

HF does have a few good boxes.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/13/16 7:15 p.m.

The higher quality of some of the more expensive boxes is immediately obvious when you add hundreds of lbs of tool weight to the drawers.

Also, a cliffnotes way of judging toolbox quality is by weight. The heavier the better. For example, when i was shopping for 72" boxes some of the nicer stuff i was looking at weighed almost 1000lbs empty. I ended up with a box that weighs about 600lbs empty (partially because it's a little less deep, 24 vs 28 or even 32") that is still pretty dang good. But look at shipping weights. For the same size of box, generally heavier means better, and the wider the drawers are, the more it matters.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/13/16 7:44 p.m.

Pull the bottom drawer out and stand in it.

If you can close it again, it's a decent box.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GsKZwBSsMKzQsOV2xJAjaLoBsjwKbIpA7tgCq2b1RQqw2XRb4uCBHCQl3O4GpQaE