2 3 4 5
edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
10/1/15 11:52 a.m.

I for one wouldnt mind seeing what Mazda can do with direct injection technology on a rotary

kanaric
kanaric Dork
10/1/15 12:10 p.m.

I think given concept car history this is more likely to be the next IDX than the next RX8

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/1/15 12:53 p.m.
secretariata wrote: As a side note: FM should diversify and get into the FRS/BRZ market...

Flyin' Frisbee?

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
10/1/15 1:11 p.m.
NickD wrote:
Knurled wrote: I wonder how many people will be disappointed if it turns out to be a hardtop Miata with a DISI 2.3 turned up to, oh, slightly more power than the Ecoboost Mustang.
Unfortunately, Mazda said that the Miata isn't going to get a Mazdaspeed variant. They said if you wanted more power you would have to go elsewhere.

Hello? This IS elsewhere!

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
10/1/15 1:13 p.m.
Kreb wrote: I think that Mazda's shut the door on V-6s. I hope that it's either the hybrid or a nice turbo.

Mazda didn't "shut the door" per se, when they joined the Ford Group, it was decreed that the cars would use Ford V6s and Mazda I4s. So no more Mazda V6s (and no more Ford I4s).

secretariata
secretariata Dork
10/1/15 3:42 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Flyin' Frisbee?

I'd guess Frisbee is probably protected by a trademark or copyright. But "Flyin' Saucer" probably isn't...

secretariata
secretariata Dork
10/1/15 3:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We have diversified, we just added a brand new platform to our lineup for 2016

Do we have to wait until 2016 for the announcement of what platform this is?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/15 3:48 p.m.

Has to be the Toyobaru or R35 GTR, the only new cars with a big aftermarket. Undercutting the other R35 aftermarket companies would be easy and still astronomically lucrative.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/15 3:49 p.m.

I believe he was referencing the ND MX-5. Brand new platform.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/1/15 3:51 p.m.

Well that's hardly a secret and would be no surprise

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/1/15 3:59 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Kreb wrote: I think that Mazda's shut the door on V-6s. I hope that it's either the hybrid or a nice turbo.
Mazda didn't "shut the door" per se, when they joined the Ford Group, it was decreed that the cars would use Ford V6s and Mazda I4s. So no more Mazda V6s (and no more Ford I4s).

Aren't Mazda and Ford officially divorced? I'd heard that Mazda was considering an all-4 cylinder product line.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
10/1/15 4:29 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I believe he was referencing the ND MX-5. Brand new platform.

I agree that is definitely adding a new platform, but I do not consider it to be diversifying.

Edit: Maybe he already knows what the image that started this thread is and is secretly developing parts? FM Skunkworks...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/15 4:35 p.m.
Kreb wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Aren't Mazda and Ford officially divorced? I'd heard that Mazda was considering an all-4 cylinder product line.

Mazda has had an all-4-cylinder product line since the RX8 was ended.

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
10/1/15 4:38 p.m.
Kreb wrote: Aren't Mazda and Ford officially divorced? I'd heard that Mazda was considering an all-4 cylinder product line.

They kind of have to by default, since they no longer do their own V6s. Unless they wanted to design a new one, which would be sound practice (the KL is a nice engine but woefully behind the curve in 2015, if they even have the tooling for it anymore) but I don't know if they have the financial oomph to make that gamble. Especially with the trend towardd better and better fuel economy - I mean, you can buy Caddys and Mercedes with 4-cylinders, on purpose, and not feel like a cheapskate.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
10/1/15 6:47 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Kreb wrote:
Knurled wrote:

Wat?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/15 7:04 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Looks like they saw the Mumpkin hardtop and got inspired.

Thank you very much!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/15 7:10 p.m.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/1453323959226591658.jpg

Mumpkin build thread

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
10/1/15 8:51 p.m.

Thanks Keith. Keep up the good work. I'll be getting a ND as soon as (if/when) the PRHT comes out and I will need some goodies for it. Until then my trusted NC will have to do.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/15 9:18 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Kreb wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Wat?

Oh... i forgot the CX9 was even made. My mistake. That's a carryover engine, though. Ford.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/1/15 9:52 p.m.

If this concept were a production capable Miata coupe, to compete with the FRS/BRZ, it would probably have Miata based lines and proportions. But since it doesn't, I doubt it is. My best guess would be that it's an RX7 concept, aimed more at the 370Z or Corvette, as what can be seen doesn't quite look 'exotic' enough to be a GTR fighter to me concept either.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/1/15 11:46 p.m.
secretariata wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I believe he was referencing the ND MX-5. Brand new platform.
I agree that is definitely adding a new platform, but I do not consider it to be diversifying. Edit: Maybe he already knows what the image that started this thread is and is secretly developing parts? FM Skunkworks...

You guys think Mazda tells us anything? Seriously.

The ND is an all-new platform. This has increased our coverage by 33%, including the number of products we need to develop and stock as well as the increased support load. This is non-trivial. Our development team is maxed out as it is. Adding some random vehicle (S2000, BRZ, 370Z, Protege, whatever) would hurt our ability to do business the way we want to do business.

The ND will (hopefully) be purchased by a different demographic than those who purchased the NC. This is a diversification, despite the fact that someone glued the same badge on the nose.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/15 5:39 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Sounds like you need to expand your development team! It's a nice problem to have.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
10/2/15 8:06 a.m.

A BMW Z4 fighter would be cool

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/2/15 10:00 a.m.
Coldsnap wrote: looks expensive

This. Sort of like looking at Christy Brinkley, that's about all that'll happen, until she's worn out and come down in value. The car I mean.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/2/15 12:45 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Sounds like you need to expand your development team! It's a nice problem to have.

We hired someone this week, actually. But we're still understaffed and relying on youthful enthusiasm as an endless resource.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jZAwVTGj8kCEMjZLVEAAzLCWJvnfwToXqB1whl79vcm7N9dl3vPkJcFhviyodKKr