aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/3/13 8:09 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
aussiesmg wrote:
CLynn85 wrote: Looks like I'm the only one not getting one
No you're not, the joys of being self employed
Yep, but it's worth it.

Most assuredly it is worth it.

The only dumbarse I answer to is the one in the mirror, and he thinks kinda like me most days

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/3/13 8:30 p.m.
slopecarver wrote: fully fund my 2012 roth ira (I filed it as being fully funded then used my return to fully fund it)

you do know that if it's a Roth, you don't have to file it at all ? you're not taking a tax break for it ... it's taxed money that then grows tax free ...

now a traditional IRA is tax deferred and you would take a tax break for your contribution

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/3/13 8:37 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
If you do it right you shouldn't be getting one. I'm surprised when people are happy about getting one, you have loaned the government your money for free.

that's always been the critique of those of us that get returns ... but even if I were to figure it to near zero +/- ... whatever ... I wouldn't really notice the increase in the pay check ( at least not after the first few) ... so the extra (assuming I didn't NEED the extra to get by) would just get pissed away with nothing much to show for it ... but by getting a return I do have the benefit of a "forced" savings program ( albeit interest free) .. but still a lump sum that I wouldn't have otherwise .... that is, assuming I wasn't disciplined enough to save the "extra" each paycheck ... and knowing myself as I do, then that's the way it would be

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/3/13 10:06 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
If you do it right you shouldn't be getting one. I'm surprised when people are happy about getting one, you have loaned the government your money for free.
that's always been the critique of those of us that get returns ... but even if I were to figure it to near zero +/- ... whatever ... I wouldn't really notice the increase in the pay check ( at least not after the first few) ... so the extra (assuming I didn't NEED the extra to get by) would just get pissed away with nothing much to show for it ... but by getting a return I do have the benefit of a "forced" savings program ( albeit interest free) .. but still a lump sum that I wouldn't have otherwise .... that is, assuming I wasn't disciplined enough to save the "extra" each paycheck ... and knowing myself as I do, then that's the way it would be

Its called a Christmas Club Savings account Walter

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
3/3/13 11:10 p.m.

What I want to buy: ITBs (Hilborn/Electramotive) for the 98 ACR and put it on my 2.6 bottom end, a DA Koni Rebuild, or a set of AMR Coilovers.

What I'll end up buying: New Star Specs, New Brakes, new Bell M4, and maybe a Gopro.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/4/13 6:54 a.m.

Thinking I'll at least replace all the suspension bushings w/ new Prothane ones. But while they're doing that, might as well get all new shocks/struts. And at that point, maybe.......

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
3/4/13 7:02 a.m.

We probably owe two or three or four nice clean NA miatas worth. Hard to complain. It's been a very good year.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/4/13 8:02 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

Yeah, I wish I didn't owe $1K.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/4/13 8:37 a.m.

I doubt I will get much of one but whatever I get is getting saved cause this year is going to be expensive.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/4/13 8:54 a.m.

a project S10 roller, or a metal lathe, or a welder, or a ticket to another dimension where the script to Idiocracy isnt eerily similar to reality.

In truth, its going into savings to finance our new house

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/4/13 8:54 a.m.

Probably wedding stuff. If I'm lucky Miata/Cherokee/F150 parts.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/4/13 9:17 a.m.

SWMBO is getting about a grand. I owe Federal 33 bucks, State is paying about 150, and I owe the city about 500 bucks because I don't work where I live... Ohio taxes suck.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/4/13 9:45 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Wedding stuff. Oh yeah, I have rings to buy soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/4/13 12:13 p.m.

I haven't got one since '99 or so.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
3/4/13 4:25 p.m.

I already spent a portion of mine on lowering springs and camber/caster plates for my Mustang. The other portion was going into my bank account, but now it's going towards a new clutch and radiator for the Eclipse.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
3/4/13 7:00 p.m.

Flyin Miata Stage 2 suspension just arrived. And an absurd employee discount got me some 17x9 TR Motorsport C3's for my new to me NC.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
3/4/13 8:38 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I already spent a portion of mine on lowering springs and camber/caster plates for my Mustang. The other portion was going into my bank account, but now it's going towards a new clutch and radiator for the Eclipse.

So effin' jealous! I want to buy parts for the Mustang so bad.

But it's hard to justify with the Miata track rat.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider New Reader
3/4/13 9:14 p.m.

ha ha. I have to write the check for $158 It would have been more but I had to put a new roof on the house and got the energy savings credit. I got pushed into a higher tax bracket this year.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
3/4/13 9:16 p.m.

15x9 6ULs in bronze with A6s in 225/45/15.

I think I'm going to have to settle for 15x9 C3Ms in grey with Z214 C71s in 225/45/15. It won't kill me, and it's 250% better than what's under there now.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
3/5/13 6:01 a.m.

Mine went to debt. I adjusted withholding AGAIN to make sure I get close to zero next year.

I would have liked a newer truck and we might be able to pull it off next year. I'm thinking 4-door Z71 or LTZ Tahoe ('08 or newer).

failboat
failboat SuperDork
3/5/13 7:04 a.m.

When I was younger I would always have something planned to spend that money on, and it usually wasn't paying off debt. Something for the car.

I think we are going to pay off the new sliding door we financed last year, maybe wipe out a credit card too, save the rest for house projects this year. I was just thinking yesterday how we could pay off the rest of my car with it but that loan is lower interest than some of the other stuff.

we kind of like our withholding the way it is now, to get that big fat check every spring.

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
3/5/13 10:55 a.m.

My tax return wish list would be not to owe money...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
3/5/13 11:34 a.m.
noddaz wrote: My tax return wish list would be not to owe money...

Seriously this. I went quarterly just to keep myself from owing massive amounts right when property taxes are due as well.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/5/13 12:21 p.m.

If I get a refund, it'll likely go to replenishing our emergency fund. We used about a third of it for unanticipated adoption expenses. Hopefully, most of the adoption expenses will be reimbursed next year, and THAT would be the mother lode...

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/5/13 12:43 p.m.

Garage stuff. Fluorescent fixtures, wire, attic ladder, drywall...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
75t8koFJgGJs3oMMoSQLp2lhaj4ZpXICEm8vIIpbt10pT6G1IdiYGXyQcQpHb0eG