1 2 3
snipes
snipes New Reader
4/8/09 4:34 p.m.

Wow that is Ugly! My car is much better (it would look even better with the JDM bumpers). I hope the new coupe is good looking.

P71
P71 Dork
4/8/09 4:36 p.m.

Now THAT ^^^ is a good looking Legacy! I love those!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/8/09 4:53 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: The way I see it, good looking Subarus are the anomaly.

Agreed.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
4/8/09 4:59 p.m.

I think the issue with Subaru is that they've moved from making, tough purposeful cars. Much like Jeep, or Land Rover. No Subaru is trying to compete with other mainstream manufacturers, by emulating other mainstream vehicles. When in actual fact, the reason they've gotten where they are was due to being completely different. just like Jeep (used to, though ChryCo all but ruined that) Land Rover still is as useful as ever, but they are more modern as well.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
4/8/09 5:14 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: I think the issue with Subaru is that they've moved from making, tough purposeful cars. Much like Jeep, or Land Rover. No Subaru is trying to compete with other mainstream manufacturers, by emulating other mainstream vehicles. When in actual fact, the reason they've gotten where they are was due to being completely different. just like Jeep (used to, though ChryCo all but ruined that) Land Rover still is as useful as ever, but they are more modern as well.

I kind of agree with this. They went from a niche manufacturer who made EXCELLENT cars for those of us that actually NEED awd, to trying to become a mainstream manufacturer, and have lost what made them special and desirable.

I say they jumped the shark with the Forester. I know it's loved by many here, but that car spelled the end for Subaru: for years they had ragged on SUVs, and how the Outback was superior to an SUV in every way (and it is)... then they release an SUV! Then they release that hideous monstrosity called the Tribecca... then they try to "broaden the market" for the WRX...

[shakes head in disgust]

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
4/8/09 5:36 p.m.

So is it Kia, Scion, and the other "cheap" brands that will take over the "looks being utilitarian" type styling?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/8/09 5:39 p.m.

Meh.. Looks don't matter to me, how's it drive?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
4/8/09 5:58 p.m.

Well, it's not THE ugliest new family sedan (that would be the new Mazda 6) but it's damn close. The new WRXs are ugly as sin, uglier than the previous "horseshoe" grille ones, and that's saying something.

Shame they did that to the LGT, it was a beautiful car (much like the white one above).

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
4/8/09 5:59 p.m.

Before I got my MINI in 2006, I seriously considered a Spec-B Legacy. That car had much going for it and just needed a little less weight and a few more MPG. The new Impreza isn't so bad (to me) and seems to autocross pretty well, but that new Legacy is just an abortion.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
4/8/09 6:47 p.m.

I think the new mazdas look worse than the new subarus

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
4/9/09 1:26 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Shame they did that to the LGT, it was a beautiful car (much like the white one above).

When I first saw LGT I thought you meant lesbian gay transgender... indeed, they took quite a hit with the redesign.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
4/9/09 2:02 a.m.
P71 wrote: That's it Subaru, I am no longer a fan. You now officially suck.

I was there two years ago. The Legacy has been dead for me since the wagon was axed, and I've been talking the Impreza back into my heart since the Bugeye dropped.

/vp, wishing for frameless windows and true base models again.

Brust
Brust New Reader
4/9/09 2:27 a.m.

I don't think many people buy subaru's because they are good looking. I bought mine in '02 because it was a badass compact wagon. Who was making those then? Who made a car in '02 that could 0-60 in 6 and carry a family + camping gear (and get 25 mpg combined)? That's why I love this company. I really wish they hadn't dumbed down the Forester to an SUV. The sport of 07-08 was great and the sporty dynamics of the '04 were spectactular.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/9/09 3:07 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: lesbian gay transgender... indeed, they took quite a hit with the redesign.

Nope. They still look the same.

Besides, everyone knows Subaru went down hill after the demise of the Brat.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/9/09 5:30 a.m.

I passed a dealership yesterday and saw the latest Outback Sport: Good gawd, that's hideous. The 2 tone simply does not work on this car.

It was funny to read some of you criticize both the Forester and Subaru's departure from utilitarian, because the Foz (up until the recent restyle) was the only car that retained the flavor of the old boxy GL wagons. We bought it because it does tasks we need it to do, not because it looks like an SUV. The smart among us know it's just a car with a SUV body.

I looked pretty closely at the new Imprezas this year. I find the 'wagon' stupid and no more practical than the sedan. I see no reason to put up with it's ugly butt for the truly mediocre difference in cargo carrying ability. The sedan, for the price, is a fairly nice car.

The last gen Legacy was the best ever. And then they dropped the wagon version. Gee, thanks.

They've ruined the Forester for us old school types. The new one is too soft, boring and CRV-like. We may upgrade eventually from our SF to the SG, but neither of us could see buying the current version. It's really strayed from the path.

I can only hope that Subaru repeats it's prior history by uglifying a model and then cleaning it up a couple years later. That seemed to be their system for awhile. I still appreciate the engineering and drivetrain quirkiness but for my own garage it will become more and more difficult to resist the pull of other brands.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
4/9/09 5:52 a.m.

I like the cars (we had an '02 WRX), but the styling (and the print ads) were never the reason.

You have to read the ad copy below and just wonder who wrote it...........

Luke
Luke Dork
4/9/09 6:06 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: You have to read the ad copy below and just wonder who wrote it...........

Possibly the same guy who writes the dirty stories in adult magazines.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
4/9/09 6:23 a.m.
mtn wrote: Subaru has never had a car that was that good looking; I actually like the new WRX.

Umm I beg to disagree...

This:

doesnt look bad at all, its what got me on the bandwagon in the first place.

And with a little help, it can become this:

MUUUCCHHH better than this turd:

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
4/9/09 7:39 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: MUUUCCHHH better than this turd:

That Picture is the best looking pic of the new WRX!! ... Looks just like the LGT that eveyone seems to think is drop dead sexy!

I agree with earlier posts .... in two or three years we'll complain that the new subarus look waaay worse then the '06.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/9/09 7:49 a.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: MUUUCCHHH better than this turd:
That Picture is the best looking pic of the new WRX!! ... Looks just like the LGT that eveyone seems to think is drop dead sexy! I agree with earlier posts .... in two or three years we'll complain that the new subarus look waaay worse then the '06.

I agree. this car isn't really that bad at all. now I hope used values on the LGT don't go up

Duke
Duke Dork
4/9/09 7:58 a.m.
ignorant wrote: I agree. this car isn't really that bad at all. now I hope used values on the LGT don't go up

Except it's HUGE, and slab-sided, and fairly flaccid-looking.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/9/09 8:18 a.m.
Duke wrote:
ignorant wrote: I agree. this car isn't really that bad at all. now I hope used values on the LGT don't go up
Except it's HUGE, and slab-sided, and fairly flaccid-looking.

should have emphasized , Not that bad.. It really could be worse.

Duke
Duke Dork
4/9/09 8:39 a.m.

I agree it works much better as a sedan than as a 5-door. But that was one thing that made the previous generations so much better - it was great either way.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
4/9/09 8:40 a.m.

this POS

looks like a corolla with a hood scoop to me

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
4/9/09 8:59 a.m.

This was at the Autocross this past weekend:

A B-Spec with a BOV and lots more work. Awesome!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qYAxg5gyK37PELFkvQKaM7CoMuZebGKtKPvFnsvXqnI5HaBMDhAQxvsnJR1IB0sI