2 3 4
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/19/12 2:29 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: I can see this event being the beginning of a legend. "Man those FR-S handled so driftastically that people were pretty much crashing them on the way home from the dealerships!" and "You have to be Ken Block to drive this thing without traction control!"

That is good stuff right there.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/19/12 2:45 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

Bah, Ken Block... Guy crashes WRC cars like it's going out of style.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
6/19/12 2:57 p.m.
alex wrote:
DuctTape&Bondo wrote:
Strizzo wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Quite the drama queen ain't he? That whole thing could be reduced down to "DOH! I berkeleyed up and hit a pole with my FR-S".
I enjoyed the subtle blaming of RWD.
Seriously, who didn't see that coming? Happened when the s2000 came out too.
Turns traction nannies off. Crashes. Oh noes, why aren't there nannies?!? RWD needs banned!
...but who said that? The kid owned up. He said his lack of experience with RWD caused the wreck, not RWD itself. He drove it like FWD, but the end that broke loose wasn't the one he was expecting. My first wreck was a pretty good one, also in my first RWD car. I stomped on it and got caught out in a way I wasn't expecting. Pretty much the same thing happened as this story, though in my case, I found a deep ditch instead of a telephone pole.

More towards the commentary on fwd people crashing s2ks and people not being able to control their cars without traction, although the kid's post quoted does have a "I was going slow, I've done this before, I can't believe it happened!" lean to it. I do give him props for owning up to it as a whole, the apologizing for letting forums down was a bit much, though.

I wrecked my first car (yes rwd) being an idiot as well, I never blamed anything other than my inexperience and retardedness and sure as hell didn't go apologizing to any forum. It was an expensive lesson, it sucked, I lived, nobody got hurt, I paid for it and am a little smarter because of it.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/19/12 3:15 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: My 8yo was complaining that every time he tried to slide the gokart it would shut off because the low oil switch would cut in.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Toyman01 wrote: It was promptly disconnected. His slides are getting better.

Hmm, perhaps I do!

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/19/12 3:41 p.m.

Isn't it hard to believe that the whole FRS bubble has burst because a dude smushed up the front end of one?

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/19/12 3:53 p.m.

I don't think he's an idiot at all, he made a mistake – as many of us have. Wasn't the car's fault though. Hell, I drove the thing all over Montreal during the student riots without smucking any posts - have you ever driven in Montreal? Made me curse that it had a stick.
Yep, you could feel the tail step out on track - I think that's the point of the car. If you tell it you want to play, it believes you.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
6/19/12 4:45 p.m.

My take is that the FRS has a more oversteer happy suspension because they figure Toyota owners are morons who can't drive, whereas Subaru owners know how to utilize proper trail braking and other weight-transfer shenaniganry, so they tune the suspension to be faster. (You're faster if you brake deeper into a corner, can start accelerating sooner, right?)

smog7
smog7 Dork
6/19/12 4:47 p.m.

bound to happen sooner or later... E36 M3 happens!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
6/19/12 5:25 p.m.

Stupid son of a bitch, hahaha

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/19/12 5:30 p.m.

I admit.. I learned to drive on RWD cars.. and one of the worst for snap oversteer.. the ACVW. After 10 years of driving FWD.. I went back to RWD with the Ti. Within a month, I had a tankslapper that put me backwards into somebody's yard. Thankfully there was not even a kerb to hit

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
6/19/12 6:14 p.m.
forzav12 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Did I miss somthing? Is this car the second coming or something?
only if you grew up driving beater Civics and Corollas.

LOL Nope RWD American muscle cars as a kid. Then I discovered the spinning triangles. Then all the Porsche / German. I am still in that phase at the moment.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
6/19/12 6:16 p.m.

Ever notice that it is always the car that has an accident. It is never the driver that has an accident while driving the car.

I will stop now I could go on a 2 page rant about kids and responsibility and driving entitlement and Bla Bla Bla. . . ..

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/19/12 7:33 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
forzav12 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Did I miss somthing? Is this car the second coming or something?
only if you grew up driving beater Civics and Corollas.
LOL Nope RWD American muscle cars as a kid. Then I discovered the spinning triangles. Then all the Porsche / German. I am still in that phase at the moment.

I like to keep examples of each on hand(plus, the fiery eye-tal-yuns)-keeps me grounded.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/19/12 7:53 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Ever notice that it is always the car that has an accident. It is never the driver that has an accident while driving the car.

"A meteorite hitting your car is an accident; anything else is driver error."

don't know who said it first. I first saw it here at GRM.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/19/12 8:00 p.m.

I have nothing nice to say other than glad the guy and passenger wasn't hurt.

Some of that letter, if not written to be sarcastic or humorous is pretty sad.

CarRamRod
CarRamRod New Reader
6/19/12 8:10 p.m.

In reply to JohnyHachi6:

Honda went the same way with S2000 (although I wouldn't call the later ones understeer machines) and I expect Toyota to do the same. Different spring rates and sway bars every couple of years me thinks.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
6/19/12 9:49 p.m.

I'm also reminded of the Audi TT that not only got the production models changed, but the models on the street were recalled.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
6/19/12 10:13 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: "A meteorite hitting your car is an accident; anything else is driver error." don't know who said it first. I first saw it here at GRM.

Um. Kinda.

When I was a kid, I went around a corner I drove every day going nice and slow. Back end of the car shot out and I quickly counter-steered. Wound up off the side of the road having just grazed a telephone pole - just enough to scuff the paint. Really lucky.

After calming down, I looked at the road. There was literally grease- like something you'd cook food in- all over the road in that corner. I was lucky, but I did call the local police once I got to work and reported it. When I went home later, there was oil-dry on the street there, so they must have checked it out.

All I can figure is a truck went through there with some containers of grease of some kind and when he went around the corner some sloshed out. I have no other way to explain it. I just remember being really, really glad I didn't wreck my car and amazed that I got the wheel turned that quickly. Probably would have kept it on the road if I'd done it more gently, but I didn't spin into the pole, so I was happy.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
6/19/12 10:36 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Ever notice that it is always the car that has an accident. It is never the driver that has an accident while driving the car. I will stop now I could go on a 2 page rant about kids and responsibility and driving entitlement and Bla Bla Bla. . . ..

and the lawns they need to get off of, don't forget those!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/20/12 6:17 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Ever notice that it is always the car that has an accident. It is never the driver that has an accident while driving the car.
"A meteorite hitting your car is an accident; anything else is driver error." don't know who said it first. I first saw it here at GRM.

As a cop I saw many unavoidable accidents, most were driver error but I have to say far, far from all.

Which is why the failure to control citation is a farce.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette HalfDork
6/20/12 7:02 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
"A meteorite hitting your car is an accident; anything else is driver error." don't know who said it first. I first saw it here at GRM.

I may not have been the first but I say that often enough. I teach DE.

When I got my Vette I was coming from years of FWD VWs. Spun it a ton--at autocrosses. I made sure to avoid any sort of hoonage on the street as I knew it would be problematic. Now I'm back to a Gti for the autocrosses and the track. I use a 02 Jetta wagon 1.8t with tiptronic for DE privately. We have a Legacy sedan at the high school where I teach.

Interestingly I took a student out yesterday who has had a lot of experience on 4 wheelers. Was a very good first student. Father was also building a "group B" Capri for hillclimbing and rally. Some parents do know how to drive . And, some know how to teach it. Not most however.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9VJjUTKXkkNrO1mRVvpDjWEA90JOjO5uXC4paG1cswFy2Ghw5bnNvPgh9OnvqDZT