integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/8/11 3:14 p.m.

i picked up the latest issue of EVO this afternoon and scanned it for tidbits. Latest news on the M3 is that BMW has pretty much ruled out V8 or inline 4 cylinder power. Whether the engine in the next M3 will have 2 or 3 turbos seems to be the unknown. There is also speculation that the next M3 will be available as a coupe and as a 4 door sedan.

Expect to see the car in European showrooms about a year from now, in the 'states? Perhaps 18-24 months.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/8/11 3:34 p.m.

Last rumor I saw was it would be a smaller/lighter car than the E92 and be powered by a turbo V6 (yeah, V6).

Curious why you bring up that it would be available as coupe and sedan... haven't all M3s except for the E30 been offered as both?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/8/11 3:38 p.m.

E46 M3 was couple/convertible only, no 4drs.

So 50/50 thus far.

sponge
sponge New Reader
12/8/11 4:10 p.m.

Lets hope for twins as the current car may make the HPs, but it don't make the torque down low.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
12/8/11 5:31 p.m.
sponge wrote: Lets hope for twins as the current car may make the HPs, but it don't make the torque down low.

QFT!!

Awesome HP but the TQ is rather weak until 4kish RPM even then it isn't that much.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/9/11 5:35 a.m.

Found another source yesterday, with pretty much the same info. Car will have a 6 cylinder engine with 2 or 3 turbos, as a result, more horsepower and I would guess more torque. Neither source mentions a V6 engine.

Oh, yeah, car is also expected to be (slightly?) smaller/lighter than the one it replaces.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
12/9/11 6:09 a.m.

I doubt it will be a V6. While BMW has been cutting their teeth on the V8.. the I6 is too much a part of their design philosophy. Most likely it is a bunch of people who have only ever heard of a V6 regurgitating what they thought they heard

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0XAmRVlUDFGKPtLzqyesYWryQ24UnfO1ocaGjtgTXhhEcLyL9UGsBZtCs9P6IcpH