1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/16/21 9:18 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/postalconversions/

I know it's only meant for stop and go 10 mph driving, but.... ouch. I hope they disable the passenger side airbag first.

I'm not sure which is the scariest part... misspelling pedals, the gmail address focused on detailing?, the flat rate pricing, the seemingly arbitrary list of cars they don't do, the option for "peddles" without steering or steering without pedals, the bragging about how quickly they can do it, etc.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
7/16/21 9:46 a.m.

I can barely assess a project in 4-5 hours let alone convert to RHD.

Wow. Either that guy is VERY good, or VERY scary. Or both.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/21 9:49 a.m.

How hard can it be? Command A, command C, command V. 

Tom Suddard
7/16/21 9:52 a.m.

I also just noticed the guarantee of all NEW steel and bolts....

As opposed to????

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/16/21 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

That may be a reflection of the RHD conversion industry. I am assuming it's for minimum cost vehicles used for contracted rural postal delivery.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/16/21 10:00 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That may be a reflection of the RHD conversion industry. I am assuming it's for minimum cost rural postal delivery.

Heh.  I have this sudden image of someone buying a Japanese import R32 to deliver mail. :)

Tom Suddard
7/16/21 10:04 a.m.

Yeah, that's actually a thing! Not R32s, but a fair number of rural carriers will buy stuff from places like Duncan imports because they come pre-converted.

I bet rural carriers miss the days when every car came with a big bench seat.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/16/21 10:14 a.m.

They must have a bunch of broken Pole Position games sitting around and want to monetize the wheels from them

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/16/21 10:42 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yeah, that's actually a thing! Not R32s, but a fair number of rural carriers will buy stuff from places like Duncan imports because they come pre-converted.

I actually met someone who had imported a Japanese Jeep Cherokee XJ just for their mail routes.

Even funnier is that Japan has a serious Jeep fanbase there- but the 4.0L engine because of their "Luxury car" laws is considered huge and is in the highest tax bracket. A Jeep XJ. Luxury.

David S. Wallens
7/16/21 10:45 a.m.

So, how about a Canadian dealer that specializes in RHD cars?  

Probably not practical for rural mail delivery, but the RHD BMW Z1 is pretty sweet. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
7/16/21 10:48 a.m.

Those rigs were very common when I took driver's ED in the 80s. Our school had at least 2 cars with rigs like that installed. 

I also see rural mail carriers with similar rigs. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/16/21 11:01 a.m.

Driver's ed brake pedals are much cheaper and install easily. A throttle pedal should be cake to fab with a bicycle brake cable. Steer with your left hand. if you're going less than 10mph anyway I don't see the issue. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/16/21 11:04 a.m.

^I was hoping to see that when I did driver's ed in 1995 but alas the instructor only had his own brake pedal that was attached to the main one with a rod.

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/16/21 11:08 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

How hard can it be? Command A, command C, command V. 

Lmao. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/16/21 11:20 a.m.

The rural carrier that delivers to a friend's shop local to me

David S. Wallens
7/16/21 11:30 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

^I was hoping to see that when I did driver's ed in 1995 but alas the instructor only had his own brake pedal that was attached to the main one with a rod.

Same. Our driver's ed car just had a brake for the instructor. 

We had Cutlass Supremes. Two-door Cutlass Supremes. Three students per car. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/16/21 11:40 a.m.

I teach DE. I've never been in a position where having a wheel on my side was necessary. That being said I love my passenger side brake!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/16/21 11:56 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/16/21 12:04 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

I teach DE. I've never been in a position where having a wheel on my side was necessary. That being said I love my passenger side brake!

I concur 100%. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/16/21 2:09 p.m.

It is pretty common for rural mail delivery people.  In the old days when cars had bench seats they could just slide over and run the pedals with their other foot, but since virtually all cars come with buckets and a console they had to adapt somehow.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/16/21 2:23 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

That may be a reflection of the RHD conversion industry. I am assuming it's for minimum cost rural postal delivery.

Heh.  I have this sudden image of someone buying a Japanese import R32 to deliver mail. :)

Back in the late 90's before the WRX came here C&D reviewed an imported RHD WRX wagon that was used for mail delivery somewhere out West.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/16/21 2:53 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

It is pretty common for rural mail delivery people.  In the old days when cars had bench seats they could just slide over and run the pedals with their other foot,

How romantic.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/16/21 4:37 p.m.

I would do this to a kids first car just to mess with them.  

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/16/21 5:01 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Exactly this!  The end Cherokee's are a perennial favorite for them out in the sticks as they have to provide their own vehicle and they get reimbursed.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
7/16/21 5:28 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

The local JDM importer had this lineup along the back of their lot.  I asked if they were prepping for a small coup.  He laughed, and said "Nope, just keeping the rural route carriers in vehicles."  None were R32's.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w8VESKpEnZmx3xVD0E9KuzVI3BGB24EZVQ5knZx3NJrIwudYvUfOnsGrP5JRrLjq