Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/24 4:31 p.m.

I saw two orphan car makes parked next to each other

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/16/24 6:51 p.m.

I believe there is one of these living somewhere near me:

The one I saw is bright red, almost like McLaren red. Ive seen it twice this week, both just quick glances. Very unusual looking car IRL

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
6/16/24 7:01 p.m.

I saw this Jellybean Taurus wagon at Walmart today. Super clean. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/16/24 9:49 p.m.

I was up in Michigan for a few days and spotted some forbidden orange fruit.

There was a boring colored german station wagon too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/17/24 2:21 p.m.

Another oddball GM 2 seater at the gas station this morning.

preach
preach UltraDork
6/17/24 4:41 p.m.

Driving so no pics but I saw an MGA towing a very small trailer on the way home today. So sexy!

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
6/20/24 12:10 a.m.

Saw this a few days ago. I got behind him in traffic but could not get any side view at all. Obviously, a round taillight BMW 2002 (through 1973), but is it a factory convertible? Fifty foot chop job? Nicely crafted chop top? The roll bar looks pretty old school and not very functional, but at least it is there.

The factory convertible 2002s are really rare and I don't think they have roll bars. Plus, I wouldn't expect that rare/collectible a car to be in this level of patined 'daily driver' condition.

If you're local to me, you'll notice stickers from two of my favorite craft breweries and a trunk sticker for a band a friend plays in. So, I'll see if I can research the car more.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/20/24 6:10 a.m.

^Colorado plates with a Grateful Dead tag frame makes me think he took a sawzall to it after some devil's lettuce. Looks like whoever did it did a decent job.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/20/24 8:23 a.m.

my guess would be a tree branch or something fell on it and he made the best of it. 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
6/20/24 12:32 p.m.

Maybe the top rusted off?

Rons
Rons Dork
6/20/24 12:41 p.m.
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) said:

I believe there is one of these living somewhere near me:

The one I saw is bright red, almost like McLaren red. Ive seen it twice this week, both just quick glances. Very unusual looking car IRL

Dime a dozen compared to the GT40 in the background.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/20/24 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

I wonder if it's this car or a replica:

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/26887/lot/79/1967-ford-gt40-mk-iv-chassis-no-j-9/

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/24 3:03 p.m.

The first and last of the all wheel drive 4G63 turbos.

One's a 18 year old daily driver, the other's a 34 year old barn find that hit the road for the first time today.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/24 5:42 p.m.

Seriously, cars are just not this cool anymore.

Remember when any one of these four things were Something Special?  DOHC was only for high performance models, 16v was only for high performance models, turbos very much for high performance models, and AWD was a rarity, even the majority of Subarus were front wheel drive.

For reference, when this car was made, the Ford Escrot Cosworth wasn't even conceptualized yet, Cossies were rear drive Sierras. (XR4Ti with a DOHC head on a turbo Pinto engine)  Subaru just came out with the Legacy, and while they did make a four cam model it was only for the home market.  The 323GTX existed, briefly, and it was really really fragile.

seeker589
seeker589 Reader
6/20/24 6:43 p.m.

Just an observation from an observer - I observe this thread is less about Unicorns and more about "just cool cars we don't see everyday." 

Carry on.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/24 6:51 p.m.

In reply to seeker589 :

I literally have not seen a DSM in forever, they're gone gone gone.

Evo IXs are a one year only model and probably most of them got stripped to turn into time attack cars or something. 

And that was the first XLR that I had ever seen.  It's a neat idea but I don't think they really had an idea of who would buy one. Mercedes seems to have that market locked up and they sell in very small numbers.

It is a little tricky to decide if one should curate a vehicle in the Sightings or the Unicorn thread.  Certainly there's a lot of crossover.  Personally, rarity and stockness belong in Unicorn.  Modified cars are just cars.

seeker589
seeker589 Reader
6/20/24 7:03 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to seeker589 :

I literally have not seen a DSM in forever, they're gone gone gone.

Evo IXs are a one year only model and probably most of them got stripped to turn into time attack cars or something. 

And that was the first XLR that I had ever seen.  It's a neat idea but I don't think they really had an idea of who would buy one. Mercedes seems to have that market locked up and they sell in very small numbers.

It is a little tricky to decide if one should curate a vehicle in the Sightings or the Unicorn thread.  Certainly there's a lot of crossover.  Personally, rarity and stockness belong in Unicorn.  Modified cars are just cars.

Fair enough.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/20/24 7:26 p.m.

Seen in Whitby, ON. First time I've seen a Kei truck on the street in Canada, and probably the first time I've seen a Mazda Scrum:

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/20/24 9:12 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I thought the Galant VR4 was the first?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/24 9:18 p.m.
buzzboy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I thought the Galant VR4 was the first?

So what you are telling me is that I need to find a GVR4.

Fine....

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/21/24 8:07 a.m.

Evo Zero is best evo

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/24 10:24 a.m.

Pass this this morning on I96 west bound leaving the Metro Detroit area in our way to the Kart track

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/22/24 12:29 p.m.

I'm not a Ferrari guy so I can't ID this one. But seeing one shop at Dollar General seemed fitting

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/22/24 4:16 p.m.

There was a guy out today driving around in a Mini Moke.  First time I've ever seen one on the street actually being used.

Shadeux
Shadeux SuperDork
6/22/24 4:27 p.m.

I saw a late model Mini Cooper that had a convertible top-delete, with a fat rollbar, and kind of a Jeep string-bikini top. No exhaust sound, but it did have AM wheels.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rnyaTSbteeGZC3vkOFnOIpPA8tnPLOEQtaA44Qv5QB0vGothaubZWEXOTy3pab2l