novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/20/14 7:56 p.m.

i was out for a little sunday drive today, and i stumbled across this:

at a used car lot and thought "i could make a race car out of this".. it's a solid little 1980 Dodge Colt that i know for a fact that has been sitting in this spot for at least 5 years but maybe closer to 10 since i think i remember it sitting there when i lived in the area before. the writing on the windshield says $995, but i bet a guy could drag it out for scrap price..

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/20/14 8:07 p.m.

You could make all the race cars out of that. Puerto rican drag, auto x monster, rally x- you name it!

btabacchi
btabacchi Reader
7/20/14 8:23 p.m.

I gots a very close relative to that in the driveway.

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/pylnrcr/media/4-2B6AB362-1264039-800.jpg.html][/URL]

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/20/14 8:27 p.m.

that's a used-car lot? I'm guessing it doesn't get much business...

Spitsix
Spitsix Reader
7/20/14 9:08 p.m.

Do I remember that some of the Colts have the 2 speed rear end?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/20/14 9:10 p.m.

He may want more. I think it is holding up the garage.

btabacchi
btabacchi Reader
7/20/14 10:05 p.m.
Spitsix wrote: Do I remember that some of the Colts have the 2 speed rear end?

Close. This generation of the Colt/Champ siblings are front wheel drive, some had an option for a Hi/Lo range selection along with the 4-speed tranny so in effect you have 8 forward gear ratios and 2 for reverse. My Champ has the option. Shifting while reversing is always fun.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/20/14 10:25 p.m.
btabacchi wrote:
Spitsix wrote: Do I remember that some of the Colts have the 2 speed rear end?
Close. This generation of the Colt/Champ siblings are front wheel drive, some had an option for a Hi/Lo range selection along with the 4-speed tranny so in effect you have 8 forward gear ratios and 2 for reverse. My Champ has the option. Shifting while reversing is always fun.

so that's what that lever next to the shifter was for... one of my friends had a couple of these back in the 90/91 time frame, and i remembered the lever but not what it did..

and, yes, it was at a used car lot.. a lot with about 10 cars sitting on it that all look like they haven't moved for the better part of a decade.. there is an Isuzu something or other that looks like a slightly bigger Suzuki Samurai that has 20" wheels on it that i know for a fact has been sitting in the same spot for at least a decade..

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/20/14 10:38 p.m.

just for fun, here's the overhead view of this used car lot snipped from google maps:

the Colt is right next to the building, the white blob out by itself is the Isuzu thing, and lined up is an assortment of rusted out late 80's/early 90's GM S series Blazers, full size pickups, and even a Suburban- all with prices over $2k written on the windows in very weathered white shoe polish..

the google street view from the highway looks slightly more impressive, and i think more favorable to the demographics of this board:

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/20/14 10:44 p.m.

i wonder if the geniuses at google are impressed that their mapping technology is being used to show pics like these?

solfly
solfly Reader
7/21/14 9:11 p.m.

Isuzu Amigo. It's fun for a boy or a girl.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lURsp1XidWct1TIbjDRs7pQDj0CpzycTE0EWf6hYYO2ckRr7QIqQ8gOvOZrdkjsf