3 4 5
darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/9/11 5:48 p.m.

I have to admit, both the Milano and M3, and nearly any other 4 cyl powered car sound better than an XR4TI. It's just an unfortunate truth that short of a 16v Folvo conversion, any 2.3 Lima powered Ford sounds like a freaking tractor. Sure, with a good cam and a turbo it will sound like a really angry whistling whooshing tractor, but still a tractor. Want proof... just check exhaust clips on youtube.

BTW, I'm now actively trying to dissuade you from getting an XR. You don't really want one... they're an oddity that will just drag you down. And prices are already on the rise for decent drivers. Besides, we don't need more folks that might actually appreciate them getting involved. We'd rather have the neophytes and dilettantes buy them, get in over their heads with mods and basic maintenance problems, and then sell 'em cheap to the rest of us. You're not a dilettante, are you?

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/9/11 6:17 p.m.
m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
9/9/11 6:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Travis_K wrote: ...I put about $10,000 into mine, then sold it for $900...

I had $1200 in mine and sold it for $1800

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/9/11 6:34 p.m.
WhiteLX wrote: mine sounds decent

Yes, yes it does. But I hate to say it, I still hear the "tractor" in it. Especially this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cvEuq-cGI

People say the like the sound of mine with the Borla, but the tractor is still in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLPpf-_U7W0

BTW, you should be helping me dissuade him... gotta keep 'em under the radar, or the next thing you know they'll be skittles. Heck, there are now 3 of us "XR4TI" folks posting on here semi-regularly... I'll double check, but I think that might be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
9/9/11 6:36 p.m.

I sold my XR4ti to buy my Milano (non-verde) and loved the Milano where I was disappoitned in the XR4ti.

The XR4ti came back to me and I put in a BAT Shifter - it helped alot, but it wasn't as fun to drive as the Milano. It was faster though.

But my opinion isn't one you'd want to follow. Else you might end up with something like a Biturbo in your driveway.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/9/11 6:41 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: But my opinion isn't one you'd want to follow. Else you might end up with something like a Biturbo in your driveway.

I thought that was in the User's agreement terms for this forum... at some point you're required to have a Biturbo in your driveway for a minimum yet to be specified time period.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/9/11 6:55 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote:
Yes, yes it does. But I hate to say it, I still hear the "tractor" in it. Especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cvEuq-cGI People say the like the sound of mine with the Borla, but the tractor is still in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLPpf-_U7W0 BTW, you should be helping me dissuade him... gotta keep 'em under the radar, or the next thing you know they'll be skittles. Heck, there are now 3 of us "XR4TI" folks posting on here semi-regularly... I'll double check, but I think that might be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

that was with the old T3 turbo when it let go, hence the smoke. Most of the other videos are with the T4-46/T3 stgIII. It definitely sounds different with the stg III turbine. Eventually I want to do something about the exhaust elbow and maybe a header. Maybe try the ATP cosworth housing with a center mount 40Bob log header.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
9/9/11 7:35 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I can't think of a good reason to ever live in California.

Yup, the only reason we are here is because the wife's family are all here. We are both native Kalifornian's and we are very seriously discussing moving out of the state when (or should I say IF) our house rebounds to the point where we have some equity.

As far as the visual inspection, you can find shops that will flub it, you just have to be in the know. I don't think it actually has anything to do with being less polluting, it is more about placebo laws and revenue generation.

Anyway, back to topic, I would actually prefer a GTV-6 to a Milano, but those have really gone up in value lately. I can't seem to find any decent ones for below 5k. A few years ago, you could get them for sub-2k all day long....

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/10/11 4:39 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Travis_K wrote: ...I put about $10,000 into mine, then sold it for $900...
I had $1200 in mine and sold it for $1800

Yours was in a lot better shape than mine, and you didn't keep it too long like I did. For anyone thinking about buying one, its worth it to spend $5k on the best 2.5 milano you can find, the stuff that needs fixing costs the same for a nice car or a beater, and the things that make the difference between a $5k one and a $800 one are mostly not things that there is any possibility of fixing.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
9/10/11 6:48 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote:
Yes, yes it does. But I hate to say it, I still hear the "tractor" in it. Especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cvEuq-cGI People say the like the sound of mine with the Borla, but the tractor is still in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLPpf-_U7W0 BTW, you should be helping me dissuade him... gotta keep 'em under the radar, or the next thing you know they'll be skittles. Heck, there are now 3 of us "XR4TI" folks posting on here semi-regularly... I'll double check, but I think that might be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

You should move to Daewoos like me. There's absolutely no danger of those becoming skittles. ;)

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/10/11 2:16 p.m.
Anyway, back to topic, I would actually prefer a GTV-6 to a Milano, but those have really gone up in value lately. I can't seem to find any decent ones for below 5k. A few years ago, you could get them for sub-2k all day long....

A milano is much more like a real car than a gtv6 (better interior, wiring, way better rustproofing, better gear ratios, no weird dual disc clutch, etc). There is about 6 inches less room in front of the engine in a gtv6 too.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/10/11 9:02 p.m.

but which is the better sports car?

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/10/11 9:07 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: but which is the better sports car?

If both are stock, the milano.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lG77xnffdpW0QnvqKxcOUT0jlOMRGDW5WNHBkSBGxZd0Z24DIapcihHr81WSs3Aj