1 2
rmarkc
rmarkc New Reader
1/13/09 8:21 p.m.

I'm watching an auction for an 1988: 191k miles auto blue/blue Needs paint/bodywork (not sure about rust) new exhaust "serviceable" top new timing belt and waterpump overheating problem that could possibly be cured by bleeding or aux fan, never went to red according to owner.

I haven't seen it in person yet.

I've been sorta looking for a BMW vert or a Volvo turbo wagon as a beater/DD. The opening bid is slightly less than "fair" value on kbb.com.

Any thoughts?

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
1/13/09 8:32 p.m.

Its a bathtub IMO, way too much chassis flex for me. I'd pass if its anywhere near kbb value.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/13/09 8:47 p.m.

"no" for the automatic. "no" for undiscovered overheating issue. "no" for not being crazy cheap.

Luke
Luke Dork
1/13/09 8:47 p.m.

It'd make a cool cruiser/daily driver, but the auto trans would be a deal breaker for me. One of the best parts of an E30 is the slick 5-speed, IMO.

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
1/13/09 9:02 p.m.

No, no, no.

There's enough e30s around and they're cheap enough to get a good one still.

Wait for a manual 325is.

rmarkc
rmarkc New Reader
1/13/09 9:19 p.m.

The auto and drop-top are 2 things I'm looking for. I've got a 5-speed DD now and stop-n-go commuting is tiresome.

As for flex, I'm not going to race it...just drive it.

The overheating issue bothers me though. The waterpump and TB were replaced by a former BMW mechanic to try and fix the problem but it is still there...maybe that is why he is a former BMW mechanic.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
1/13/09 9:32 p.m.

you could try an auto miata? those are cheap and a great deal better convertibles.

Or, if you really want the long body convertible, try an older Saab 'vert.

mtn
mtn Dork
1/13/09 9:49 p.m.

I have a 91 318 Vert. It is awesome. Yeah, its not stiff enough. But thats really my only problem with it. We still autocross it, and in the BMW club, I do pretty well for a new autocrosser in the lowest powered car there, usually finish middle of the pack.

I would be wary of any E30 with an auto. But as a boulevard cruiser, as an around town drop top, it is awesome. But, look around and find one that is in good shape. They aren't that much money; they aren't in high demand as a convertible or as an E30.

Slick92GSR
Slick92GSR New Reader
1/13/09 10:15 p.m.

man, go for it! if u on post this forum, means u have to be kinda mechanically inclined right ?..drive the car (if u can)..biggest attention on the tranny behavior (shifting or clunking).. tranny replacements are a weekend job and can be found easily..

mtn
mtn Dork
1/13/09 10:48 p.m.
Slick92GSR wrote: if u on post this forum, means u have to be kinda mechanically inclined right ?.

No.

pres589
pres589 New Reader
1/13/09 11:15 p.m.
Slick92GSR wrote: man, go for it! if u on post this forum, means u have to be kinda mechanically inclined right ?..drive the car (if u can)..biggest attention on the tranny behavior (shifting or clunking).. tranny replacements are a weekend job and can be found easily..

Normally it means you can use proper English but there's always exceptions to the rule, right?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
1/14/09 8:33 a.m.

The cooling system on a baby six engine can be tricky to bleed, there may be some air bubbles causing the high temps. Something else that happened to my car once is a little piece of silicone gasket sealer (left over from someone doing a thermostat replacement in the past) broke loose, floated around for a while and got lodged in the return line from the coolant overflow tank to the radiator. The temp gauge would read normally at speed, but at low rpm it would spike up because the water pump couldn't overcome the flow restriction.

The convertible will potentially have more rust issues than a regular e30 since there are more opportunities for water leaks, but otherwise it should be just as robust as a sedan.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
1/14/09 9:40 p.m.

Go look on the e30 sites.

You dont want an Auto with over 125k miles. Unless your planning on doing a manual swap. You can find a nice one for 2500 .

If they have done the water pump it means they have been dealing with a temp issue for a while. There is a good chance they blew the head gasket. I would hope that some one has already tried to bleed the system.

Id say if you can get it for a grand and can work on your own cars then OK. You can always grab the parts off a U pull yard. A 5 speed will be about 100 and the clutch assembly will be 45ish.

B

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/14/09 9:52 p.m.
pres589 wrote:
Slick92GSR wrote: man, go for it! if u on post this forum, means u have to be kinda mechanically inclined right ?..drive the car (if u can)..biggest attention on the tranny behavior (shifting or clunking).. tranny replacements are a weekend job and can be found easily..
Normally it means you can use proper English but there's always exceptions to the rule, right?

It also means you don't have to be a dick. Though I can't stand the use of the letter u for the word you.

Joey

Slick92GSR
Slick92GSR New Reader
1/14/09 10:37 p.m.
pres589 wrote:

what the hell is eating u? maybe my mistake, but i didn't realise that there was grammar & spelling police on this site.. how about u offer some assistance instead of stinking up the place with your bad attitude & simple minded silly comments .?

Slick92GSR
Slick92GSR New Reader
1/14/09 10:42 p.m.

In reply to joey48442:

sorry Joey, too many forums..i'm hopelessly accustomed to typing ''U" nowadays..

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/14/09 11:35 p.m.
Slick92GSR wrote: In reply to joey48442: sorry Joey, too many forums..i'm hopelessly accustomed to typing ''U" nowadays..

Text speak bugs me a bit, but that's no reason for him to be dicky about it.

Joey

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/15/09 12:02 a.m.

^Lay off the Grammar Nazi stuff, it's get really annoying to read a bunch of people constantly ragging on others and thinking they should be English professors because they know the difference between "your" and "you're," etc.

I agree with Belt, no reason to buy one with a bunch of problems when good ones can be found for reasonable money.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/15/09 12:32 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^Lay off the Grammar Nazi stuff, it's get really annoying to read a bunch of people constantly ragging on others and thinking they should be English professors because they know the difference between "your" and "you're," etc. I agree with Belt, no reason to buy one with a bunch of problems when good ones can be found for reasonable money.

I don't think I was being a grammer nazi... I told him to not be a dick to the other guy. I still don't like the use of the letter u, though.

Joey

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/15/09 6:26 a.m.

Was directed at the people doing the Nazi'ing.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/15/09 6:39 a.m.

+1 on avoinding E30s of automatic is one of your shopping requirements. I have heard nothing good about their life expectancy. I personally dont see any problem with driving a manual in traffic, but I am probably in the minority.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/15/09 7:57 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: I personally dont see any problem with driving a manual in traffic, but I am probably in the minority.

Agreed... I had a 95 corolla with a 5 speed, and loved every minute of it. My new(er) 99 infiniti G20 has a lot of cool stuff...Bose sound, leather, cruise etc etc, but its a slushbox 4 speed. I'd trade all that "lux" stuff for an H pattern in my right hand anyday!

wcelliot
wcelliot New Reader
1/15/09 8:48 a.m.

My wife commutes 2-3 hours daily in an E30 vert 5sp... refused even the idea of driving a slushbox...

To me (and apparently to my wife as well) E30's are the perfect crossover between a classic sports car and a completely usable/practical modern car. Easy to maintain, extremely reliable, comfortable, and fun to drive... as a comparison she never liked my E36 M3...

Bill

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/15/09 10:28 a.m.
wcelliot wrote: ... as a comparison she never liked my E36 M3... Bill

Not a fan of the "hot carl", eh?

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/15/09 10:32 a.m.

Back on topic. I've got an E30 auto. It was too good a deal to pass up. Although I generally hate autos, it actually has a pretty damn good feel to it. It engine brakes pretty well, as opposed to upshifting or letting the converter stall like most autos do. That being said, I'll be excited the day it goes out on me, so I can justify a 5 speed swap.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OyGGzhYuvyAvOecEOCRlQZXS0SMvqMKNRp2pBuMLGVEfGF0Nmgq0xo8rVHyF1Ye8