1 2
spandak
spandak Dork
3/6/24 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I hear they were dogs off boost. The 5 speed helped. "Enough" seems relative haha

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
3/6/24 9:41 p.m.

It's happening!!

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
3/6/24 9:49 p.m.

Ok, this thread delivers

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
3/6/24 11:02 p.m.

So I was going to post nothing until the next update is ready (gotta keep those traffic numbers up), but it felt wrong to leave you guys hanging so I'll post this before I go to bed:

I found the problem, and I should be able to fix this transmission.

The details and photos will turn into the next project update...stay tuned!

spandak
spandak Dork
3/6/24 11:15 p.m.

Just knowing that is making me want to find a broken one for cheap...

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/6/24 11:23 p.m.
spandak said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I hear they were dogs off boost. The 5 speed helped. "Enough" seems relative haha

I've driven two but only on track. Not sure it's so much beings dogs off boast but more of classic 70s turbo lag.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/7/24 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

What are your "while we are in here" plans in regards to the clutch, throwout bearing, dual mass flywheel, etc? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
3/7/24 9:03 a.m.

I'll change the clutch and throw out bearing, but will likely keep the dual-mass flywheel. This will be a street car, and I'm on a budget. We swapped to a lighter aftermarket clutch and single-mass flywheel on the Boxster project, and it was noisy and hurt driveability on the street.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/7/24 9:27 a.m.

Depending on the life it's lived, it might be time for a new flywheel too. Definitely keep the dual mass on anything but a dedicated track car.

grover
grover Dork
3/7/24 10:03 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

So I was going to post nothing until the next update is ready (gotta keep those traffic numbers up), but it felt wrong to leave you guys hanging so I'll post this before I go to bed:

Sounds like it was an obvious, and hopefully fairly simple, fix. Fingers crossed for you! 

offroadwine
offroadwine New Reader
3/7/24 11:11 a.m.

I well recall being the only guy in the Acura store that would (or could) do trans work, having a dedicated bench and a nice selection of select-fit shims and such right there. I was sorely bummed when Acura decided to centralize repairs and supply only units at the dealer level.

This should be fun, watching you guys dive down the hole. 

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
3/7/24 11:27 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I'm all aquiver with anticipation!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
3/7/24 11:36 a.m.
offroadwine said:

I well recall being the only guy in the Acura store that would (or could) do trans work, having a dedicated bench and a nice selection of select-fit shims and such right there. I was sorely bummed when Acura decided to centralize repairs and supply only units at the dealer level.

This should be fun, watching you guys dive down the hole. 

Hey! I just overhauled a '92 NSX transaxle and am envious of the dealer guys who had all the right tools back in the day. The factory service manual was pretty good though.

EDIT: Hopefully this won't derail the thread, but what was it like working on these units back then?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/8/24 8:16 a.m.

And now, the conclusion to this week's Porsche Cayman cliffhanger:

[Can we fix our Cayman's transmission? Or is it a $15K dealer repair?]

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
3/8/24 11:42 a.m.

earlybroncoguy1,

Congratulations on your free T-shirt! Please email tom@ this website with your size, preferred design (link to it on our store) and shipping address.

Thanks for playing, everybody!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AXoxht3WOfcWIF4UJeOpWjYVO6Agp2fVmofCAdKh9ZrwsBlKD49Veex7Rt1SE0cq