brandonsmash
brandonsmash HalfDork
10/15/24 9:28 p.m.

I'm in the market to replace my Cherokee and a GX550 Overtrail+ seems the most likely candidate. I've inquired at a few dealers but every time I find a dealer advertising the spec I want to buy (Overtrail +, green, at MSRP) it turns out that A) the vehicles doesn't exist and B) when it is built it will still be in transit for some months and C) they all want to magically charge tens of thousands of dollars over the price they're advertising on their webpage.

On top of this, a shocking number of Lexus salespeople fail to have a comprehensive grasp on the English language and can't even be arsed to spell-check their emails. That's a turnoff.

Does anyone have a Lexus Guy or Lexus Gal who isn't a dingus and might help me locate the right vehicle?

I do understand that this is an in-demand vehicle and I very well may not get it this year. That's fine, but I'm also a no-BS kind of guy and would like to deal with a person who's honest and reasonable up front; to date, that hasn't been the case of any of the Lexus reps to whom I've spoken. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/16/24 4:49 a.m.

I know a guy in Southern California, he's a manager at a Lexus dealership. He's also a car enthusiast with some awesome cars too lol. I'll ask him if they're selling at "msrp" or doing "market adjustments".

To note: 

If you're looking at trying to buy at "base msrp", then good luck. Lexus doesn't really send base Overtrail+ with zero options to dealers, they're almost all sent with options. So, what you're getting is the msrp + options. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/16/24 7:06 a.m.

Maybe a full option LC, 97% of a GX, then rebadge it.

Sorry, not helpful.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash HalfDork
10/16/24 10:05 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

There are surprisingly not a ton of options on the OT+ but most of them are fine with me. I'd definitely like the rock sliders and roof rack, as well as keeping the moonroof. The fancy sound system is unnecessary but I wouldn't mind it. If you wouldn't mind making an introduction I'd be happy to talk to your acquaintance! I had a frustrating experience with Keyes Lexus already and don't enjoy dealing with mealy-mouthed and/or dishonest salespeople.

akylekoz:

Honestly, I'd rather go LC. That presents a better "image" for job sites. However, my enclosed trailer is heavy -- about 3700lb -- and when I load it with anything it will at the very least be right at the limit of the LC's towing capacity, whereas the GX pulls almost 9100lb and has plenty of headroom for capacity. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/16/24 11:24 a.m.

No help other than I really like the new GX and Land Cruiser. My uncle just got the LC and it is really awesome (He doesn't tow anything heavier than 2 snowmobiles or wave runners).

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/16/24 11:56 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

He said if you're ok with Black/Chateau then he has one that he should be able to get you in very close to msrp. I'll send you his cell number through the board messaging.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash HalfDork
10/16/24 1:46 p.m.

Just sent him a text. Thanks! I'm not sure about black, but the reference cannot hurt: I'd be happy to work with someone who is straightforward and honest rather than the salespeople with whom I've spoken previously. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/16/24 2:30 p.m.

At least in SoCal without a serious wait you are not touching MSRP at all. Same in Las Vegas and Arizona. Trust me I have clients who are trying. They get on the lot and then they are suddenly sold even with deposits. Will change soon enough but not for now, the Toyota issues that are being seen are rubbing off a bit on Lexus for the new cars but not as much as you would expect.

EDITING THIS. Overland specifically. The base cars are starting to trickle out even under MSRP occasionally. 

Ojala
Ojala Dork
10/16/24 5:24 p.m.

I've been happy with Sewell LEXUS in the past and have bought several vehicles from them. Looks like they have an over trail in stock.  They sell at MSRP but they have started putting on a "protection package" which is tint, front end ppf, and a few other things added for $1700.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/16/24 5:28 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

Just sent him a text. Thanks! I'm not sure about black, but the reference cannot hurt: I'd be happy to work with someone who is straightforward and honest rather than the salespeople with whom I've spoken previously. 

Hopefully you get exactly what you're looking for! 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/16/24 9:38 p.m.

I hadn't heard of these yet and looking at photos and reviews these look awesome. Good luck. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/17/24 8:50 a.m.

Given that the LC, GX and new 4Runner are basically the same, and basically the same price, I'd rather have the GX because of the V6 turbo motor.  Well, as long as toyota has fixed whatever was causing those motors to explode...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/17/24 9:26 a.m.

I thought about replacing my raptor with one of these until I realized it's almost the same price and then the recent issues with Toyota V6s. Might wait for the initial hype to die down. That green is sexy though. 

I did a search near me for one of these. An exact match is at Herrin-Gear Lexus in Jackson, MS. Probably not going to find the same demand for these in Jackson, MS as in Southern California...

New 2024 Lexus GX 550 OVERTRAIL 4D Sport Utility in Jackson #X24302 | Herrin-Gear Lexus (herringearlexus.com)

brandonsmash
brandonsmash HalfDork
10/17/24 1:15 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Very close. That's not the + trim. I could definitely go without the plus but losing memory seats would be annoying as I'm sure my wife will be driving this a fair but and there's a significant size disparity between us! 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/17/24 1:53 p.m.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is going on with the V6 problems with recent Toyotas? Is it all of them? Is there going to be a fix?

brandonsmash
brandonsmash HalfDork
10/17/24 3:06 p.m.

From my understanding of it, there was a manufacturing defect and the blocks were improperly cleaned following machining. This presence of swarf could then damage cylinder walls, etc., leading to failure. Toyota issued a company-wide recall on ALL engines and has replaced all the long blocks. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
10/18/24 8:55 a.m.

Sounds exactly like the Hyundai situation

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Hq7ESTQK7KqvmSlpOsv90VjWiYDX0I81gUAZKMZjOMiNk9zf8TFFNRuS0eZRNJN