3 4 5
StrangeC
StrangeC New Reader
6/30/24 11:45 a.m.

I have a version of this chart from 2021 and the Nitto NT-01 was rated much better back then:
B, B A, A, A, C vs C, A, D, C, B, C.  The revised rating really drops the Nitto down.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/1/24 2:02 p.m.
StrangeC said:

I have a version of this chart from 2021 and the Nitto NT-01 was rated much better back then:
B, B A, A, A, C vs C, A, D, C, B, C.  The revised rating really drops the Nitto down.

Revised rating based on recent testing here ==> https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/toyo-proxes-r888r-and-the-nitto-nt01-tire-test/

racerrick
racerrick New Reader
7/2/24 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

OK GRM - As a GRASSROOTS magazine you need to help us all out with a true test like you do with all the other tires (thanks for all the 200 TW advise and testing) with a Hankook Z214 vs. Hoosier R7 test.  With a capital "T".  As the Hankooks are approx. $100 less costly per tire this may be the golden ticket for us on a budget.   The Porsche community seems to like the Hankooks (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1254140-hankook-z214-vs-r7.html).  I've been running them on my BMW CCA IP E36 M3 as I got two sets with the car when I bought it from a friend.  However, the only way for me to do a true Hooser vs. Hankook test is to buy a NEW set of each... a costly proposition for one trying to save $100 or so per tire by running the Hankooks.  So, GRM, please put the Z214s in your next tire comparison (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/).  THANKS!

redbeardmcgee
redbeardmcgee New Reader
7/5/24 12:28 p.m.

I love that GRM included some 300 and 340 tread wear tires in the roundup. Is there a push to include any other >200tw tires in the article such as the Bridgestone Potenza Sport that came out in 2021 or the Yokohama Advan Apex V601 that came out in 2019?

Also, is the Continental ExtremeContact Sport tire included in the article the same as the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 that came out in 2023? You mention in the article that Continental updated the tire in 2023, but isn't the Sport 02 technically a different tire than the original Sport that came out around 2018? If so, I am surprised you didn't just make a new section for it in the article. Under the Continental ExtremeContact Sport section of the article, you even link to an article from 2018 which isn't representative of the new compound. By my way of thinking, that would be like saying that the  Hankook Ventus R-S4 is just an updated R-S3 which is just an updated R-S2 so you would keep them all under the Hankook Ventus RS section and still linking to the R-S3 and older articles.

flyin_viata
flyin_viata New Reader
7/5/24 12:58 p.m.
racerrick said:

In reply to Duke :

OK GRM - As a GRASSROOTS magazine you need to help us all out with a true test like you do with all the other tires (thanks for all the 200 TW advise and testing) with a Hankook Z214 vs. Hoosier R7 test.  With a capital "T".  As the Hankooks are approx. $100 less costly per tire this may be the golden ticket for us on a budget.   The Porsche community seems to like the Hankooks (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1254140-hankook-z214-vs-r7.html).  I've been running them on my BMW CCA IP E36 M3 as I got two sets with the car when I bought it from a friend.  However, the only way for me to do a true Hooser vs. Hankook test is to buy a NEW set of each... a costly proposition for one trying to save $100 or so per tire by running the Hankooks.  So, GRM, please put the Z214s in your next tire comparison (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/).  THANKS!

They should add the new compound Proxes R to that comparison...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/5/24 1:07 p.m.
flyin_viata said:

Been trying to arrange that for six months.  Toyo keeps dragging their feet.  Now they say "this fall". 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/5/24 1:13 p.m.
redbeardmcgee said:

I love that GRM included some 300 and 340 tread wear tires in the roundup. Is there a push to include any other >200tw tires in the article such as the Bridgestone Potenza Sport that came out in 2021 or the Yokohama Advan Apex V601 that came out in 2019?

Not really.  They are rarely used for motorsports, which is what GRM is about.  In that category, only the PS4S and ECS/ECS02 are really viable options.  Tire Rack does a good job of evaluating those other tires for street use.

One note on the Bridgestone Potenza Sport...we came very close to doing that test, but folks we knew who tried them had them delaminate on track.  Not a good fit for track use, even minor.  Potenza Race is much better as a dual purpose tire, despite it's name.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/5/24 1:19 p.m.
redbeardmcgee said:

Also, is the Continental ExtremeContact Sport tire included in the article the same as the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 that came out in 2023? You mention in the article that Continental updated the tire in 2023, but isn't the Sport 02 technically a different tire than the original Sport that came out around 2018? If so, I am surprised you didn't just make a new section for it in the article. Under the Continental ExtremeContact Sport section of the article, you even link to an article from 2018 which isn't representative of the new compound. By my way of thinking, that would be like saying that the  Hankook Ventus R-S4 is just an updated R-S3 which is just an updated R-S2 so you would keep them all under the Hankook Ventus RS section and still linking to the R-S3 and older articles.

I assume you are talking about this recently released story? 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/kenda-vezda-uhp-max-kr20a-tire-test/

If so, that info has not yet been incorporated into the chart and it's supporting blurbs.  We updated the blurb a year ago before ever testing the tire to reflect what we knew at the time (based on TR prelim testing).  It will now get updated to reflect that new GRM testing.  Right, Colin?  :)

flyin_viata
flyin_viata New Reader
7/5/24 1:32 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
flyin_viata said:

Been trying to arrange that for six months.  Toyo keeps dragging their feet.  Now they say "this fall". 

Well that doesn't really inspire confidence...you'd think they'd want to prove how much better the new compound is for customers

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TGTnFzTbXPvS0rmZba7sd76Vi9kBlnboQDeg4GcG6lLqKZx9kKaH4iVo6UXQ9PT7