Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/30/24 5:12 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-epAkqnG3oU?si=l94KtMDjIpicOv0C

Has Nissan managed to build a sports car capable of beating the GR Supra beater with the new Z Nismo?

To find out, we took a 2024 Nissan Z Nismo to the official GRM test track, the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park, to compare its lap time against the Toyota GR Supra'…

Watch more videos

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/1/24 3:00 a.m.

I wonder what the IATs were on the Z? The acceleration numbers dropping off pull after pull against the BMW makes me think tuning protection for torque as mentioned or just not enough w2a intercooler.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/1/24 9:51 a.m.

In summary, "meh" for that price point.  

Watch the video for sister-kissing praise for an automatic transmission that works well ... at something less than full throttle, and a motor that's kind of strong ... but never seems to make the advertised horsepower.  

But it has good brakes.

My opinion:  the best Z in the market is still a GR86 or BRZ.  To Nissan, "change my mind."

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/1/24 10:08 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Watch the video for sister-kissing praise for an automatic transmission that works well ... at something less than full throttle, and a motor that's kind of strong ... but never seems to make the advertised horsepower.  

But it has good brakes.

My opinion:  the best Z in the market is still a GR86 or BRZ.  To Nissan, "change my mind."

I don't think I was particularly cagey about my disappointment with the car. The thing is, it's pretty decent overall, it just doesn't come close to meeting the promises made by its supposed specs. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/1/24 10:20 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I think you provided the rarely seen honest review.  I don't know how the honesty will impact GRM's relationship with Nissan reps in the future, but they are free to up their game if they can ever locate the script.

Disclosure:  I was a Nissan/Datsun fan "a long time ago" and what seems like "in a galaxy far, far away."

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/1/24 11:15 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

I think you provided the rarely seen honest review.  I don't know how the honesty will impact GRM's relationship with Nissan reps in the future, but they are free to up their game if they can ever locate the script.

Disclosure:  I was a Nissan/Datsun fan "a long time ago" and what seems like "in a galaxy far, far away."

We're definitelynot immune to second guessing ourselves when cars we're excited about underperforms. But one of the complications of relying so heavily on the VBox is it gets pretty hard to hide mediocre performance behind flowery subjective opinions. So if Nissan's mad I'd love to have them tell us what we did wrong, because I'd love to see this car be a worthy competitor for the Supra. 

But that begs the question of whether or not extracting top performance from a car like this should require factory intervention. The supra and the M2 showed up and laid down top-tier lap times. I feel like an car that needs a secret Konami code to perform at its best has missed the mark already. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/1/24 11:24 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

But it has good brakes.

Thanks for it's basically "meh." I'm tired of video content without at least a few paragraphs for a quick overview. I don't have time, nor the desire to constantly watch 15+ minute videos when I can read the same info in 2. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/1/24 12:42 p.m.

We're on the same page.

Maybe Nissan should stick to producing late-model Altimas that come from the factory with a space-saver spare already attached to one wheel and a front or rear clip partially detached...that's how so many seem to be driven in this neck of the woods, anyway.  Earn extra points if driven 80mph or more and weaving across multiple lanes of traffic with those "mods."wink

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/1/24 12:49 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You're welcome.  The conclusion is that it's fast, but it's not the sharpest choice at that price point in the market.

sdcrain56
sdcrain56
10/2/24 1:03 p.m.

I would like to point out that 301 whp is not crankshaft HP. I have no skin in this game but normal drop between the two is 12-15%. Taking 12% off the Z removes 50 hp at the wheel's. BMW is notorious for understating their horsepower. This is seen time and again on dynos. Still does not excuse the Z but it does bring it closer to reality.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels Reader
10/2/24 1:06 p.m.

Another also ran in an almost endless list of also rans from Nissan-they haven't built an affordable performance car since the 91 SER. I am so done with Nissan, now I'll just go back to sleep. Wake me up when there is a 15 minute video that isn't a waste of time

Snrub
Snrub Dork
10/2/24 1:16 p.m.
livinon2wheels said:

Another also ran in an almost endless list of also rans from Nissan-they haven't built an affordable performance car since the 91 SER. I am so done with Nissan, now I'll just go back to sleep.

In Canada (where I am) the price of the bas 370Z for the last few years of its run was $30k CDN, or around $22-23k US. The US price was higher, but I think the base model was still a legitimately compelling sportscar. It was priced to compete with the 86/BRZ. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/24 2:15 p.m.
sdcrain56 said:

I would like to point out that 301 whp is not crankshaft HP. I have no skin in this game but normal drop between the two is 12-15%. Taking 12% off the Z removes 50 hp at the wheel's. BMW is notorious for understating their horsepower. This is seen time and again on dynos. Still does not excuse the Z but it does bring it closer to reality.

You'll find that the folks here understand the difference between crank HP and wheel HP. wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
byaPPP4D5XAxPx6dbL5Cby6DpNhfgVW6pjbki0U3GhmRVJVxH19vLgtdsj3TPQfX