1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/6/10 7:09 a.m.

I'll sell you my almost completed Swift and co-drive one of the honduhs? lol

Nah... Dave is right, suspension is haunting my dreams right now.... trying to figure out what is goingto make it fast. I think I finally have the power where she needs to be (about 93-95whp) and the weight is still coming down (shooting for 1700lbs empty).

The other car I was looking for before teh swiffer was the 98-99 Accent GT. It was a DOHC Alpha 1.5. It was only offered in the hatchback, was light and made decent power.

Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
4/6/10 7:19 a.m.

As an MR2 guy, I'll chime in and say that there is some development going on the MR2 community to put together a package that could compete with the Civics, but probably not at the national level.

At the same time you're shopping for a platform, keep in mind the aftermarket community. Are coil-overs available, if not, has anybody modified struts/or whatever to accomodate some available ones? Easy bolt pattern? Enough support to help you troubleshoot it when something breaks?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/6/10 9:20 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'll sell you my almost completed Swift and co-drive one of the honduhs? lol Nah... Dave is right, suspension is haunting my dreams right now.... trying to figure out what is goingto make it fast. I think I finally have the power where she needs to be (about 93-95whp) and the weight is still coming down (shooting for 1700lbs empty). The other car I was looking for before teh swiffer was the 98-99 Accent GT. It was a DOHC Alpha 1.5. It was only offered in the hatchback, was light and made decent power.

What exactly do you run in again? How are you bringing weight down?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/6/10 11:28 a.m.

ST aka "Spec Civic". Dropped 29lbs with a light battery alone. IIRC, she was 1780 with "junk in the trunk", so that puts me down to 1750-ish....drop 1/2 tank of fuel for another 24lbs....

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/6/10 12:06 p.m.

Hrmmm... so the Mirage doesn't seem like it would be THAT far off point, then. I probably weigh a good 50lbs less personally than most people as well, so that'll help.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/6/10 12:15 p.m.

Clarification needed, AE92 Corolla nerds.

AE92 GTS: What are the REAL power ratings and weight figures for these cars? What years are more desireable?

I've seen conflicting power figures from 102hp all the way to 135hp.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/6/10 12:37 p.m.

I hear AE92 w/o LSD is not worth the trouble.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/6/10 12:51 p.m.
STS_ZX2 wrote: I hear AE92 w/o LSD is not worth the trouble.

Any particular reason? It seems to have similar power/weight ratio as the EGT, which doesn't have LSD either.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/6/10 12:57 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Hrmmm... so the Mirage doesn't seem like it would be THAT far off point, then. I probably weigh a good 50lbs less personally than most people as well, so that'll help.

Mirage wont be light as Bob...but should be right there with EFs, maybe even a bit lighter (the are in the mid-upper 1900's). I seem to recall that there was someboby who started an STS project a few years ago--and then instead went to FSP with the Mitsu...was able to get -3 camber easily and fit 7.5" wheels. Used Whiteline in Oz for many of the suspension parts. The car is pretty low and has a nice stance--I am really liking it as a choice (keep in mind that you should be able to search for a Dodge Colt as well). I think the key is getting some quality dampers--but you should be able to make something around Koni 8610/8611s...

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/6/10 12:59 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
STS_ZX2 wrote: I hear AE92 w/o LSD is not worth the trouble.
Any particular reason? It seems to have similar power/weight ratio as the EGT, which doesn't have LSD either.

Ooops--I was thinking AE86. Yeah, the AE92 might be worth a look. I think the later ones had factory 130HP...

rickybobby
rickybobby
4/6/10 3:28 p.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

I thought no Hondas at first too.....until I drove one. I drank the kool aid, and will continue to for awhile.

But if you want to go oddball......I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Ralliart Lancer that used to do pretty well locally. But it's pretty heavy, and the McStrut suspension isn't as good as the Honda.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/6/10 4:04 p.m.
rickybobby wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: I thought no Hondas at first too.....until I drove one. I drank the kool aid, and will continue to for awhile. But if you want to go oddball......I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Ralliart Lancer that used to do pretty well locally. But it's pretty heavy, and the McStrut suspension isn't as good as the Honda.

Well, see, that's the thing. I started out in Hondas, then moved on. If i ever go back, it'll be to build something that will be FAR FAR beyond ST/STS rules. I want to build a "G23 Vtec." That ain't gonna fly in ST in an EF chassis. Just sayin'.

I appreciate the offer on the Lancer, but that'll be pretty far out of my price range. I'm more comfy with older cars anyways.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey New Reader
4/7/10 1:19 a.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote: I have no idea where they'd class it, but you could go after the weird asian market only sub compacts. It would be cool to see what a Matiz Cup car would do in AutoX. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Daewoo_Matiz.jpg http://www.automoblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/chevrolet-matiz-v8.jpg
racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/7/10 8:16 a.m.

I don't run the class so not sure what cars are all in there, but what about an A2 Golf GTI or Jetta GLI? Awesome handling even if a bit down on power to the others.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
4/7/10 2:45 p.m.

I'll just reiterate the STS AW11 suggestion, although I'm admittedly biased (love mine). Like any car that isn't "the one" to have it's going to be an uphill battle against the lighter CRXs and Miatas.

However, like Brotus7 said, there's been some interesting info/development in the MR2 community dealing with suspension setup thanks to our favorite curmudgeon, Steve Hoelsher (sp?), who is a past DP Nats champ. Following his swaybar-less methods a few board members over there have been knocking on FTD locally. The Macstrut setup is limiting, but can be overcome imho.

Besides, they kinda meet your criteria of being cheap and a darkhorse of sorts. There are a few other classes that have potential as well if you decide to get more serious. I think 4agze swap into the lighter and t-topless 85/86 model would be fun in CSP, and Steve's already proven they're competitive nationally in DP, although with a heap ton of very well thought out development. Also, Zipty on this board (and mr2oc.com) is in XP, although I'm unsure of how he's doing.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/7/10 3:00 p.m.

I've driven Steve's MR2 as well as his old X1/9 both with a conventional setup, and his no sway bar setup; the difference is night and day. His old X1/9 was the best autocross car I've ever driven bar none, and that includes open wheel cars, Corvettes, 911's, Miatas, you name it. Unbelievable with that setup. I should have used it on mine. His MR2 is also awesome, but in a sledgehammer sort of way, and I mean that as a compliment. If you go the MR2 route and use his suspension setup, you won't regret it, and it can be done on a budget suspension wise.

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
4/7/10 3:52 p.m.

My MR2 is a FTD machine locally, and so far has proven competitive with a well prepped DP miata, even though my spring rates and roll centers were still a little off at that race.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
4/7/10 5:07 p.m.
zipty842 wrote: My MR2 is a FTD machine locally, and so far has proven competitive with a well prepped DP miata, even though my spring rates and roll centers were still a little off at that race.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear . . .

Good to hear the car's been successful. I've been silently jealous of your ride for some time.

Dave - also cool to hear about piloting Steve's cars. I've only seen videos and it looks to be an absolute beast.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/9/10 8:13 a.m.
Matt B wrote:
zipty842 wrote: My MR2 is a FTD machine locally, and so far has proven competitive with a well prepped DP miata, even though my spring rates and roll centers were still a little off at that race.
Speak of the devil, and he shall appear . . . Good to hear the car's been successful. I've been silently jealous of your ride for some time. Dave - also cool to hear about piloting Steve's cars. I've only seen videos and it looks to be an absolute beast.

Funny you mentioned beast, I told him he should put that on the car somewhere as that is a good description. Back in '94 I co-drove Alan McCrispins 400hp EP TransAm, and it had a license plate that said beast, and Steve's MR2 is much more of a beast than that car was! I've owned a bunch of MR2's, including my old ITA car, but I was not prepared at all for how Steve's would drive. And it is not horse power deprived!

Also, Steve's getting married this weekend finally! If you read this Steve, congratulations again!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YDuYwHeKBnBpTuwtLQpm9xpR6v1FEwQVAjseubBJOAAhKjhzLfaH6z1grBalRzX4