2 3 4
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/21/24 9:02 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

How hard is it to take the boots off and just put the CV cups in?

Or get a crappy axle and use the cups from that.
Or even just cut the cups off and use a stub in order to lessen the possibility of something in the cup being weird. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
4/21/24 9:19 p.m.

Good questions.

I can get 2 used axles for a hundo. 

I might go that way.

More to come!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
4/22/24 5:15 p.m.

Well.....  based on the gearset condition of my rx8 diff, I found a local rotard that I sold some parts to that is willing to trade his old fd diff with 4.10 gears for just my 4.44 gears.

Wish I had asked him before!  I wanted 4.10 gears anyway!  Win / win.

Will report back when I get my diff out and my hands on the fd diff.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/24 5:42 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

you sure you're not from Detroit?  Our big rock station up here is 101 WRIF.  i had to read your plate twice.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
4/22/24 5:56 p.m.

I saw that when we were down there and never made the connection.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
4/22/24 6:11 p.m.

Lolz.

Weird side question...  why do people cover their license plates in pictures?  I never understood that.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/22/24 7:03 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

One good reason, if the pic is racing-related, is that it keeps your insurance company from finding out that you use your car on track as some companies like to terminate your policy for that. A few companies have been found scouring motorsports-related Facebook pages looking for people to drop, which is why it's a good idea to physically cover or remove your plate when on track before anyone starts taking pictures. Understandably there's a lot of worry that insurance companies might do something more insidious like quietly jack up your rates instead. It's pretty rare for companies to drop a customer just because the car was used in a legal racing event but it does happen occasionally.

Apart from potential car insurance issues, it's generally good practice to avoid posting your unique identifying numbers to public websites even if there are few ways to use them to identify you as with license plate numbers.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
5/29/24 7:46 a.m.

Updayttes. 

Rebuilt the rear-end with 4.10 gears.  New bearings too.

Vibration is still present, but about 7 to 10 mph faster speeds (now at around 67 mph instead of around 55 - 57).

This leads me to believe it is either driveshaft angles (still), or transmission.

I have a spare transmission.  It's just sitting there.  I guess I'll slap that bad boy in and see if it goes away.  If not, time for a cv driveshaft...

I love the new gearing.  It allows the car to pull longer.  

Much fun, such wow.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
6/8/24 2:23 p.m.

Rob. Rob. Rob. Roooooooob. 

Hi. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
6/8/24 5:19 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Hello, you sexy beast!

I haven't had time to swap transmissions yet.  Maybe this coming weekend.

I also need to work on the ac system and install an aux port for the radio, or just install a cheap ebay headunit.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xqDKq68GOLQjHrM8ahVUYIxQ5XbDFiwhiRgR645NkZfZpSTm8o0DyWT973zh5TO0