1 2
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/12/19 8:35 p.m.
Patrick said:

If you can stomach 4k more there’s a dealer in MD selling 2019 new scat pack chargers for 29.  How would your wife and dogs like a 485hp sedan?

Wow,  that seems like a hell of a deal.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
8/13/19 6:40 a.m.

The 2020 Elantra N-Line is a GTI without the GTI price. The newer DCT's are lightyears better than the outgoing model and the N-line treatment made the chassis absolutely fantastic and extremely playful.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/13/19 6:57 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

I know it falls under "Euro" cars but the newer Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack are really nice. The Sportwagen can be had for about $20k and the Alltrack for about $23-25k.

Here is a brand new 2019 Alltrack in green with the sweet brown interior:

2019 Golf Alltrack

This is the color combo I would buy if I was in the market. I'm not a VW fanboy by any means but their newer stuff is pretty dang appealing.

My ex- has almost this exact car (hers is a 6 spd manual).  Very nice and tempting. She's had it for about a year now and I've not heard of any issues, although she has many cars (5), so none of them get a ton of miles.

Honestly, I'd take that C&D list and go on test drives with the wife. See which one SHE likes best.  What we think is of little value.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/19 6:58 a.m.
captdownshift said:

If you can find a CPO GLA45 for under $35k, it'd be worth stretching your budget.

Ahhh GRM, "I'm looking for a cheaper, new economy car."

"You should really add 50% to your budget for a used luxury, german vehicle."

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/13/19 8:07 a.m.
Ian F said:

Honestly, I'd take that C&D list and go on test drives with the wife. See which one SHE likes best.  What we think is of little value.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/13/19 1:12 p.m.

^Great advice. And don't be surprised if you end up with the Toyota.

We recently got offered a 2005 Camry for nearly nothing, and after owning a Miata, a Festiva, and an E30 together, my wife said "This is the car I've always wanted."

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/13/19 5:18 p.m.

If I wanted to walk I'd consider the Dodge surprise  Besides, I'm already building a Hemi

As to the C&D list, hmmmmm  2, 3 and 5  (as a side note my wife does like our neighbors Veloster)  I'm not a fan of the Honda styling, and I already mentioned VW isn't in the mix.  

The CX3, the Kona(there is 3 -5 days a year we could really use awd traction), and the Soul are also kind of in the orbit as well.

While the wife has driven mostly manual shift cars, her left knee gets angry @ her these days and so automatic it is.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/13/19 5:24 p.m.

Now that the Mazda 3 is offered with AWD, I can't imagine any reason to consider the CX-3. Oh, except it's cheaper maybe? Less room, less power.

I find the Soul interesting (no pun intended), I'd go drive one if it were me.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/14/19 2:07 p.m.

There is supposed to be a new Focus.   Much improved.    New 8 speed trans.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/16/19 6:40 p.m.

(above is just example)

2019 Mazda 3 awd preferred pkg (Bose stereo, heated seats, individual temp zones)   Just in (BARELY) price range...  

Any reason to NOT pull the trigger on this???

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/16/19 8:44 p.m.

I really don’t see any of these new cars listed (aside from the VW Sportwagon) as being acceptable dog cars. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/16/19 10:01 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

The engine and trans are known quantities. Been the same since ‘14. Rock solid in my father’s ownership experience. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/16/19 10:03 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

I’m not sure if you’re kidding, but in case you’re not—the new Focus is not coming to the US.

Shame too, they look great and would probably be the best option in the class.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/17/19 9:57 a.m.

I was going to say Mazda 3 but I was Wrong.  Scat Pack is the answer. 

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
8/17/19 10:35 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

If it matters to you, my friend found the rear very claustrophobic and apparently the rear visibility out the back of the 5-door hatchback is really poor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNby5X3tdI

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/17/19 4:33 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

(above is just example)

2019 Mazda 3 awd preferred pkg (Bose stereo, heated seats, individual temp zones)   Just in (BARELY) price range...  

Any reason to NOT pull the trigger on this???

we bought it....

hopefully we will be happy Mazda owners......

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bb5GGVPwTqj27G6kjsqcdy4HgcWpPouirr2Gx5cglp9nxNE2UNks4Xd2gFCOizz1