1 2 3 4 5
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
3/4/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Any more info on that Mighty Max/Ram50? Looks like a pretty rowdy little truck.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
3/4/19 11:46 a.m.

Since we are pic dumping minitrucks here's my crazy Frankenstein part bin project.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
3/4/19 12:12 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Any more info on that Mighty Max/Ram50? Looks like a pretty rowdy little truck.

Not mine of course, but he is not far from me. He is usually at the one autocross/drift event I make sure to attend every year. 

It's a Ram50, as you noticed. Tube chassis, at least on the rear. Powered by an S2000 engine, and is currently getting turbo charged for this season. It's beat, but it is built for drifting, so that's not unexpected. 

Mike, or Mikie Swartz is the owner, WhiplashDVD on YouTube. He's been building his channel recently. He also does some offroading and such in old tacomas. 

Note: Some of his content is a bit risque shall we say. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
3/4/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Pic dumps welcome, that's the only I opened this thread. Needs more pics!

2 more of the Whiplash truck, because why not.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
3/5/19 12:01 p.m.

In terms of newer builds I would say there are more then one reason. The fact that a mini truck hasn’t been sold in North America in a number of years definitely plays a role any thing you would start from would certainly be older and more rusty etc now. Plus also competition for buying these trucks from groups like drag racing(v8 in the small pickup goes fast) off roaders etc also play a role.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/5/19 12:56 p.m.

Here's one I sent in as a tip to Daily Turismo:Mighty Max convertible conversion

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
3/5/19 3:05 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Ahh, the Whiplash truck! That thing has been around at least since I was in high school, if not longer. IIRC, it used to be 4g63 powered, though it may have gone through several more iterations throughout the years.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/5/19 3:41 p.m.

Perhaps some of the not-so-good examples:

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/5/19 3:46 p.m.

Then some better example (IMO)

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
3/5/19 4:27 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
3/5/19 4:43 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
3/5/19 4:44 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
3/5/19 5:39 p.m.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
3/5/19 6:12 p.m.

If you were 5 years old in the early 90's you could still partake in the minitruck craze. I had several of these which I chopped up, lowered and painted like the trucks in the magazines. Just like the real minitrucks they were cheap and disposable so they all got tossed eventually. I had to find this one on ebay.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/5/19 6:15 p.m.

In high school and a bit after 03-08 my buddy Kevin was still obsessed with mini trucks. He owned an s10 with a 327 that he drag raced but his baby was an ext cab with a static 6/8 drop. Had a speaker wall instead of backseats though. He went through close too 10 other slammed mini trucks over the  years. He tore the ext cab apart after a lady pulled out in front of it and ended up parting it. Last I knew he still had the entire airbag set up never installed in his dads garage.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/5/19 8:16 p.m.

Here is mine...

da_bmxican
da_bmxican New Reader
4/16/24 10:40 p.m.

New generation keeping the dream alive!

04 Nissan Frontier 4/5 drop with 85 Honda 200x

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/17/24 6:51 a.m.

In reply to da_bmxican :

Love the rear roll pan! Looks awesome with the bumper delete. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/17/24 11:53 a.m.

In reply to da_bmxican :

Nice. Thanks for sharing. 

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
4/17/24 5:49 p.m.

I love this thread coming back! It's like meeting up with long lost buddies. I miss my 89, should have never gotten rid of it. I am on the fence about if I want to bag the 79 or keep it static

My 79 Toyota

GCrites
GCrites Dork
4/17/24 9:16 p.m.

Last one I saw got drafted back into work for a painting contractor. People who treat used trucks as consumables don't seem to care what they get. Silverado SS'es, Lincoln Blackwoods, Dodge Pace Trucks, maybe even Raptors in a few years.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/18/24 9:30 a.m.

Somewhere here in my office, I have some vintage minitruck magazines. Or, I did at one point. 

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
4/18/24 10:26 a.m.

May as well post some of mine that I sold a couple years ago.

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
4/18/24 5:27 p.m.
GCrites said:

Last one I saw got drafted back into work for a painting contractor. People who treat used trucks as consumables don't seem to care what they get. Silverado SS'es, Lincoln Blackwoods, Dodge Pace Trucks, maybe even Raptors in a few years.

Especially Toyotas, SO many old pickups and Tacomas that are used as just throw away work trucks. And as far as tye really old Toyotas like mine or the Datsuns, Mighty Max's, hell even S10's, Ranger's, Hardbody's, they're either completely rotted and still want too much or completely restored.

I wish I wouldn't of got rid of all my old Minitruckin, Sport Truck, and Import magazines. I have a few that stayed but damnit!

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/18/24 7:16 p.m.

Mine is probably more of a Ute or Bakkie than a proper minitruck but I still feel like it is germane to the topic.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2kcToeH36VkFIbc0VUhc71gRTV2HnI1WSwn3BBOvQAa81M8GxzqmMudkCzn7w9nw