2 3 4 5
RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/18/24 7:23 p.m.

You know what happens to the mini trucks?  We all started to suck and stop building them.  That's my theory and I'm part of the problem,  years ago my daily was a bagged s10.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/24 8:28 a.m.

Trent bringing the fwd into play

and soon....

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/19/24 8:46 a.m.
RonnieFnD said:

You know what happens to the mini trucks?  We all started to suck and stop building them.  That's my theory and I'm part of the problem,  years ago my daily was a bagged s10.

Very little raw material left on the market anymore. The manufacturers quit building little, inexpensive trucks.

I remember when I was in high school, the local Isuzu dealer sold brand new trucks for 99 dollars down and 99 dollars per month. He had hundreds of them on the lot. The streets were crawling with small trucks of every brand. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/19/24 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

There's plenty, just have to look where it doesn't rust. You also have to accept the fact you aren't going to get one for $500 anymore. It's going to be $5k.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/19/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Love the conquest wheels on the back.

I fully admit that I was never really into the mini truck scene. I guess you could say I admired it from afar? I dunno. I always thought it was a cool car culture genre.

But I'll be damned if I haven't thought about bagging my Ford Maverick. It's a 2wd hybrid so it will never have any off-road capability; might as well drop it, right?

I have an Eibach lowering kit that's still in the box and some 20" takeoffs from a Mach-e GT. I think that will look pretty good but some people on the Maverick forums have gone bagged. And I dig it. I just don't have $5k+ for the air bag kits.

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
4/19/24 4:54 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Come on don't be shy! This might help get the credit card outwinkhttps://www.fittedvisions.com/products/copy-of-21-22-ford-maverick-air-struts-uas-bags

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
4/19/24 4:59 p.m.
chandler said:

and soon....

First off, Dakota, sick! Second, that Caddy with a camper looks rad but ummmm third...you uhhh would be willing to sell those Volks you got on that Dakota? Pretty please!

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/24 5:41 p.m.
NickF40 said:
chandler said:

and soon....

First off, Dakota, sick! Second, that Caddy with a camper looks rad but ummmm third...you uhhh would be willing to sell those Volks you got on that Dakota? Pretty please!

PM me, Ive got a few sets. They are my kryptonite.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
4/19/24 5:56 p.m.

I always wondered what happened to all the Mini trucks that were made into convertibles ?

that was a big thing , and you know most were financed  and probably a lot got repossessed !

There are still a lot of 80s-90s ratty but mostly rust free mini trucks  around here , 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/24 6:02 p.m.

Sitting in garages

he wants more than I want to pay though....

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/19/24 7:20 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

There's plenty, just have to look where it doesn't rust. You also have to accept the fact you aren't going to get one for $500 anymore. It's going to be $5k.

I'm a lifelong resident of Texas. We don't get rust here. There's not much worth looking at here for raw material. Missing titles or hopeless derelicts are a lion's share of the ones on the market. 

I speak mini truck. Here's my first one. It was a 1990 Nissan. Picture was taken in 1992

And my Mazda. Picture is about a year ago. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/19/24 7:40 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
RonnieFnD said:

Very little raw material left on the market anymore. The manufacturers quit building little, inexpensive trucks.

I remember when I was in high school, the local Isuzu dealer sold brand new trucks for 99 dollars down and 99 dollars per month. He had hundreds of them on the lot. The streets were crawling with small trucks of every brand. 

The local Chevy dealer bought a ton of strippo S-10s and was selling them similarly cheap. Manual trans, no A/C, no radio.

This was 1996ish.  The rounded body trucks.  Oddly enough the rear bumper delete option cost extra, so those trucks had regular bumpers.

My older cousin bought one new. I'd like to say it was $12k out the door.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/19/24 7:41 p.m.

Holy ten year old thread flashback Batman!

I have enjoyed seeing some of the dropped Mavericks running around.

GCrites
GCrites Dork
4/19/24 8:41 p.m.

and soon....

So Starquest wheels fit on 1st Gen Dakotas. I doubt I'll ever use this information but as they say in Mortal Kombat, "There is no knowledge that is not power."

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/19/24 9:14 p.m.

Early dakotas are 5x114 so lots of fun stuff fits them. They changed in 1991 iirc to 6 lug.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/19/24 9:16 p.m.
chandler said:

Early dakotas are 5x114 so lots of fun stuff fits them. They changed in 1991 iirc to 6 lug.

Which can be backdated all the way back from 03 or 04. Just need the control arms, spindles, and brakes. Moser makes "blank" axles that can be drilled to 5x4.5, then just need the 1st gen drums.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/20/24 4:38 p.m.

Always liked mini trucks. Nothing is mini anymore....even Mini's aren't mini. They should be called Kindasmall Cooper's. Hoping the upcoming (wishful thinking maybe) Toyota Stout will at least be on the "small" side and in the $20K range. Really like the Santa Cruz but still sort of big and expensive for me. Aren't there still a selection of mini trucks being sold in South America?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/21/24 1:13 p.m.

This was this past weekend.... (stolen from my photog buddy via FB)

GCrites
GCrites Dork
4/21/24 6:05 p.m.

^In the weeds!

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
4/21/24 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I pulled this thread back up because last thursday night I saw a couple slammed Nissan hardbody trucks heading up I-40 towards Asheville! Guess I know where they were headed!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/23/24 2:59 p.m.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/23/24 3:59 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
Ranger50 said:

I'm a lifelong resident of Texas. We don't get rust here. There's not much worth looking at here for raw material. Missing titles or hopeless derelicts are a lion's share of the ones on the market. 

I speak mini truck. Here's my first one. It was a 1990 Nissan. Picture was taken in 1992

And my Mazda. Picture is about a year ago. 

surprise to both of them. 

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
4/24/24 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I wanted to go to the Nats so bad these past few years.  Hopefully next year! Definetly one of the best shows to go to nowadays as far as Minis go. Carlisle had gotten a little better but the Nats totally blow it out of the water.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/24/24 8:35 p.m.
2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P3VJXJ6dQLZXZjfZLvsoqFw59IU4j9Xk23lMXeRledKwAIlfWiy36aJCYeBAVChx