2 3 4 5
fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
11/30/10 5:09 p.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: Have more balls, screw the advertizers,

That'll get you off TV pretty quick. One difference between the UK and US versions- in the US version the advertisers pay the bills. And I bet, as a result, airing on cable, the budget is a lot lower.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/30/10 5:28 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Prior to driving down the snow covered hill he was driving up a bunch of dirty, muddy roads - earlier in the segment the car was filthy, then the filth was covered with snow all the way to the roof, then he pulled into the parking lot in a perfectly clean car.

The EVO is such a badass car he had time to run through a car wash and grab a big mac before heading to the finish DUH!

Geez, the way some of you talk its like the show just smacked your mama! If you don't like it watch something else, or go have a root canal. I think its entertaining, plus the UK version isn't ending so its a win-win.

GreenFlag
GreenFlag New Reader
11/30/10 6:30 p.m.

TGUK at VIR

Slyp_Dawg wrote:

GreenFlag wrote:
Kiponator wrote: I will say my main issue with those 2 guys is that there is NO WAY they are driving the cars when they are cutting back and forth from exterior and interior shots. I doubt Hammond, May and Clarkson are always driving for their segments either -- but at least the illusion doesn't strain common sense to the point that it is completely shattered.
Having seen the boys from TGUK in action here stateside, they actually are pretty good behind the wheel. Can't go into details until the show airs, but they were keeping a pretty brisk pace around VIR Full with only a few orientation laps before they started. Several VIR 'regulars' had a hard time catching them. And, yes, Jezza really does drift around every turn he takes.

tease. and VIR is pretty much the closest track to me, maybe a few miles closer than Summit Point. at least tell us when the episode is supposed to air

Haven't heard where in the next season it will appear. I saw in TG magazine that season 16 should start early next year. Jalopnik is a good place to see some teaser photos from their US road trip. Here is the link to VIR: http://jalopnik.com/5640856/top-gear-brings-exotic-trio-to-virginia-raceway

They were in NC around Grandfather mountain prior to VIR and then in NYC after.

Tac
Tac New Reader
11/30/10 7:48 p.m.

It's not like the UK version is much different, nor is it the be all end all for a car show either. You guys are ragging about the drifting and helicopter chases, but how is that any worse from the pointless stunts on the UK version. Racing against boats, testing cars on a beach, lame shootouts, etc. I think both shows put entertainment first.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/30/10 7:50 p.m.
Tac wrote: It's not like the UK version is much different, nor is it the be all end all for a car show either. You guys are ragging about the drifting and helicopter chases, but how is that any worse from the pointless stunts on the UK version. Racing against boats, testing cars on a beach, lame shootouts, etc. I think both shows put entertainment first.

Or racing a car vs. a fighter jet.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/30/10 7:53 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
After racing two skiers down a snowy slope in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X in episode two, the car from which Foust hurriedly exits is dry and shiny. Continuity?
Yeah, I noticed that...it looked like it had just been detailed.

well current/future sponsor Mitsubishi doesn't want people to see the Evo all dirty, now do they?

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
11/30/10 7:53 p.m.
Tac wrote: It's not like the UK version is much different, nor is it the be all end all for a car show either. You guys are ragging about the drifting and helicopter chases, but how is that any worse from the pointless stunts on the UK version. Racing against boats, testing cars on a beach, lame shootouts, etc. I think both shows put entertainment first.

That's exactly my point. If I'm going to see the same thing, I want to watch the version with the awesome hosts, better camera work, and cool accents.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/30/10 7:56 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Ripoff, unoriginal, copy cat - blah blah blah. Top Gear is a FRANCHISE. Just like every Subway, MCDonald's, WalMart, Costco, etc look the same inside. Do you guys go on the interwebs and bitch about how each sammich shop looks the same? It is the same because the BBC owns all the rights and that's the way the BBC wants it. You guys really need to get over that.

Actually, that's an interesting comparison.

But if we're using McDonald's.....TG UK is the real thing. And TG US has the same logo, but the burger patties are made of tofu, the soda is watered down, and the fries are cold.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/1/10 6:23 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Cone_Junky wrote: Ripoff, unoriginal, copy cat - blah blah blah. Top Gear is a FRANCHISE. Just like every Subway, MCDonald's, WalMart, Costco, etc look the same inside. Do you guys go on the interwebs and bitch about how each sammich shop looks the same? It is the same because the BBC owns all the rights and that's the way the BBC wants it. You guys really need to get over that.
Actually, that's an interesting comparison. But if we're using McDonald's.....TG UK is the real thing. And TG US has the same logo, but the burger patties are made of tofu, the soda is watered down, and the fries are cold.

That sounds like exactly the sort of McDonald's[+] I'd expect in some of the more tofu-obsessed parts of California. McDonald's are not the same the world over.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/518661/mcdonalds_in_india_wheres_the_beef.html

McDonalds in India provides westerners with a little taste of home. Just don't expect the menu to be the same as it is in the U.S. Among other differences, you won't find beef on the menu. Diets in India are often impacted by the many different religions in India. Hindus don't eat beef, so there is no beef on the McDonalds' menu in India. Muslims don't eat pork, so the McDonalds Corporation in India is quick to point out on their website (mcdonaldsinindia.com) that not only is there no beef, there is no pork or pork byproducts in any McDonalds restaurant in India. Additionally, with the high number of vegetarians in India, about half of the menu at McDonalds in India is vegetarian, which makes it a good choice for diners who want some healthy options - whether or not they are vegetarian.

The article goes on to describe menu items like the Chicken Maharaja Mac, Veg McCurry Pan, Paneer Salsa Wrap (with a patty made of a milk product that is supposed to be like a cross between tofu and cottage cheese), McAloo Tikki (with a patty made of potatoes, peas, and spices)

The fast food franchise is a perfect analogy. McDonald's offers a similar experience where ever you go, but it is NOT the exact same experience. If you want exactly what you are used to, stick to the same country you are accustomed to.

This is also true of Top Gear. In episode one of TG US, had a bit that was similar to TG UK (a military helicopter chased a sports car.) If you like that sort of thing - and I do - you will probably find it entertaining. [!] This is true unless you are VERY picky. If the sports car in your helicopter chase scene MUST be a lotus, and the driver MUST make snide comments about the helicopter's "soft American underbelly" stick to Top Gear UK. If your burger and fries from Micky D's MUST taste like the ones down the street, stay in the USA.

The TG US skits will look similar to the TG UK skits because it is Top Gear....a money making entertainment franchise. The experience won't be exactly the same the world around, though. If that's what you need, grab a torrent or hang out at CastTV.

[+] - do they use the apostrophe? I thought they threw grammar out the window years ago...

[!] - Entertaining, not informative. Top Gear - the modern UK version, anyway - has always been very heavy on entertainment and funny dialog and very low on information.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
12/1/10 8:20 a.m.

I enjoyed it. I don't expect it to be much more than entertainment.

- Rutlege's interview
- blind drifter

Dislikes:
- still sounds like they're reading off a script, rather than acting; quite a bit of the inflection totally didn't match the diction (word choice). They're not delivering the lines passionately or naturally yet.
- Anyone who doesn't know how to do a burnout shouldn't be a host of a car show.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/1/10 8:51 a.m.
gamby wrote:
nicksta43 wrote: I smiled and laughed all the way through it. After all tha hate for this and gt5 I'm beginning to think the only thing ya'll do like is miatas and bacon.
Yep--it's a lot of contrarianism. People just want to hate for the sake of hating. If TGUK didn't exist, there is literally NOTHING on television that could touch TGUS in terms of car shows. It's not phenomenal (like TGUK), but it's certainly good. This episode was 100% better than the premiere. Already, everyone is more at-ease on camera. Also--way better move having Ruttlidge do the celeb interview. I was genuinely entertained by it.

I understand the "haters gon' hate" sentiment. That said, I really wanted to like this show. I'm trying. I've watched 2 episodes all the way through. Problem is, I can find nothing I like about any of the hosts.

I would love to hang out with the UK guys. The US guys are the sort of douche-nozzles I would politely avoid.

Specifically, the "Eeeeh yoooo, I'm from folkin' Jersey" guy sucks so badly, he doesn't even pull of the stereotype well. The big "Hey guys, I'm the big nerdy, quirky smart one" does not strike me as smart, or even quirky. I have furniture that has more personality than the other dude.

And yes, I will talk about how badly it sucks, because it obviously has the potential to be really awesome, and I hope they get there.

I learned the British lie.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/1/10 11:24 a.m.
scardeal wrote: I enjoyed it. I don't expect it to be much more than entertainment. Likes: - Evo segment - Rutlege's interview - blind drifter Dislikes: - still sounds like they're reading off a script, rather than acting; quite a bit of the inflection totally didn't match the diction (word choice). They're not delivering the lines passionately or naturally yet. - Anyone who doesn't know how to do a burnout shouldn't be a host of a car show.

agreed on the personality being a bit dry, but that will hopefully improve with more time together.

i think the crap burnout might have had at least a bit to do with the redline clutch drop of the previous contestant. i think they used a different color car for the rest of the challenge.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
12/1/10 11:31 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:
scardeal wrote: I enjoyed it. I don't expect it to be much more than entertainment. Likes: - Evo segment - Rutlege's interview - blind drifter Dislikes: - still sounds like they're reading off a script, rather than acting; quite a bit of the inflection totally didn't match the diction (word choice). They're not delivering the lines passionately or naturally yet. - Anyone who doesn't know how to do a burnout shouldn't be a host of a car show.
agreed on the personality being a bit dry, but that will hopefully improve with more time together. i think the crap burnout might have had at least a bit to do with the redline clutch drop of the previous contestant. i think they used a different color car for the rest of the challenge.

No, the hosts used one color car, the blind guy used another. The New York comedian guy sucks... no need to make excuses. Just wait for next week when they are likely to edit it to make it look like that jackhole hooning around in a manual car, expecting us to believe it.

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
12/1/10 4:20 p.m.

I think tanner opened up ALOT, is he a leading man, NO, but could he fill in for hamsters role? SURE! Rutlidge is a sorry excuse for clarkson, obviously has little previous car experience BEHIND THE WHEEL of a street car... the third guy is I dont know how bad.... I mean really, berkeleying terrible.... dry, not funny, its like he is the odd man out, he just dosent fit with the other 2 well at all, his sarcasm is not poking and joking it is mean spirited and takes away from any joke he makes, he needs to go yesterday

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/1/10 4:47 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: [!] - Entertaining, not informative. Top Gear - the modern UK version, anyway - has always been very heavy on entertainment and funny dialog and very low on information.

car shows SHOULD be heavy on entertainment and funny dialogue and farily low on information. Because no matter how "informational" a show it, every single one of us can find 100x more tech information on any car - Lambo to Lemon - by getting on our computers. The difference is, internet forums, car manufacturer sites, edmunds.com....none of these are particularly entertaining.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/1/10 4:50 p.m.
Gimp wrote: . The New York comedian guy sucks...

wait, Adam is a comedian?

no wonder he went to TG....he most definitely woudn't be able to make a living at his "chosen" profession.....

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/1/10 5:03 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
JoeyM wrote: [!] - Entertaining, not informative. Top Gear - the modern UK version, anyway - has always been very heavy on entertainment and funny dialog and very low on information.
car shows SHOULD be heavy on entertainment and funny dialogue and farily low on information. Because no matter how "informational" a show it, every single one of us can find 100x more tech information on any car - Lambo to Lemon - by getting on our computers. The difference is, internet forums, car manufacturer sites, edmunds.com....none of these are particularly entertaining.

I agree. I'll go one further: I don't care when they lie during the show (e.g. making it seem that James May was piloting the caravan-airship, claiming that they didn't have clearance to enter the airport's airspace, etc.)as long as it is entertaining. I don't believe that any car is fueled by "minced lions", either, but I giggled when Clarkson said that.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/1/10 6:04 p.m.

I saw the second episode last night on. Huge improvment over the first. I lol'd a number times, particularly during the blind drift. The thing that I hope changes as the show moves forward is the voice overs. All three hosts seem to have the same manner of speaking and pitch for their voice. When they switch back and forth with voice overs in a segment, I wasn't always sure who was talking.

GreenFlag
GreenFlag New Reader
12/7/10 3:35 p.m.

Looks like the TGUK US road trip episode will be airing this month in the UK. Maybe it won't be too long before it makes its way to BBCA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/next_episode.shtml

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/7/10 4:14 p.m.

Good point. The first two episodes of the UK series 16 are on Dec. 21 and 26 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_episodes#Series_Sixteen

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
12/7/10 5:49 p.m.

I haven't watched the third episode, but is anyone else totally NOT impressed with any of the driving that Tanner has done? I mean on this guy's wiki page it says he is an "accomplished rally racer" and I guess he won Formula D twice in a row..? The blind guy did a better job with the boot-leg parallel parking and Tanner's drifting/driving has all been uninspiring at best. Anyone else feel the same?

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
12/7/10 5:51 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: I haven't watched the third episode, but is anyone else totally NOT impressed with any of the driving that Tanner has done? I mean on this guy's wiki page it says he is an "accomplished rally racer" and I guess he won Formula D twice in a row..? The blind guy did a better job with the boot-leg parallel parking and Tanner's drifting/driving has all been uninspiring at best. Anyone else feel the same?

No.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
12/7/10 6:24 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: I haven't watched the third episode, but is anyone else totally NOT impressed with any of the driving that Tanner has done?

Watch for yourself. Tanner is a great driver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7gs0D1zaY

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/8/10 1:17 p.m.

yeah, I liked Tanner vs the Chopper (the only one Ive watched thus far. ) But Ive seen some of his other stuff on Speed channel, and his drifting, and I rather enjoy him, plus i think he speaks well about what makes a particular car fun, or boring, or what is better about this vs that etc.

They need to replace the current Adam with Mr. Carolla - car guy who is also funny as hell

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6I5gQXx3X5VRhsEQqtAswE0wD5UYvTmzJz6K1mlC1a1y3DXyTPJTUsFUzeUy8Kaz