1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
4/1/20 10:41 p.m.

I think an Audi S7 might be the move here. Damn good automatic transmission, the sure grip of Quattro, a raucous small-displacement turbo 8 and gorgeous design and materials.

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
4/1/20 10:47 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

FYI - Macan's do indeed have PDK trans and not a traditional auto.  

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/2/20 12:48 a.m.

Seconding the suggestion to check out a Maserati 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/2/20 3:57 p.m.
Grinch337 said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. Test drive  was great, I can definitely see why these are so popular.  The Macan S  just didn't quite have enough power or sound. New exhaust and an aftermarket tune might be enough? Maybe a Macan GTS is what I really want.  Back to auto tempest to continue the search.  My motorhome just sold so my bank account got a ten grand injection.  Corvette sale is not looking quite as optimistic.  I may have to sell it much cheaper than I had planned.  

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
4/2/20 9:46 p.m.

No problem.   Also check out the timing chain cover leak that occurs.   It doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem and requires the engine to be removed to fix it.  I know it happens on the S's, but not sure about the GTS's.  I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the risk on a crossover, even if it's a Porsche.

The GTS's are worth it but there is a big price jump even on the used market and they were out of my price range, so I didn't look to much into them. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
4/2/20 11:44 p.m.

Eh, after reading through these suggestions i think you should probably go drive that Panamera so you can give up on what might be a semi-pointless search. 

My personal 'super saloon' temptation right now is a Quattroporte GT S.  It's definitely not as good a car as a Panamera overall, but I already have a Cayenne i plan to eventually replace with another Cayenne, and I already had a 996 which i plan to replace with another 911. I am not trying to cover ALL my bases with Porsches. cheeky

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/3/20 12:12 p.m.
Petrolburner said:
Grinch337 said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. Test drive  was great, I can definitely see why these are so popular.  The Macan S  just didn't quite have enough power or sound. New exhaust and an aftermarket tune might be enough? Maybe a Macan GTS is what I really want.  Back to auto tempest to continue the search.  My motorhome just sold so my bank account got a ten grand injection.  Corvette sale is not looking quite as optimistic.  I may have to sell it much cheaper than I had planned.  

Told you. You can tun the turbo motors to the moon. But the GTS really is the sweet spot and you can get one in the low 40's but not certified. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZnIuKi7Y3iepbJxFF5v5dohGd9un2cdRVj8GoyZUVg1hUJTGvT5ca7HgX5g0rvMX