1 2
Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 9:56 p.m.

Is there any reason one of these

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1994-gmc-box-truck/6512766800.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-chevy-30-cargo-box-truck/6541653016.html

and a set of these

Ramps

doesn't = cheap race car hauler? 
(note my particular brand of cheap race car happens to be a miata)

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
3/26/18 10:01 p.m.

It was a tight squeeze when I moved a miata in a 17 footer. The measurements say they fit in a 14, but it's gonna be really snug. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
3/26/18 10:17 p.m.

I remember a write up on motoiq about using a box truck as a race car hauler. 

Here you go:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2425/The-Ultimate-No-Budget-Racecar-Transporter.aspx

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 10:20 p.m.

Yeah I remember that one too.

and then I saw this one when searching around today

International Hauler

They are just so much cheaper than 3/4ton pickups etc

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 10:21 p.m.
RevRico said:

It was a tight squeeze when I moved a miata in a 17 footer. The measurements say they fit in a 14, but it's gonna be really snug. 

That's surprising, I guess it depends on how much stuff you were also carrying and how much room you felt comfortable on either end

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 10:26 p.m.

Then again maybe a 1500 dollar ramp truck is a better answer

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/86-ford-ramp-truck-tow-truck/6536826718.html

or this dodge

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/26/18 10:28 p.m.
Jaynen said:

International Haule

why do you need a 3/4 ton pickup to haul a racecar? 

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
3/26/18 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

That's Uhaul breakdown of a 15 foot truck.not showing the 6 or 8 inches for the door on the back too. 

Na miata length is 156" or 13 feet. 

I fully support this idea and have thought about it myself, I just think you need to go up a size or two in truck box.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 10:43 p.m.
irish44j said:
Jaynen said:

International Haule

why do you need a 3/4 ton pickup to haul a racecar? 

You don't I was making a comment more about tow vehicles in general and how much pickups are, most box trucks tend to be spec'd like 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks which is why I made the comparison

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 10:45 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Jaynen :

That's Uhaul breakdown of a 15 foot truck.not showing the 6 or 8 inches for the door on the back too. 

Na miata length is 156" or 13 feet. 

I fully support this idea and have thought about it myself, I just think you need to go up a size or two in truck box.

So without the cab over portion would they measure from the actual floorspace on the truck? Like the one below says 14' box

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 10:48 p.m.

Here's a 24' gasser for 3700 bucks that says it runs fine and has good tires. Not sure NC laws on using something like this for personal use or if you have to mod it to be an RV etc

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/26/18 11:02 p.m.

This went for under $1,200 at the impound.  True it needed work but...also who the feck is gonna think to steal a race-car out the back of that! smiley

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/26/18 11:04 p.m.

Think you could combine that with this?

Trailer Lift 2900 bucks

So you could stack two cars in it? The deck height on the uhauls is definitely an advantage

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/26/18 11:08 p.m.

Bumping this box van, shoulda said tow pig w/ shelves, bins and generator built in. Tow pig not car hauler. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/26/18 11:10 p.m.

Next up.  How to incorporate a loading dock to your garage build.  Hint.  Use Texas Highway spec concrete.  laugh  I am actually deadly serious. smiley

codrus
codrus UltraDork
3/27/18 2:36 a.m.

Never done it myself, but from what I've read, loading is somewhat tricky and the ride in the cab is pretty harsh.

Since they're usually owned by businesses, it's likely that there are a bunch of extra registration & weight fees as compared on a pickup.  Presumably if it's an ex-rental truck you can drive it with a standard non-commercial license, but worth checking.  Call your insurance guy to find out what a liability policy costs as well. 

Oh, and you'll probably have to stop at freeway weigh stations.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/27/18 5:42 a.m.

In reply to codrus :

Plus tires aren’t cheap, and there’s 6 of them. Brakes are usually quite a bit more expensive too. 

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/27/18 7:18 a.m.

There are not too many solutions to transporting 2 miatas to a race track ideally and also bringing along a wife/family approved living area.

Class A + 28ft enclosed

Super C + 28ft enclosed

1ton truck + Bed camper (only for racers not family +28ft enclosed

Box Truck+ Stacker+ family travel trailer? (as mentioned not like the family would want to ride around in the box truck however)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/27/18 7:31 a.m.

Perhaps a bus?  Lower lift height, even lower with an axle flip; more room inside, for a Miata use a short bus.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
3/27/18 7:51 a.m.

You would want to see if the box has a flat floor, or if there are big fenders sticking up out of the floor, and if so would they cause problems. Also you would have to be pretty limber because you will most likely be going in and out the car through the window with a trailer wall right next to you. A good winch at the front would be a necessity for days that the race car isn't able to drive itself in. You may want to winch it even when it is running since your car probably isn't geared to drive slowly up a ramp. Strapping it down inside the box probably won't be much fun, especially in the front, but it will be doable. I doubt those have sufficient tie down points so that would need to be added. You may be able to recoup some of the purchase by renting the truck to people that are moving or need to haul big stuff, or at least win some good will with your friends and neighbors. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
3/27/18 1:58 p.m.

I love my box truck, zero reason not to buy one. 

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/27/18 1:58 p.m.

How are the box truck for towing? I am thinking that a setup like below would be ideal:

You can buy a cheap box truck for a lot less than a similar pickup. You have a nice box for all your tools/tires/hammock etc...

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
3/27/18 2:06 p.m.
fanfoy said:

How are the box truck for towing? I am thinking that a setup like below would be ideal:

You can buy a cheap box truck for a lot less than a similar pickup. You have a nice box for all your tools/tires/hammock etc...

Tows like a champ. I will sleep in it, has all my tools and a work area.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/27/18 2:18 p.m.

Did you see the one I posted before? 10k for both, has a workbench etc in the trailer and a table and looks like maybe a bathroom etc and stuff all in the back of the truck

"

Description

1998 FORD E-450 7.3 RUNS GREAT.180.000 MILES NEW TIRES HAS SINK-SHOWER -FRIG-WATER TANK.NEW STEREO-CB RADIO- NICE "

CABNETS-TRAILER IS 04 TEAM SPIRIT-24 FT-NEW TIRES-WINCH-AIR COMP-WORK BENCH WITH BUILT IN TOOL BOX-CLEANING TANK-TIRE RACK-110 WIRED AND LIGHTS.TOO MUCH PIT PAL STUFF TO LIST.GREAT FOR MOD-SPRINT OR GO KARTS.

Sweet setup

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/27/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

We posted at the same time. Nice setup. Do you mind sharing what the interior of the box looks like?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QQI3rjHqvC1nnzTmivzluqVtwVD6m11NNDzSW8tXnBcxl02qsnv1Z7WJMTcdOsPA