1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 7:52 p.m.

I am getting this for free on Sunday. What the hell to do with it? I thought I was getting a 71 until these pics rolled in. E36 M3... Anyway, free is free. Thoughts?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
9/2/16 7:55 p.m.

Bitchin!

Bumper tuck, hit it with the lowering stick, and you've got retro-cool.

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
9/2/16 8:03 p.m.

I think you need to give it to me so that I can build a budget twin turbo 302 hoon ute.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
9/2/16 8:05 p.m.

I also vote for hoon ute

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 8:12 p.m.

I am thinking mad max treatment. It has a 400 (supposedly, since it is also a "71"). It needs work but I am totally up for a ghetto fuel injection setup with a huge China turbo.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
9/2/16 8:14 p.m.

Then here's some inspiration:

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
9/2/16 8:17 p.m.

That's begging for some 15 X 12 steelies wrapped in 315s all the way around.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/2/16 8:21 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: I am thinking mad max treatment. It has a 400 (supposedly, since it is also a "71"). It needs work but I am totally up for a ghetto fuel injection setup with a huge China turbo.

If you're saying that you think it is a 1971 model; I don't think so.
Square headlights did not become legal in the US until 1976, I believe.

Very cool either way.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
9/2/16 8:23 p.m.
Stampie wrote: That's begging for some 15 X 12 steelies wrapped in 315s all the way around.

I may be willing to fund this idea

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 8:26 p.m.

Oh no, I am 100 percent positive that isn't a 71. I hadnt seen the car when I agreed to take it. The current owner swore it was a 71. It is a 77-79. Comes with a title and is a California car so rust shouldn't be an issue (new for me being from MO).

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

I would definitely be happy to take donations

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
9/2/16 8:48 p.m.

Way cool. Mod carefully as body parts will be hard to find. I vote is fat rubber and a big block

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
9/2/16 9:17 p.m.

Fond memories of those cars. My buddies first car was a 77 Ranchero GT with a big block in it. Stuck lifter, his mom spilled won ton soup on the carpet the day he got it and it BAKED rancid smells in to it, and an 8 track player with Queen's News of the World stuck in it. This was in 2001. We weren't hipsters, just poor.

J turns, burnouts, jumping railroad tracks. Young and dumb in a brown on brown Ranchero with the white hockey stripes.

All you need is the obligatory "This is not an El Camino" license plate frame.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 9:23 p.m.

My biggest problem is my utter lack of funds. This is going to end up being one ghetto ass build unless it takes 3 years.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
9/2/16 9:57 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I think literally every late-model Ranchero build is a ghetto ass build by definition. I'd be afraid of what someone with a Ranchero would do to it if they somehow accidentally found a ton of money.

Myself, I'd probably end up building a road-racing one with wide fives and riveted-on overfenders.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/2/16 10:27 p.m.

id turn it into a tow rig for my wagon. thats like my second choice for a truck

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/2/16 10:31 p.m.

Googled "pro touring ranchero"

Close enough.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/2/16 10:44 p.m.

Rumor has it that next year's $2,017 challenge is going to have a truck subclass. Hint hint

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 11:18 p.m.

Time to find a 300 ci straight six and add some boost!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/2/16 11:18 p.m.

I liked what Aussie did with his.

I'm getting ready for sleep, otherwise I would hunt down the thread and post a link. (On a tablet so posting and such, to me at least, can be a pain.)

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
9/2/16 11:19 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: Rumor has it that next year's $2,017 challenge is going to have a truck subclass. Hint hint

Just trucks or would it include stuff converted to a truck?

Bruce

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/2/16 11:46 p.m.

In reply to egnorant:

Yes, a converted hurse counts

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
9/3/16 12:24 a.m.

I'll give you what you paid for it..

Those years were built on a chassis that is as solid as they come: fully boxed perimeter frame stamped out of 1/8" thick steel. Find an LTD II "S" model for a parts donor and you get a tight ratio (for such a big car) Saginaw steering box and stiffer springs.. they handle amazingly well for something pushing past the 4500 pound mark on the scale.. get some takeoff P71 17" steelies or Cobra aluminum 5 spokes and ride in style..

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/3/16 12:45 a.m.

I vote fender flares and wide,low,shaved. Then a modular v8.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
9/3/16 6:32 a.m.

Why swap out to another engine? With the parts available these days you can build the 400 to ridiculous power levels if desired.

Stock heads

Edelbrock Heads

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1i7cnRyQ403cDyKGcJ99cMKyHvrP6dxi5wBsrUGSN7pFrHe9VdCabcPhyNYmjFRq