1 2 3 4
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/25/24 11:55 p.m.

I don't know about trans options as it was only ever FWD but the Saturn LL0 puts out 124hp/122lbft in stock trim and being all aluminum they're a quite tossable 185 lbs.

The SOHC version is right around 98hp/112lbft with thar torque coming around 2300.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/26/24 12:05 a.m.

The Nissan/Datsun A12 with a 60 series 5 speed weighs in at 238lbs for the motor and trans. Add about 30lbs for a turbo set up.

A there are companies that can supply you with the turbo parts and modern fuel injection. A streeable set up will be around 175hp at the wheels. A more race focused one will be 200 at the wheels. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
6/26/24 6:49 a.m.
Shiver said:

I can't find anyone that can make an adapter plate for the rx-1 motor to opel gt 4 spd standard transmission. 

I wanted to be sarcastic and say (shocked face)

..but you came to the right place for this madness. And I don't think that is an appropriate welcome to GRM.

I can't help you but I'll be Watching with this newly resurrected ten year old topic with interest. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/26/24 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Shiver :

The concern I would have with a snowmobile engine (or motorcycle) would the potential lack of thrust bearings and not knowing how adding a clutch might impact the crank bearings. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/26/24 11:26 a.m.

Well, "lightest" means a sportbike engine. To make it RWD though involves some creativity, either using a chain drive, or starting with a shaft-drive bike engine. The trick with the latter will be finding a rear axle diff with a low enough ratio.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/26/24 12:04 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

I can't think of any shaft drive bikes that spin the right way to avoid running a diff upside down.

Running one north south and using a driveshaft adapter is easy peasy.

Certainly the lightest engine/trans combo short of maybe a 2 stroke sled engine and cvt belt drive.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/26/24 12:18 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

The Nissan/Datsun A12 with a 60 series 5 speed weighs in at 238lbs for the motor and trans. Add about 30lbs for a turbo set up.

A there are companies that can supply you with the turbo parts and modern fuel injection. A streeable set up will be around 175hp at the wheels. A more race focused one will be 200 at the wheels. 

Hmm, a Hyabusa drivetrain mounted mid-engine in a Datsun 1200. Must stop thinking of such nonsense...

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/26/24 3:57 p.m.
kb58 said:
Tom1200 said:

Hmm, a Hyabusa drivetrain mounted mid-engine in a Datsun 1200. Must stop thinking of such nonsense...

We have discussed this at my fabricators shop more than once................ironically the A12 engine and gearbox weigh the same as the Hayabusa engine/box. 

Also the Hayabusa engine will fit were the pasenger seat was.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
6/26/24 4:10 p.m.

The lighter the car the better for BEC. As car weight goes up, bike gearbox life goes down. This is why the MIatabusa build was bypassing the bike gearbox and bolting up to the Miata trans.

For a LOT of effort, and a lot of awesome, I've thought about how it could be possible to garage build an LS based (parallel or v) twin that would put out ~100hp and probably be pretty light.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
6/26/24 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I wonder how much one quarter of an LS would sound like a Harley............ya, I know the angle is different.

DancesWithCurves
DancesWithCurves New Reader
6/26/24 4:51 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I can't think of any shaft drive bikes that spin the right way to avoid running a diff upside down.

That would explain why they're nigh impossible to find in the wild. Would a front diff from a SxS UTV correct the rotation?

I've always wanted to see the drivetrain from a Concours 1400 or CTX1300 become the new heart of a RWD Mini. For an Opel GT, a Rocket III would put the pistons in the "right" axis while also keeping it Euro.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
6/26/24 5:13 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Driven5 :

I wonder how much one quarter of an LS would sound like a Harley............ya, I know the angle is different.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2021/05/two-cylinder-v-twin-chevy-engine/

Video with sound at the end.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
6/26/24 5:39 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Shiver said:

I can't find anyone that can make an adapter plate for the rx-1 motor to opel gt 4 spd standard transmission. 

I wanted to be sarcastic and say (shocked face)

..but you came to the right place for this madness. And I don't think that is an appropriate welcome to GRM.

I can't help you but I'll be Watching with this newly resurrected ten year old topic with interest. 

Somewhere deep in the google algorithm is a sub-routine that sends all the super weird automotive fabrication questions to the GRM forum. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/24 6:19 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to kb58 :

Running one north south and using a driveshaft adapter is easy peasy.

Certainly the lightest engine/trans combo short of maybe a 2 stroke sled engine and cvt belt drive.

All longitudinal Audis with a transaxle spin the driveshaft backwards.  It's an artifact of the original 016 transmissions, which for internal logistics took the power for the center diff a certain way, so the rear driveshaft spun opposite the engine.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/24 6:21 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Driven5 :

There was a company making LS-inspired V4s.  They were Not Cheap but the idea was awesome.  1800cc four cylinder motorcycle engine.

Caperix
Caperix Reader
6/26/24 6:25 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

What about a motus?  They were a 90 degree v4 that had similar design to an ls & made 180 horse. I have only ever seen one in person though.

Looks like the engine may be sold in crate form

https://americanv4.com/ 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/24 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Caperix :

That's the one!

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/26/24 8:52 p.m.

So one of the reasons we never did the Hayabusa was that you could get very close by simply turbocharging the Datsun A-series engine.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/26/24 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

But you miss out on the awesomeness that is 11000 rpm and sequential gearbox,not to mention considerable weight off the nose. :)

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/26/24 10:31 p.m.

Hey this is kinda fun, finding new and wonderous ways to spend other people's money instead of my own!

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/26/24 11:50 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

The Hayabusa engine isn't any lighter than the Datsun engine and gearbox.

Datsun A-Series engines will rev to 9K on the stock crank.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/27/24 6:55 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Datsun engine with turbo/intercooler/piping transmission etc is 175 lbs?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/27/24 3:57 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Last I checked the Hayabusa engine was 235lbs.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/27/24 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

About 180'ish from the locost forum which sounds right to me having weighed my complete R1 engine with oil and wiring harness coiled on top at 145lbs.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/27/24 5:24 p.m.

I was all set to correct the vast misinformation on Suzuki powertrains when I saw the photobucket thing and realized it was from days gone by.

Carry on.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
We9UCQTsI23vesLVd0DNSd3T0IKytKgauiKlKOM14qANoujGpH5hDoEGFPsnRHe5