mr2peak Reader
3/28/12 8:49 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Sorry man, but Batmobiles are cool.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UberDork
3/28/12 8:55 p.m.

Gatzby

He's been bringing this thing to Carlisle for years. He really thinks it's something special. Underneath, it's a rotted out Fairlane as I recall.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
3/28/12 8:59 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Aussie version of a kit Purvis Eureka

I like this....also kind of like the Lasers posted earlier.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/28/12 9:16 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Apparently we need a break from the versus threads, so how's this: What's the most hideous repli-car you know of? My entry: The Saleen S7 clone built on a C6 Corvette

Drop the roof scoop and make the gills in front of the rear wheels functional and thats pretty good IMO.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
3/28/12 9:21 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: IIRC its called a lazer? 917 replica built on a bug.. (HAH!)

I actually want one of these. It's done so poorly that it doesn't even look like they're trying to copy anything. Theyre just cool in their own right.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
3/28/12 9:28 p.m.

I actually built one of those things a long long time ago. Mine was a C type in Bass boat blue. They are actually a lot of fun to drive. I have a picture somewhere in the house before I started digging into it.

There are more then a few running around with tube chassis and big monster blown motors in the middle and G50's. So don't the diss the Laser. They made almost 600 or so of them over the years.

They also made a weird looking van that I really liked as well. I have a weird passion for 70-80's kit cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/28/12 10:13 p.m.

Corvette "789." Part 57, part 58, part59, part C5, all ugly.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
3/28/12 10:52 p.m.

I remember seeing Cannonball Run as a kid and being excited for about 0.5 seconds when I saw one of these on the road.

Such a buzzkill when even at 5 years old I noticed the proportions looked like they were drawn by someone with serious vision problems.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
3/28/12 11:18 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Corvette "789." Part 57, part 58, part59, part C5, all ugly.

Those things are truly vomit on wheels. What the hell is wrong with people?!

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
3/28/12 11:33 p.m.

There's some SN95 "New edge" Mustang GT running around town with a nose on it to make it resemble a S197 car. Not very convincingly, either. I think it has round sealed beam headlights, too.

I cringe when I see it. Cause the guy that owns it, he's hot E36 M3 ya know.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
3/29/12 1:11 a.m.

Gazelle:

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
3/29/12 7:13 a.m.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
3/29/12 7:31 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Gazelle:

Tha winna!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/29/12 7:39 a.m.

The Zimmer and Gazelle allegedly pay homage to the Mercedes 540K. Which was poorly proportioned and not in the least attractive itself.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/29/12 7:42 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: There's some SN95 "New edge" Mustang GT running around town with a nose on it to make it resemble a S197 car. Not very convincingly, either. I think it has round sealed beam headlights, too. I cringe when I see it. Cause the guy that owns it, he's hot E36 M3 ya know.

There was a girl in Charleston with a Dodge Ram pickup which had a last generation Mustang nose. It was a 'work in progress' or rolling restoration, each time I saw it there was primer etc in a different spot. The work appeared to be done well, too bad it was so freakin' ugly.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/29/12 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

You're looking beyond the proportions that matter to Mercedes fans.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
3/29/12 7:50 a.m.

It's too early to look at this stuff. Pass the tums....

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/29/12 7:51 a.m.

I don't think those look that bad. Usually they're well finished and let's face it, when there are a zillion C5 convertibles rolling around, these conversions offer something a little different.

The MiataStang, on the other hand... that was a real head-scratcher...

stanger_missle
stanger_missle New Reader
3/29/12 7:55 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: There's some SN95 "New edge" Mustang GT running around town with a nose on it to make it resemble a S197 car. Not very convincingly, either. I think it has round sealed beam headlights, too. I cringe when I see it. Cause the guy that owns it, he's hot E36 M3 ya know.

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_55_983_993&products_id=1078

Stupid tablet won't let me copy the pics correctly. I would seriously laugh in the face of someone who was dumb enough to buy this. It is a crime against nature. Somebody please post the pics!

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/29/12 8:07 a.m.
mr2peak wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Sorry man, but Batmobiles are cool.

I agree. That's not a batmobile. Thats a Corvette doing a poor imitation of a Batmobile.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/29/12 8:10 a.m.
Aeromoto wrote:
Those things are truly vomit on wheels. What the hell is wrong with people?!

I agree with you, but I think this thread has already shown that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
3/29/12 8:19 a.m.

There are several. I also subscribe to KitCar Builder magazine and just about every issue is a disappointment as it's either Cobra's or something incrediblty ugly and/or poorly designed.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/29/12 8:22 a.m.
RandyS wrote: There are several. I also subscribe to KitCar Builder magazine...

There is still enough interesting stuff to make it worth buying once in awhile. The amphi-car kit from the UK in the current issue based on a Samuri looks like fun.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/29/12 9:00 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
I actually want one of these. It's done so poorly that it doesn't even look like they're trying to copy anything. Theyre just cool in their own right.

There was one of these for sale in Sebring FL a couple of weeks ago. It was on the side of Kenilworth Blvd. on the way to the track. Very Hardcastle and McCormick......even if it isn't a Coyote.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin New Reader
3/29/12 9:22 a.m.

I can actually appreciate the efforts where they try to recreate an existing supercar, but don't have the cash to buy an original to pull molds from. They must be done entirely from magazine articles. My vote would actually be any performance car replica with volkswagon power. Its like lifting your new girlfriends dress over her head and finding a package.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZUOcYciAG0yMUS6qJTGh5JgQUed7FERzX6Id41031v7ccoEQhyKfkcNtYKhWOT3r